What do you do with your VHS tapes after you record them to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by jeffd1975, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. jeffd1975

    jeffd1975 Guest

    I recently bought a DVD recorder (Panasonic), what's cool is that it
    doesn't recognize the copyright protection on most VHS tapes. So far,
    I've only come across 1 tape (Ozzy Osbourne Wicked Videos) that I
    couldn't copy because of the protection. I might buy a special device
    to overcome copy protection should I come across more tapes that can't
    be copied, but so far, so good.

    My rationale for copying VHS to DVD is to get a non-degradeable copy
    of my videos, plus I don't want to spend hundreds or even thousand of
    dollars to re-buy my movie collection. Another reason is that I can
    put the videos I copy onto DVD into a binder that takes up much less
    space.

    Now, what to do with the VHS tapes themselves? I tried to look on
    eBay to see if any of my video tapes can be sold there but it appears
    that you can't even give away VHS tapes, even to the local library.
    So I've been tossing them in the garbage.

    Sure, as much as I like the cool artwork for some of my tapes, I can
    always buy empty DVD cases, extra color printer cartridges and make my
    own fancy artwork for my DVD copies.

    So, it looks like VHS is going the way of the dodo, and people are
    tossing them into landfills much the same way when 78 RPM records were
    cast aside in favor of the 33 RPM standard. Nowadays, mint copies of
    78 RPM records are valued collectors' items. Will VHS become
    collectibles in the future? I figure by tossing these obsolete pieces
    of junk that I'm doing my part in increasing their future collectible
    value :)

    jeffd1975, Mar 12, 2007

  2. jeffd1975

    Richard C. Guest

    shit in, shit out!

    =======================

    Richard C., Mar 12, 2007

  3. jeffd1975

    def456 Guest

    It depends. I've got S-VHS copies of Gone With The Wind and a lot of other
    old classics in Technicolor that are better quality than the DVD versions.
    Even some S-ET and VHS tapes are as good as the DVD versions, for example
    Schindler's List which I recorded a long time ago from a special showing on
    one of the networks (ABC?) in cable analog. Of course a lot of old cheap
    quality VHS tapes aren't worth saving, too many glitches, not even worth
    copying to a DVD.

    def456, Mar 12, 2007
  4. jeffd1975

    Richard C. Guest

    ==============================
    Impossible!
    GWTW in the newest DVD version is bastly superior to ANYTHING that
    VHS or S_VHS is capable of!
    You appear to be blind!
    ==============================
    ==========================
    You have GOT to be kidding (or a troll).
    The special edition of Schindler is stunning on DVD.
    VHS could NEVER, EVER come close to 25% of the quality of this DVD.
    =============================

    Richard C., Mar 13, 2007
  5. jeffd1975

    AZ Nomad Guest

    I think you're either full of shit, high on drugs, or have a defective dvd
    player or dvds.
    There is no way in hell a broadcast is even within two orders of magnatude
    of a DVD in picture or sound quality. Perhaps you're comparing to DVD's burned
    from downloaded movies, something that's been retranscoded a few times?

    AZ Nomad, Mar 13, 2007
  6. jeffd1975

    def456 Guest

    Well I'm not exactly blind, and what I said is true of my system. I suppose
    systems are different. The DVD of Gone With The Wind which I got recently
    from Netflix just wasn't very good quality. I don't know why. A factor is
    that finding proper color settings for Technicolor on my TV is difficult
    with the DVD, but easy (automatic) with the S-VHS tape version. I just can't
    seem to find a good color setting for the DVD. The picture is too dark, or
    something. I use S-Video connections which aren't optimum for color video so
    that's part of the problem, I guess.
    It surprised me too, and I continue to be amazed every time I watch it. That
    VHS tape was recorded from an analog cable broadcast which is vastly
    superior to the digital crap we get nowadays. That VHS copy of Schindler's
    List is as good as any DVD version of "anything" I've ever seen. It's
    perfect. Mint quality. And that was before I had S-Video connections or a
    S-VHS VCR, so it was recorded with ordinary RCA connectors on an ordinary
    hi-fi VCR. I suppose it helps that I now have S-Video connections in my
    system which optimizes playback of Black & White movies like Schindler's
    List. Of course color movies are different so that couldn't be expected.

    def456, Mar 13, 2007
  7. jeffd1975

    def456 Guest

    DVDs on my system often have weak/poor sound ("clipping" is the term, I
    believe), and the video quality of color movies is often about the same as a
    good VHS tape in S-ET mode. S-VHS tapes are the best quality, usually better
    than DVDs, with my Mitsubishi S-VHS VCR. I guess that's partly the fault of
    my older standard screen TV and DVD player using S-Video connectors. I
    suppose I would see/hear more of a difference if I had a new HD widescreen
    TV with component connectors, but I don't.

    def456, Mar 13, 2007
  8. jeffd1975

    breadguy Guest

    when you are done with a series or a group of movies on tape
    list them here on this site there are people who will gladly pay
    postage for shipping them to them
    or will trade you something you are looking for and take the tapes oof
    your hands

    john

    breadguy, Mar 13, 2007
  9. jeffd1975

    Richard C. Guest

    ============================
    Then your "system" has serious problems.
    Even a 13" Emerson TV would display the difference between
    a VHS and a DVD!
    ===========================
    =========================
    The S-Video should work fine.
    Something is very wrong with your "system".
    ==========================
    =============================
    100% impossible!
    Something is very defective in either your system or your eyesight.
    ===============================

    Richard C., Mar 13, 2007
  10. jeffd1975

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 13 Mar 2007 02:21:45 GMT from AZ Nomad <aznomad.2
    @PremoveOBthisOX.COM>:
    Well, I don't know. I get an awfully clear picture on some cable
    channels. I don't claim it's better than DVD, but it's absolutely
    not "two orders of magnitude" worse, as you claim.

    Or maybe "magnatude" is different from "magnitude".

    Stan Brown, Mar 14, 2007
  11. jeffd1975

    Stuart Guest

    Landfill - I just disposed of 700

    Stuart, Mar 14, 2007
  12. If they're commercially recorded movies and shows, donate 'em to your
    local thrift shop-I'm sure somebody will be happy to buy them there, and
    maybe you can get a tax writeoff for them if there's enough.

    The thrift shops I've been in sell tapes at about a buck apiece.

    There are also used CD/DVD places that take tapes and sell them for
    about two bucks.

    Susan Bartholomew, Mar 14, 2007
  13. .. So far,
    You should just toss it. Ozzy Osborne is crap.

    Robert D. Mahan, Mar 14, 2007
  14. jeffd1975

    Mr. Moe Guest

    Burn them as a DVD video.