What do you think about this system and the price

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Era, May 11, 2005.

  1. Era

    Era Guest

    Is the specs for my new computer "reasonable" taking the price into
    account? I will not be using it to play games, but will do some video
    editing and rendering. I also will need to add more memory to this quote
    as well.

    Thanks

    Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz 530 CPU (775 800MHz . 1M Cache)
    Asrock 775I65GV Motherboard

    160GB SATA Seagate HDD
    2x256MB PC3200 DDRAM

    16x52x32x52 LG DVD-CDWR Combo Drive
    400W ATX Case
    P/S 2 Keyboard & Wheel Mouse

    17” Direction LCD Monitor

    Total is 1250 Inc GST

    Era, May 11, 2005

  2. Era

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I would at least double the RAM, and note that you have not included a
    DVD RW.

    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2005

  3. Era

    Rod Speed Guest

    That might be a bit small if the video files are on the large side.
    I'd get a Pioneer 109 DVD burner instead.

    Rod Speed, May 11, 2005
  4. Depends on how serious you are about your video editing.

    For starters, that MB is crap. I'd never even heard of Asrock before
    your post. Have a look at the conclusion in this review.
    <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=70&num=5>
    I've always used ASUS and Abit MB's without a problem.

    As you said, you'll need more RAM. I'd go for 1GB minimum for videos.

    A decent video card is important for video editing. Integrated video
    will not do the trick. If you're just after video editing for home
    movies and things, a simple $150 - $200 AGP card will be fine.

    Have a look at the Dell Factory outlet website. Dell's service and
    support is far better than you'll get at any corner PC shop, and their
    factory outlet makes Dell's prices reasonable for home buyers. Go to
    www.dell.com.au, click on "Dell Factory Outlet" underneath service and
    support, then click on Dimension or Optiplex to view the desktops they
    have on offer.

    One they have on sale at the moment is a Dimension 8400, P4 640 (3.2Ghz
    2MB Cache), Windows XP Pro, 1GB Ram, 160GB SATA, 16X DVD/RW, GB LAN,
    128MB PCIe Radeon x300 (nothing flash, but far better than integrated
    video), Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS, Wireless KB and Mouse, 1yr warranty
    for $1673.

    DS.

    Dirty Sanchez, May 11, 2005
  5. Era

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    You must have been living under a rock. (No pun intended.) The Asrock
    is well known as a good (but not outstanding) motherboard at a
    reasonable price.
    On the contrary, onboard video will do fine for this task. How about
    explaining how a good AGP or PCIE video card improves performance when
    rendering or encoding of video?
    You are joking aren't you? Dell's service and support is nowhere near
    as good as that you will get from your local store.

    Oldus Fartus, May 11, 2005
  6. Era

    Rod Speed Guest

    Then you dont have much of a clue.
    Depends entirely on what the video editing involves.

    If you're just cutting out the superfluous crap you dont
    want and transcoding the format, that is just plain wrong.
    And so will integrated video too.
    The extra price isnt necessarily worth much for his use.

    Rod Speed, May 11, 2005
  7. Era

    ZionIFL Guest

    Era,

    As others and yourself have mentioned - more RAM is one a major key for
    video editing/rendering - 1GB minimum.

    I think you only have a CD writer there and not a DVD burner. Look for a
    dual layer burner to make the most of 8GB discs dropping in price (the size
    is good for maintaining better video quality too on your final output).

    I guess it all depends on what kind of video editing you will be doing? Home
    videos, weddings etc? If its home video - then I think the system you have
    configured now will definatley do the trick. I edited a wedding that took me
    a week using Adobe Premiere on a similar config (slower P4 CPU however), and
    it was fine! My only gripe at the time was that my HDD space ran out very
    quickly - perhaps you could invest in a larger drive also.

    If its professional editing, then currently Macs lead the way with their
    G5's, par none -- but then again, you would probably already know that if
    you were a professional editor ;)

    ZionIFL, May 11, 2005
  8. Era

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, May 11, 2005
  9. Era

    Will S Guest

    IIRC Asrock is an Asus off shoot ie. their budget brand

    Will S, May 11, 2005
  10. Era

    ZionIFL Guest

    Man - thats a heavy PC for $1800! I wonder if I can build it for less at,
    say Gamedude.com.au?

    ZionIFL, May 11, 2005
  11. Era

    Will S Guest

    but will you get the software package

    Will S, May 11, 2005
  12. Era

    Era Guest

    Thank you all for the input.

    I have aquote from Dell and it look very good:

    Dimension 4700 - P4 530 with HT 3.0GHz. 1MB L2 cache 800MHz FSB
    512 MB DDR2 RAM
    17" ULTRAsharp LCD screen (DVI input too)
    80GB SATA ( i will buy another larger one at the market)
    Win XP Home
    48x DVD / comb drive (will get a 109 at market)

    All for A$1174.00 (delivered, incl GST)

    Era, May 11, 2005
  13. Forget gamedude. www.msy.com.au is the only place to go in Brisbane now.
    Lots of stock & far better proces than Gamedude.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, May 11, 2005
  14. Era

    Fester Guest

    Price isn't everything and you of all people should know that.

    Fester, May 11, 2005
  15. Hmmm, I got a nice CPU to sell you then, it's going for $500 !!!

    A bargain for a P1 75...

    What ? Price suddenly means sommat ?? 8]

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?P=F2g_mo_th=F2in?=, May 11, 2005
  16. Era

    Fester Guest

    I know truth is a foreign concept you but value IS important ...

    oh I forgot . up yours jack. ( [pinnaple ruff)

    Fester, May 12, 2005
  17. Era

    JANA Guest

    Go with 1 GB of RAM, and put a DVD writer.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, May 13, 2005