    Jerry Nash Guest

    Does anyone know what Costco does with cameras that are returned
    to them via Costco's quite liberal return policies?

    Jerry Nash, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Jerry Nash

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Jerry Nash

    Mike Guest

    That's why I sometimes tuck in a small note that says, "This camera was
    returned because <insert reason here>. If you bought this camera as new, you
    really should complain!"

    Mike, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Jerry Nash

    WebKatz Guest

    Hardly. WalMart (general scum bags though they are) does have a solid
    policy on returning defectives to the vendor. In fact, they have
    "open" RAs with most of the big guys, so returning stuff is a breeze
    for them.

    The only way something with a valid defect is going to end up back on
    the shelves is if some associate screwed up. Of course, the chances of
    that happening are…

    WebKatz, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Jerry Nash

    DS Guest

    Ran into someone at a wedding a couple of years ago who operated a
    liquidation company here in the Seattle area, dealing in just this sort of
    thing. Believe that he said that most, if not all of his merchandise was
    Costo "returns,"
    and included everything from soup to nuts.
    DS

    DS, Nov 4, 2003
  6. Jerry Nash

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I have bought three items from Wal Mart over the years
    1) A portable generator that had the first sales ticket inside the box.
    It was missing parts.
    2) A lamp that comes with a B base bulb - the bulb was not in it, and the
    tines of the plug were bent. Close examination showed that the bottom of the
    box had been taped back together
    3) A jacket I needed because I went to northern Michigan in October
    wearing and packing only short sleeve shirts. The jacket was dark blue and
    obviously never had been worn before. By the time we got back from Michigan
    the seat of my car was dark blue also, as were my arms below the level of my
    short sleeve shirt. I was stuck with that item as I couldn't find the
    reciept and have no idea if an NC Wally World would accept the return. Two
    washings gave me a light bluue faded jacket that doesn't turn my car blue.
    The other two items got returned and I'm certain went directly back out to
    be sold a third (or greater) time. The policy at crap stores like Wal-Mart
    is to keep selling it until it doesn't come back. It works because people
    are too lazy to call them to task for their nasty practices.
    I wonder how many idiots complain about American job loses then buy all
    their stuff at Wal-Mart -- aka The China Trading Company? How many people
    complain about the quality of consumer goods but don't return the shoddy
    products? Wal-Mart is the store they deserve, and probably the one their
    children will end up working for -- unless they completely replace all the
    legal staff with illegals they can pay less than minimum wage.

    Tony Spadaro, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Jerry Nash

    Doc Guest

    That's really surprising to hear. I shop there all the time, have been for
    years and hardly ever have a problem with anything I buy there. When I do,
    they're very apologetic and helful with exchange or refund.

    K-Mart now, that's another story. Even before the bankruptcy- real junk,
    really bad help, stores run down. And their spokespiggy Rosie
    O'Donnel.....yuck.

    Doc

    Doc, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Jerry Nash

    zeitgeist Guest

    There are a couple of large discount outlets in our area, and one remarkably
    is across the street from the first location of Costco in our town (before
    they moved to a bigger place a few blocks away.

    These stores are filled with mostly costco items, obvious Kirkland labels.
    And what it strange is that while there are generally bargains, especially
    on the clothes, sometimes you see stuff that is priced at or above what
    costco sold them. I bought some Sketchers there for $19.95 and later saw
    them at costco for 17.

    But they have a whole section of computers and cameras and I'll bet that
    most came from across the street.

    Keep in mind that a lot of folks make a habit of buying something to use at
    a particularly big occasion and then return it, ask anybody who works in a
    TV shop about the day after superbowl. Quite often a camera is purchased
    to shoot a wedding, though thats supposed to be more about video.

    zeitgeist, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Jerry Nash

    FOR7b Guest

    I wonder how many idiots complain about American job loses then buy all
    Wal-Mart by far epitomizes the worse of large stores in America. Everyone I
    have been in is completely disorganized with so much merchandise scattered all
    over the place that it is unbelievable that any sane management would allow
    that. It is embarrassing. They have unbelievable amounts of merchandise
    blocking aisles that is stocked by workers that look and act like they just
    came out of a juvenile detention facility. They also have the biggest
    collection of junk available in America.

    Target on the other is like a night and day difference. In fact they are the
    only large low cost store in America I have respect for. Alot of respect for.
    They give you a very clean and uncluttered store with everything immaculately
    organized and tidy and they have alot of nice unique merchandise for a good
    price. You can always check out very quickly too, unlike Wal-Mart.

    Comparing the typical demeanour from employees of both companies also says
    alot. Wal-Mart employees typically look miserable and I don't blame them.

    FOR7b, Nov 5, 2003
  10. Jerry Nash

    Pete Guest

    Hey Tony, why don't you open up and tell us how you REALLY feel?

