    in FF. I've had FF for a few years now and this issue has never come up
    until recently.

    Can anyone help?

    Jean, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Jean

    Moz Champion Guest

    ?? How can you connect to anything with the Network cable unplugged? Of
    course sites wont load and will give you time outs, because NOTHING is
    reachable!

    Reconnect the network cable!

    Moz Champion, Sep 9, 2005

  3. Jean

    Jean Guest

    It wasn't unplugged! Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. He had me
    unplug everything, and plug it all back in. He tested IE. It was fine.
    But when he had me run something called speakeasy, it showed no download
    time in FF. It was uploading, but no downloading. That was the only
    glitch he could see.

    Thanks, Jean

    Jean, Sep 10, 2005
  4. Jean

    Jean Guest

    For instance. I'm trying to read the messages on this group. Most of the
    time it won't load and it says it's timed out. Then, a small yellow
    popup comes on the screen in the lower right hand corner, and says the
    network cable is unplugged. But it's not. That's all I can think of to
    explain.

    Thanks, Jean

    Jean, Sep 10, 2005
  5. Jean

    Doug G Guest

    I had a similar problem a couple weeks ago, cable TV was grainy and
    cable internet was intermittent. And Comcast tech support wanted me to
    do nearly the same as you, jump through hoops.

    Tne cable guy came to the house a couple days later and fixed the
    problem at the telephone pole out back. "Squirrel chew" is what he
    wrote on the report as the fault.

    Cable companies never want to admit that the problem is with their line.
    And for me, that's where the problem *always* is.

    Doug G, Sep 10, 2005
  6. Jean

    Jean Guest

    I have cox cable. What I don't understand is that there is no problem in
    IE, and only shows up with FF. I can't pretend that I know what I'm
    talking about. I'm only going by what the "cable guy" said.

    Thanks, Jean

    Jean, Sep 10, 2005
  7. Jean

    Doug G Guest

    When I got the "network cable is unplugged" popup, lights on the cable
    company's modem went out and no internet or usenet applications would work.

    Doug G, Sep 10, 2005
  8. Jean

    Jean Guest

    Just checked, and the lights are all still on. I was just over at
    rec.gardens and couldn't get in. Same message. Then I went to the cox
    groups and it was OK. I skimmed over the posts there and didn't see any
    problems like mine.

    Jean

    Jean, Sep 10, 2005
  9. Jean

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Do you have more than one NIC (network interface card) in your PC?

    Do you also have wireless networking (both on the PC and your router) on
    the system?

    Is your PC connected to the modem using a USB cable as well as a CAT5
    network cable?

    Ed Mullen, Sep 10, 2005
  10. Jean

    Z Guest

    (Multiple posts from Jean below have been consolidated)
    "Network cable unplugged" is your wired NIC (a network card in your PC)
    telling you that it is not connected to a network.

    What is your setup like?

    Do you also have a wireless NIC? A wireless router? Do you use a
    wireless access point to connect the PC to the network? Or, do you have
    just a wired NIC and have it wired directly to the cable modem with a cable?

    I wouldn't worry about that right now. The app or the website the tech
    directed you to use may not work properly with Firefox.

    You're reading newsgroups (eg: rec.gardens) with Firefox and Internet
    Explorer?

    What URL are you using for this?

    Z, Sep 10, 2005
  11. Jean

    Jean Guest

    I don't think I have anything wireless. I only have what cox cable added
    to my computer. It's a box that says, power, cable,pc,data, and test.
    Ok, understand that now.
    I'm using FF and Thundrebird for mail.
    Do you mean news.east.cox.net?

    Thanks, Jean

    Jean, Sep 10, 2005
  12. Jean

    Z Guest

    That's the cable modem.

    Does it plug into a USB port on your PC or into a NIC?

    Z, Sep 10, 2005
  13. Jean

    Jean Guest

    It plugs into the PC.

    Jean

    Jean, Sep 11, 2005
  14. Jean

    Jedi Fans Guest

    We sort of got that ;)
    Have a look at these link, see which thing in the picture the port you
    plugged the lead into it matches ya?
    <http://housing.uark.edu/resnet/images/connected/ethernetModemPorts.gif>
    was it the thing labelled ethernet port? or the thing on the left of it,
    which is a usb port?

    Jedi Fans, Sep 11, 2005
  15. Jean

    Jean Guest

    The usb port is empty.

    OMG! It's a good thing a test isn't required before you can use a computer.

    Jean

    Jean, Sep 11, 2005
  16. Jean

    V.O. Guest

    Your modem uses "EITHER" the USB port or the Ethernet port, not both.

    If it an Ethernet port, open Internet explorer OR Firefox.

    In the address box (where it says www. something or other) enter
    http://192.168.100.1/ , hit enter, and see what the screen says.

    V.O., Sep 11, 2005
  17. Jean

    Z Guest

    You probably have more than one USB port, but let's assume they're all
    empty.

    So, your PC has a PCI NIC card installed inside and that's connected
    with a LAN cable to the cable modem.

    The "Network cable unplugged" message is probably being caused by
    (ranked most likely to least likely, IMO):

    1. an intermittently bad LAN cable
    2. an intermittently bad cable modem
    3. an intermittently bad NIC in your PC

    If you lease the cable modem from Cox, you can probably log a service
    call and have them come over and replace both 1 and 2 for free.

    That's what I'd do.

    Z, Sep 11, 2005
  18. Jean

    Jean Guest

    It says the usb port is empty

    ethernet:100Base T Full Duplex

    and the rest just says it's complete and ready

    It took about 6 or 7 minutes of trying before I could bring up the
    newsgroups just now.

    Jean

    Jean, Sep 12, 2005
  19. Jean

    Jean Guest

    OK. I'll call cox cable back. What about #3? Do you know if that's
    something that can I can replace?

    Thanks so much, Jean

    Jean, Sep 12, 2005
  20. Jean