    Russell Guest

    What do you usually save your edited RAW images as?

    TIFF, BMP, PSD?

    Russell, May 8, 2005

  2. Russell

    Jim Guest

    Depends on what I intend to do with the image.
    Jim

    Jim, May 9, 2005

  3. Russell

    Paul Furman Guest

    JPEG 11/12 quality in PS. Most edits are in Camera Raw & that info is
    saved for re-doing.

    PSD if it's really important & I've done a lot of layered editing.

    Chances are, if I want to go back & do a better/bigger print, I'll have
    a better take on the editing anyways and will simply print before
    jpegging it & maybe not even bother to save that version if it ends up
    looking about the same.

    Paul Furman, May 9, 2005
  4. The preferred format for Canon's own converter is TIFF. Presumably this
    provides all the information in the original file although it adds
    hugely to the file size and if you have any layers in the file, it'll be
    enormous!

    Douglas

    [email protected], May 9, 2005
  5. Russell

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I believe TIFF destroys information, since it's the output of the RAW
    converter's color interpolation algorithm. RAW tells you the exact
    output of the Bayer sensor.

    Paul Rubin, May 9, 2005
  6. Either PSD, or nothing. I'll choose "nothing" if I'm making a
    web-display jpeg quickly and easily out of the file; but I rarely
    shoot RAW for files whose destiny is just web display.

    PSD because it allows me to maintain the layering. I tend to use
    multiple adjustment layers with layer masks, plus some overlay layers
    for retouching, leaving the original bits unaltered on the
    background. In CS I can now maintain the layering in a TIFF file --
    but nothing but CS will read that TIFF file properly, so why bother?

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 9, 2005
  7. Russell

    Musty Guest

    When you ask this question, I am assuming you plan to keep you RAW files,
    right? These are your digital negatives.

    Musty.

    Musty, May 9, 2005
  8. : What do you usually save your edited RAW images as?

    : TIFF, BMP, PSD?

    If you are going to shoot in RAW, the first archive save of the image
    should be in RAW. If you are saving the first archive as something other
    than RAW, why shoot it in RAW in the first place? Now, once the archive is
    saved and you procede to edit/enhance the image, the choice of saved
    format will depend on your personal preferences and intended uses.

    Personally I save any intermediate edit saves in the PSD format, but this
    format is really not a good one for posting to web sites or sending to
    friends as not everyone has PS. So anything intended for distribution in
    digital format shouldn't be distributed in PSD. On the other hand if you
    may be doing more editing of the image in the future, saving in PSD to
    preserve the levels makes sense. When I finish my editing, the
    finished product is saved in JPG (this is my preferred storage format).
    But some people are more nervous about any compression format so they may
    prefer TIFF or some other "lossless" format. But the format of choice is
    totally up to you.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, May 9, 2005
  9. Russell

    Backbone Guest

    Depends i.e. for website stuff either giff or jpeg. A sale = in "bmp". Still in
    work-process = a "psd". print to paper = in the raw. jpg = a degraded sample!
    raw file = use for later or perhaps a copyright sale!

    Backbone, May 9, 2005
  10. Russell

    adm Guest

    Personally, I don't really edit the RAW files, I just use them as digital
    negatives. Then I edit them mainly in Photoshop and save the edited output
    as either TIFF or JPG depending on my requirements.

    adm, May 9, 2005
  11. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Fair comment.

    Save it to disc in the best possible format for retaining maximum image
    quality.

    Russell, May 9, 2005
  12. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Yes, of course. The RAW files will remain untouched.

    Russell, May 9, 2005
  13. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Sorry all, I didn't give much info in my original post.

    Basically, the RAW imaged will remain intact. What I will do is edit the
    original RAW images to get them how I want them and then save the edited
    version as something else for print (not web or email).

    I carried out some tests on a random RAW image, which are as follows:

    Original RAW Image - 7.71MB - Shooting parameters (EG ISO, Aperture,
    Shutter, etc.) retained

    PSD - 22.8MB - Shooting info retained
    BMP - 23.4MB - No shooting info retained
    JPG (12) - 5.56MB - Shooting info retained
    TIF - 23.4MB - Shooting info retained

    Therefore, what I decided to do was obviously keep the RAW untouched. Then
    save the edited file as a PSD. Then, if I want to make a print, save it as
    a TIF to take into the lab.

    One thing I am not sure of though is why do TIFF files create a much bigger
    file size than the original RAW? If RAW isn't compressed, what extra info
    is stored?

    Russell, May 9, 2005
  14. Russell

    Paul Furman Guest

    Most RAW files are compressed, also it's one color channel per pixel
    since that's the way the camera captures it, every other pixel is green,
    the others are red & blue. Most of what the RAW conversion does is
    average out the colors from adjacent pixels to fill in the blanks.
    Different converters use different methods.

    Paul Furman, May 9, 2005
  15. Russell

    Piemanlager Guest

    So if I require the best quality Prints up to a size of A3, what is the best
    method of achieving this from the RAW files from my Minolta 7D?
    Use the raw file as a neg, make a copy of some sort and use that? What would
    be best for home printing, I usually dont do much work on my images apart
    from using levels and unsharp tool with jpeg files, thats all that is
    usually needed.
    Im having a hard time finding the best use for RAw images, uts thats only
    cause I dont know what to do!!!

    Simon

    Piemanlager, May 9, 2005
  16. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Hello Paul

    Thank you for your post. I apologise, I didn't realise that RAW files were
    compressed.

    So, as you mentioned RAW image pixels are either R, G or B. So, in effect,
    would I be correct in saying the TIFF images make up the larger file size by
    'filling in the blanks'? Does this mean that the final image will be softer
    when printed?

    Russell, May 10, 2005
  17. Russell

    Backbone Guest

    here's a great article written by Joanne Carter from Popular Photography &
    Imaging.

    here's their site
    http://www.popphoto.com/default.asp

    And here's the article
    File Formats Made Easy
    http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1184&page_number=1

    --
    There are no words that can be heard unless someone listens....
    Remove *flaps* to reply

    Backbone, May 10, 2005
  18. Russell

    Bubbabob Guest

    JPEG2000 @ 70%

    Bubbabob, May 10, 2005
  19. Russell

    james Guest

    That would be RAW. Anything else is a compromise of resolution, dynamic
    range, colorspace, white balance, or crop.

    Even lossless image formats may throw away some information that's in
    the RAW.

    I just save the RAW file ("*.CR2") on Canon, together with an MD5
    checksum, on DVD-R media.

    james, May 10, 2005
  20. Russell

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I leave them RAW, unless I am going to put them on my web page, in which
    case they become JPEG. I also like to have JPEGs to show other people.
    If I am going to print, I either convert in Photoshop and print directly
    from there without ever saving as a file, or I make a 16-bit TIFF in one
    of the other converters, tweak it in PS, and then print it there.

    I don't think that there's really much point in saving in more than
    8-bit as an end in itself, until monitor/videocard calibration becomes
    completely analog. Right now, all it does is posterize 8-bit data.

    JPS, May 13, 2005