    Am I barking up the wrong tree? What type of IOS do I need and what should
    I expect it to cost?

    Thank you for any help. - JW

    jwinters, Dec 21, 2004

  2. jwinters

    Ben Guest

    This just means it's a basic 'IP' feature set as opposed to the next one
    up 'IP PLUS' or beyond. If you're not planning on running any advanced
    features this should be fine. You can get a list of features for any
    image at www.cisco.com/go/fn

    cheers,
    Ben

    Ben, Dec 21, 2004

  3. jwinters

    jwinters Guest

    Thank you Ben,

    The URL you had requires a password. Do you know if this would work for
    ATM? Does the $12 sound way too low?

    I was expecting to see hundreds if not thousands of $$ just because of the
    Cisco name. ;)

    Again thank you for your response and help.

    jwinters, Dec 21, 2004
  4. $12 may be just for the media, and not the license. Make sure you buy from
    an authorized Cisco reseller, and get a valid license.

    http://www.cisco.com/go/ios has a lot of info on IOS and IOS licensing.

    IOS software selector (on that page) may help.

    What is the real problem you are trying to solve, before blindly throwing
    software at it?

    Phillip Remaker, Dec 21, 2004
  5. :The URL you had requires a password.

    I have heard, but not confirmed, that you just need a CCO registration,
    without a support contract, to use the Feature Navigator.

    :> > This is for a 7206VXR that I am wanting to use to bring in Internet and run
    :> > DSL cusomters via an ATM DS3.

    ;> > I just ran accrost "Cisco Systems 7200 IOS IP Only CD" listed for $12.

    : Do you know if this would work for ATM?

    12.1(5)T16 through 12.1(5)T19 are the only releases indicated as
    supporting the plain IP feature set on the 7200.

    The ATM features listed as supported in 12.1(5)T16 are:

    ATM Cell Loss Priority (CLP) Setting
    ATM LANE Fast Simple Server Reundancy Protocol (LANE Fast SSRP)
    ATM PVC Trap Support
    ATm Routed Bridge Encapsulation (RBE)
    ATM-DXI
    Link Fragmentation and Interleaving (LFI) for Frame Relay and ATM Virtual Circuits
    Multimedia Conference Manager with Voice Gateway image with RSVP to ATM SVC
    PPP over ATM
    PPP over ATM (IETF-Compliant)
    PPP over ATM SVCs
    PPPoE on ATM

    I don't know if those would be sufficient for your purposes. The
    Feature Navigator has a long list of ATM related features on other
    releases or other platforms.

    Walter Roberson, Dec 21, 2004
  6. jwinters

    jwinters Guest

    Hi Philip,

    Thank you for the reply. It did not say anything about a license, and
    sounded much cheaper than it should have.

    The problem I have is getting dsl connections to work.

    My IOS is 12.0(23) and Qwest states that the IOS must be at least 12.0(7).

    But, it all the examples I can find the config should be something like:

    encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-template1

    The problem is that when I attempt to add encapsulation I do have the option
    of aal5mux, but then it requires a choice of ip or IP and ppp is not an
    option.

    And, I have tried for days to get the virtual-template listed with the pcv
    to no avail. Late last night I found a post that seemed to have the same
    problems I am experiencing and it seemed they ended up upgrading. there
    were no psts after that and the email address for the poster was no longer
    valid, I am just assuming that it is fixed. But, after several weeks and
    two programmers I am no closer to getting it working, but much closer to
    broke. ;)

    jwinters, Dec 21, 2004
  7. jwinters

    jwinters Guest

    The sad thing is that I'm not sure either. ;) But, PPP over ATM is really
    what I am trying to accomplish so it sounds like it should work. I really
    appreciate all the help you have provided. - John

    jwinters, Dec 22, 2004