    I need to connect these two together so I can lock my neighbors out of my
    access point but can't resolve the difference in terms.

    TIA

    Andy Whitney, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2008

  3. The problem is matching the 54terms from the router to the terms of the
    vista configuration.

    I did Automatic and enable with WEP 64 bit encryption at the router with
    13 character passphrase, then went to Vista, Open and entered the
    passphrase. I can connect to the router but cannot get through to the
    internet. A direct connected computer to the router has no problems
    getting to the internet.
    When I dropped the encryption, all laptops connect to the router and the
    internet.

    Some incompatability in the configurations between the router and the
    vista laptops.

    GWB

    George W. Barrowcliff, Aug 19, 2008
  4. Andy Whitney

    Lem Guest

    Unless you have an old Netgear router, it should be capable of WPA2 or
    at least WPA. You may have to install up-to-date firmware. What model
    Netgear do you have?

    As far as the Vista options go:

    Use WPA2-Personal (preferably) or WPA-Personal.

    Do *NOT* use 802.1x or either of the "enterprise" WPA options.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 19, 2008
  5. Andy Whitney

    Lem Guest

    Read Jack's post. A "direct connected" computer (i.e., one that is
    connected to the router with an Ethernet cable) does not use any
    encryption. Encryption is a security model for wireless networking only.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Aug 19, 2008
  6. Andy Whitney

    Barb Bowman Guest

    As Lem mentioned, unless the Netgear is an old 802.11b wireless
    router, there may be firmware that enables WPA2/WPA. What modem
    router and what hardware version?

    If it is an old 802.11b only router, you should replace it, since
    WEP is just NOT safe to use.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP