what do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Diehard, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

  2. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    I would go with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe MoBo with an XP2800 CPU. That CPU is
    both cheaper and faster but if you like Intel, go Intel. I also like Asus,
    much more than MSI for the mainboard.

    There's cheaper DVD drives. I just got a LiteOn LWD411S Dual Format drive
    for 79.99 after rebate.

    I'd get a real power supply as well.

    I'd also forget the Raptor 36GB drive and get a 120GB or larger 7200RPM ATA
    drive with 8MB cache.

    Minor note is the floppy cable you're thinking about has 2 connectors. You
    should get a single connector unless you're putting in 2 drives. It'll look
    nicer. I started using rounded floppy cables awhile ago and they make for a
    tidy setup. I'm still wary of the rounded IDE cables as the whole idea of
    the 80pin cable was to separate the data wires with a ground wire to
    minimize crosstalk. A rounded cable , IMO, defeats this.

    Michael-NC, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    I got the hard drive cus of speed. I am putting in another 40gb ata100. I
    wanted the sony only because I had a sony vaio and the sony inside it was
    perfect for dvdrw. so i wanted to stay with what i know.
    the msi board tomshardware rates the best in a big mobo review. fastest too.
    i wanted intel because we've never owned intel and the sony vaio i took back
    was also a P4. The case I am refusing shipment since newegg won't let me
    cancel it. I called them less then 12 hrs later and they said they won't let
    me cancel it because it was already scanned in the warehouse or something.
    So I will refuse shipment and get locally a better case/psu. Probably an
    antec psu and case. other then that i think the pc is good. the P4 2.4c can
    be overclocked to 3ghz maybe faster stock cooling and everything. so i may
    do that, but not right away. and the msi board is awesome for overclocking.

    Diehard, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    That's cool cuase you'll fill 36GB pretty quick.
    too.

    That's to be taken with a grain of salt. Stability and quality are two
    important features to consider as well as speed. The fastest board is not
    always the best but MSI is a major player and you didn't make a bad
    decision.
    AMD is a good platform. I went AMD since the days of the K6 and never looked
    back to Intel. Well, not entirely true, I had a 1.3GHz celeron desktop
    around here for awhile and my lapper has a 1.8GHz Celly. I will tell you,
    I've saved a considerable amount of cash and have had excellent performance,
    reliability and satisfaction with AMD.
    That's odd, Newegg is usually very accommodating.
    overclocking.

    Antec makes a decent PS, that's a lot better than a generic PS. Good luck
    with the build, it'll should be a nice machine.

    Michael-NC, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    The article at tomshardware for the board i got said it was awesome in
    stability and performance. BUT, how can a board be fast? i don't get that at
    all.
    I've got in my own pc an athlon 1700+ and it's ok. I just wanted the P$ 2.4c
    cus you can stock, overclock to liek 3ghz or even faster. and the new
    athlons you can not i have heard.

    The case i buy will have an antec psu. i might get locally an antec case
    with psu, but not sure. i have right now 2 antec cases, love em to death for
    being old, but the new ones look more cool, the metal and stuff.

    i hope the sata is fast tho, the 10k rpm drive. and also here's a question.
    what is the best way to make my pc quiet? i don't want to hear the hard
    drive and i can't hear high pitched whinning from the hard drive or cpu fan
    or whatever without it kiling me. i can hear high pitched sounds really
    good, like 4 feet away even. im sensitive to that. and it kills my ears. so
    what's a good way to help the pc be quiet?

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    The article at tomshardware for the board i got said it was awesome in
    The motherboard is more than just a collection of circuit traces. Most
    notably, it contains the chipset, and the BIOS, which in tandem have a large
    influence on the performance of the system. The board has to get data to and
    from the cards, memory, storage devices, and CPU. The chipset handles all of
    this, and how well the chipset's features are supported on a given
    board+BIOS can have a big effect that sets it apart from another board with
    the same chipset.

    Use larger, slower fans. Small fans have to run faster and consequently
    noisier to move the same amount of air. So opt for a case with large fan
    mounts. Efficiently route cables, and fan flow direction for the best
    effect, which will cut down on the need for extra fans. Make sure there is
    adequate airflow around the case, and it's not stuffed into a cabinet that
    restricts airflow. Also use temperature-controlled fans that can slow down
    when the temp is low.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Thanks Thor. I heard also to get noise dampaners for the hard drive. what
    are these, how much? where to get? how do they work?