    Pete, Nov 5, 2003
  11. Jerry Nash

    WebKatz Guest

    Very funny.

    So of course this means they put defective camera back on the shelf.

    WebKatz, Nov 5, 2003
  12. Jerry Nash

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Nov 5, 2003
  13. Jerry Nash

    yep Guest

    If they are like Wal-Mart they put them back on the shelf for the next
    Happened to me with a PS1 LCD screen I bought. Screen was all
    dirty/scratched and had different pieces of food stuck to it. They
    exchanged it right away and apologized, but I wonder if next time I
    purchase a product that was returned for a defect that is not obvious.

    To their defense however, I have purchased other very obvious returns
    from other retailers too. So they are all guilty of the same thing.

    I just bought a Canon A80 they other day at a camera store and I
    insisted on an 'unopened and sealed package'. The moment I left the
    shop I opened it up to make sure.

    yep, Nov 6, 2003
  14. Jerry Nash

    Jerry Nash Guest

    I agree completely with your Target and WalMart comparison. Everytime I go
    into Walmart my blood pressure doubles and it's a completely frustrating
    experience. Going into Target is, by far, more rewarding and less stressful.
    A price comparison on items I purchase show there is no difference in savings
    between WalMart and Target.

    Jerry Nash, Nov 10, 2003
  15. Jerry Nash

    TigerMoon Guest

    Hey, non of these super boxes are gonna eat returns. That's what the
    customer is for.

    TigerMoon, Nov 11, 2003
  16. Jerry Nash

    DS Guest

    Target, at least here in Lynnwood WA, is akin to a shopping excursion in the
    third world.

    Can't even imagine how we would find a trip to WallMart.

    DS

    DS, Nov 11, 2003
  17. Jerry Nash

    RAD Guest

    Must be location.

    We now have 2 WalMart stores within short driving distances from where I
    live, and one Target. I looked for a DVD deck in both stores. I asked
    about the return policy in both, and WalMart said bring it back for
    refund, while Target said 15% restocking fee. When I asked if the unit
    didn't work, he said exchange, but since it was the last they had I
    asked with what, and he said (this is the dept manager mind you) said a
    refund would be issued if they didn't have another, minus 15% restocking
    fee.

    Target has some things I like, especially for Christmas decor, but
    several things I looked for at Target have been replaced by items
    costing 3 times as much and not any better in quality.

    I've been in several Target and WalMart stores across the country. Both
    are often rather dirty. The newer WalMart stores I've been in seem to be
    improved, but still not as clean as they should be.

    While it is true that I check out, usually, faster at Target than
    WalMart, usually its because there are far less people in the Target store.

    RAD, Nov 12, 2003
  18. Jerry Nash

    FOR7b Guest

    Must be location.
    Apparently more and more brick and mortar stores are going to the 15%
    restocking fee and I'm sure it has to due with abuse from customers with
    excessive returns of expensive items or items purchased for one time use as if
    they were rental outlets. Not surprising. I'm always amazed how some stores
    accept returns on items without boxes and packaging and items that look like
    they have have been through a lifetime of use.

    When a Wal-Mart is new then it is clean for only some time before it eventually
    becomes like all the others I have been in. I've yet to go to any Wal-Mart that
    was clean, neat, organized, and not a safety hazard. I have also yet to see any
    Target that was the opposite of that. Every one I have been too has been very
    clean, very neat, and clutter free. A dramatic difference. Wal-Mart, the
    corporation, should be ashamed of itself for running such an embarrassing
    establishment.

    From what I see it is because Target has more checkout clerks and when things
    back up they open more registers, as it should be.

    FOR7b, Nov 12, 2003
  19. Jerry Nash

    WebKatz Guest

    I have worked with Wal-Mart as a vendor and have competed against them
    as a camera retailer. I have nothing good to say about them, other
    than that they make Target look good.

    They have put such a squeeze on suppliers that it's almost impossible
    to make a buck dealing with them. They treat their 'associates' like
    crap, including some archaic HR policies that until recently banned
    men with beards and interracial dating. They suck the life right out
    of small towns by destroying the vitality and variety of the merchant
    base. And they seem to be a gathering stop for herds of slack-jawed
    yokels. Yuck.

    They do not, in general, put defective stock back out because they
    don't have to. In most cases, they don't even pay for the merchandise
    until it actually sells. A camera that gets returned as honest-to-god
    broken just gets thrown in a big box, and is shipped back on an open
    RA to the manufacturer when the box gets full.

    By the same token, I am certain that associates don't actually look in
    the box, and a truly broken camera that gets returned "'cause it don't
    take no good pictures" will end up back on the shelf.

    Buyer beware – simple as that.

    Dave

    WebKatz, Nov 13, 2003