    I really doubt they are talking about an actual coil... is it an
    acronym for something?

    Thanks!

    Christopher J Pilkington, Aug 20, 2004

  2. Christopher J Pilkington

    Hansang Bae Guest

    Chip names. Pinnacle is responsible for queuing and doing packet
    rewrites as required. It also couples to the D-bus and R-bus. The
    former is used for data xfer and the latter sorta/kinda plays traffic
    cop.

    Coil handles 12 Fa ports at a time and connects to the pinnacle.

    There are various commands (hidden/maintenance mode commands) that can
    query these chips directly. For example, we recently ran into a bug
    with hybrid (CatOS 6.3.3) where the Polaris chip - responsible for
    maintaining the forwarding base (FIB) - got confused. It actually had
    10 or so in there when only two were valid. Hence frames were getting
    blackholed.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Aug 21, 2004