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    All I've seen relating to this is a case design with rubber grommets that
    isolate the drive mounts. Kind of like rubber engine mounts. In any case,
    the western digital drives are pretty quiet anyway in general these days.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    Also for noise abatement, get the retail fan or get a Zalman CPU cooler.
    They also sell a mat you can install inside the case to absorb noise,
    believe it's called dynamat. The power supply is also a noisy component.
    Check out your selection and make sure it's quiet.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    It is entirely true that you can not overclock any current Athlon product
    to 3 ghz without extreme cooling. However, it is useful to note that a 2.0
    ghz Athlon 64 3200+ beat the pants off a P4 3.2. Clock speed isn't
    everything.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    To add to that, PC Power and Cooling has a line of PSUs specifially
    engineered for quiet operation. They are first class power supplies.

    Thor, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    Everyone keeps buying the XP2500 for 90 bucks, setting the FSB to 400MHz and
    awaaaaaaaay they go.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Diehard

    Spajky® Guest

    do it by yourself like I did quieting my HD :)) , see under comp/mods
    on my site ...

    -- Regards, MERRY HOLIDAYS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, SPAJKY ®
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky®, Jan 3, 2004
  14. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    I really appreciate all the help guys. So could someone give me a list in
    order of what to get for a quiet pc please? Like this.

    1: get this for power supply
    2: Get these dampaners or whatever
    3: get this etc.

    I'd greatly appreciate it cus i am clueless about all this stuff to make the
    pc more quiet. I need to be able to get it locally in seattle
    Washington/Tukwila, Washington too if possible and if not, where online?
    newegg? I plan to get a case locally that would come with a powersupply more
    then likely. If it did not then i want an SATA ready powersupply as i will
    be hooking up a SATA hard drive. I do have comming from newegg this 6 inch
    power adapter for sata. I also will be hooking up a 40gb ata10 drive as a
    secondary for more storage, but the OS will install on the SATA.

    Happy new year guys and thanks again for the help. i hope to be able to get
    all the info I need so next week when my parts come from newegg I can go to
    comp usa or some place and buy the case and stuff to make the pc more quiet.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  15. Diehard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yup. The 2500+ is such a popular overclocker that AMD has completely
    locked the multiplier of the chip. No one has figured out how to unlock it
    again yet.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 3, 2004
  16. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    I heard about that but does it still effect the FSB. I thought most folks
    just upped the FSB to 200MHz and left the multiplier alone. Is the FSB
    locked as well?

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  17. Diehard

    Michael-NC Guest

    The noisiest components are probably the CPU fan, power supply and video
    card fan.
    http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/home.htm
    These supplies are super pricey. Browse Newegg power supplies that mention
    quiet in the description and then read the product reviews. Some power
    supplies have after 50 customer reviews and you'll know if the supply is
    _really_ quiet or not. Some of these are much cheaper than the PC Power and
    Cooling offerings.
    I wouldn't bother with those really, a quiet CPU fan and PS will do it but
    here is a choice:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?R173233F6
    CPU Fan:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=1

    Quiet Case fans 80mm
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-206&depa=1

    Quiet PS
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?P253423F6

    I'd consider that supply, regardless of the one review. Enermax is top
    shelf.

    As long as you stay away from a GF5600 card, which can sound like a leaf
    blower, you should be OK.

    I have a computer in my kitchen and it has a quiet PS that I got from
    http://www.quietpcusa.com/
    Zalman CPU cooler and one quiet case fan in it. I could hardly hear it.

    Michael-NC, Jan 3, 2004
  18. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Thanks for the links. I want something for the hard drive cus it can make a
    high pitched whine sound and i need to cover up the sound as best as
    possible. I am more worried about the high pitched whinning sound comming
    from the cpu fan and hard drive then the normal fan noise. I just don't want
    *any* high pitched whinning sound. It kills my ears so bad that I won't use
    the pc at all. So I want to get rid of that noise if at all possible. I know
    it can come from hard drives and cpu fan.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  19. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Well aweomse links, thanks man. umm, i have an offer/suggestion/please for
    help. Lets say I give you the money for a case and something to help reduce
    the high pitched noise from the hard drive and cpu fan etc. Say $100. Could
    you find this all from one place? A nice case with psu and something to help
    the noise? The pcpowerandcooling looked awesome. $$$$$ :(
    If someone could help me out by just picking something for me, I'd be
    willing to pay pal them some money or something for the help. Just that I
    want to be able to order something online asap so it's here about when my
    newegg parts would get here. Or be able to go pick it up locally. I'm
    thinking maybe $10 for the help. Or something else maybe I could do for
    someone if possible.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004
  20. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    Well ok you did what i kinda asaked for in a previous message so thanks.
    Umm, the dampening pad seems weuird cus i never heard of that before. not
    sure how you'd install it or something. sigh.

    Diehard, Jan 3, 2004