What file does Thunderbird use for keeping track of articles?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Larry Spitz, Sep 6, 2005.

  1. Larry Spitz

    Larry Spitz Guest

    I have been having some problems over the past few days in that although
    I see traffic on some newsgroups, I see none on some others, eg
    alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. I, at first presumed that it was a
    problem with my server: news.xtra.co.nz.

    I posted a test message to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and it
    showed up, so the server is not completely brain-damaged. I went to
    check .newsrc to see if there was something strange in the entry for
    that newsgroup.

    I was surprised to find that .newsrc had not been changed since August
    26, though I read news at least once a day and some newsgroups seem to
    be behaving normally.

    So I have two questions, one of which may not be appropriate for this
    newsgroup:

    Can anyone tell me how I could have no traffic on some newsgroups and
    not on others? I know that there has been activity since I can check
    usenet-replayer
    http://www.usenet-replayer.com/groups/alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.html

    Where does Thunderbird keep its "log"? (I do also have a .jnewsrc left
    over from my days of using slrn.)

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Larry

    Larry Spitz, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Larry Spitz

    Moz Champion Guest

    Newsgroup traffic depends entirely on how many current users there are
    and how active they are. Some groups 'activity' can vary widely, going
    from zero messages in a week (or a month) to dozens, even hundreds a day
    and then declining to near zero again. Some groups are 'moribund' and
    dont really see any meaningful traffic, but then explode into a frenzy
    of activity over some issue or post.

    For example, you read the newsgroup, did you post at all in them? Maybe
    everyone else was simply reading them, like you, waiting for somebody
    else to post.

    Each server may or may not be directly tied to the usenet feed, the feed
    may have lapsed. If the group is active on one server, but not on
    another, then perhaps the server no longer is accessing that group.
    Suggest you find a server that updates the group and keeps current.

    What do you mean by log?

    Moz Champion, Sep 6, 2005