    amount of time? Is there a way to delete a message after you've posted? I'm
    running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed out on NGs.

    TIA

    Edge, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    You can't delete a newsgroup message. They expire from the server when the
    server's spool fills up (ie, it runs out of space). New messages move in
    and replace the oldest, repeat forever.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Don't some NG's also have an aging feature? It seems like I've heard
    statements like "this NG keeps messages for 6 weeks". Or is that simply
    a paraphrase of the actuality "this NG is allocated enough space for 6
    weeks worth of expected messages"?

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    There is no aging. Usenet is decentralized, we all read and write from
    different servers. Well, me and you are on the same server, Supernews, but
    you get my point. Each server has different sized spools for different
    things. Supernews' spools currently hold about 260 days of text retention,
    35 to 40 days of binary group retention, and 10 to 15 days of multipart
    binary retention (files posted in multiple parts, instead of one big post).
    Depending on where you read that, it may be complete crap. No person can
    post that and be right about it. Some servers (like those run by ISPs
    themselves instead of outsourcing) usually get like 5 days of text
    retention and 6 to 12 hours of binary retention. Supernews or Giganews
    will give you over 30 weeks of text retention.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004
  5. And now that you remind me I do recall that whereever it was that I read
    it it was talking about only the messages retained on that server, not
    actually about the NG.

    But thanks for clearing it up.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Edge

    -------> Ian Guest

    Yes you can... I have done many times... It doesn't get deleted from
    things like Google though. You can post a "Cancel Usenet Message". I
    don't know how to do it from Outlook Express, but it's straightforward
    with Agent.

    -------> Ian, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Edge

    Trent© Guest

    Yes...and it varies by news provider...and by the type of group.

    Some providers purge after a couple of weeks...some after a coupla
    months. And binary messages are generally purged more often than text
    messages.
    Yes...thru yer news reader. I'm not sure if this option is available
    in OE...but I would think it is. Its available in Agent.
    You can only delete a message that you posted. You can't delete
    someone else's post. That option will be grayed out if its not your
    post.

    Besides that, I think its also dependent on the news provider. Not
    all providers will let you delete messages...so I'm told. However,
    many will.

    You might want to check with AT&T on their policy.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 21, 2004
  8. Edge

    Thor Guest

    It's entirely up to the individual servers and the settings their admins
    use. No newsgroup has control over article retention. Admins of a particular
    Usenet server may set up individual expiration settings for certain
    newsgroups though.

    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  9. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    A) Cancel and delete are two different things
    B) Almost all decently run news servers (Giganews, Supernews, Easynews,
    Octanews, sharedsecrets) do not honor cancels. Cancels are easy to forge,
    I can send a cancel for every message in this group in a matter of minutes.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  10. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Not true at all. I can send a cancel for your message if I want.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  11. Edge

    Trent© Guest

    Then cancel this one.

    Let me know when you've done it...and I'll go back and check.

    Trent©, Jan 21, 2004
  12. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    There is no point in you checking. As I pointed out earlier, Giganews
    (among other major news providers) does not honor cancels.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  13. Edge

    -------> Ian Guest

    Yes, deletion is even simpler, I can delete all messages in my reader,
    but they remain on the server.
    Hmm, so although I've sent cancels before, and they have indeed been
    cancelled on the server I use, they are not cancelled on all servers?
    I know Google doesn't cancel posts, but I thought that was because it
    is an NG archiver.

    -------> Ian, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Edge

    -------> Ian Guest

    My server does though. Cancel his message, and I'll check it later.

    -------> Ian, Jan 21, 2004
  15. Edge

    Trent© Guest

    Did you write this?... lol

    Trent©, Jan 21, 2004
  16. Edge

    Trent© Guest

    You can only cancel a message on the server where it was posted. I
    can't cancel my message after its hit your server. I can't cancel it
    from your server...or any else's.

    This makes it almost impossible to cancel any message from the
    Internet. Canceling a message on the server has almost NO
    effect...except on the ISP's server...unless you get really lucky.

    The message I asked Demon to cancel...I just canceled it. But it'll be
    out on the Internet forever! lol The only folks who won't see it are
    the folks who are going to my news provider from this moment on.

    Trent©, Jan 21, 2004
  17. Edge

    Thor Guest

    Your server more than likely only honors cancels from YOU because you are
    subscribing to it, and you were the author. That will not apply to other
    servers that carry your post, which are not controlled by your usenet
    provider. Once your message has propagated outside your Usenet provider's
    servers, it is going to stay on the majority of servers out there, and you
    can try and cancel all you want. It won't do much good. This is why Demon
    will not have any luck trying to cancel Trent's post. Years ago, it was more
    common for servers to honor cancels, but it was also pretty easy to cancel
    other people's posts, so for the most part cancels are no longer honored,
    and when they are, it is only on the originating server from the person who
    posted it in the first place, as in your case.

    Thor, Jan 21, 2004
  18. Edge

    -------> Ian Guest

    Damn. Cancel messages are not sent round, just as the original posts
    were. I've just realised how embarassing that is for me...

    Oh well, no-one will remember anyway...

    -------> Ian, Jan 21, 2004
  19. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    As I posted earlier, cancels are easy to forge if you have the right
    software (stuff that will let you cancel a post you didn't make), an entire
    group of 40,000 messages can be cancelled in minutes.

    You are using what appears to be an ISP server (a server run by your
    internet service). Those typically allow cancels because they don't know
    any better.

    Major providers I can say with 100% confidence do not honor cancels:
    Supernews
    Giganews
    Easynews
    Octanews
    Shared Secrets
    100proofnews
    newshosting

    If you would like to try, cancel your message here and post when it
    disappears from your server, and I'll go and pull it off Supernews and
    Giganews and show it to you.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004
  20. Edge

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    That isn't really true either, as Giganews doesn't honor cancels.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 21, 2004