What console will you chose first?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gez, Nov 21, 2005.

?

What console will you pick first?

  1. PS3

    18.8%
  2. Xbox 360

    37.5%
  3. Nintendo Revolution

    18.8%
  4. I <3 PC gaming more

    43.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    pft.... 200 bucks. and whats its claiming to have in it... MOST UNLIKELY... Cell hasn't even been made yet and they are making it for the ps3. man u would be lucky to see the console even hit in 2007.. let alone come to us in 2006 :|

    i didn't think they would be so stupid, the price they have announced, is quite reasonable for what your getting. but honesty, its not worth paying for it, ur mostly paying for the cell and the nvidia core. if i remember rightly they sent out a prototype ps3 for companies to start making games on, they had intel like cooling problems.

    Oh yer Mike. yes there are emulators but to get them u have to be in the business. like buy the SDK's for ps2 and so forth. but i dont think ps3 and xbox360 has emulators, because they connect direct to a network, and possible run games that way...

    unholy, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ah well... If I could get emulators for the PS2 and regular XBox I'd be happy. :)

    As for the rumor, actuall X, it's not just a rumor, but whether they'll do it or not is still questionable. And the Cell is made, it exists, the reason the PS3 isn't out is because it generated too much heat and they didn't take that into consideration. (Bonehead idea).

    Also, Microsoft has gotten another chip manufacturer to make chips for the XBox360 in addition to IBM. Similar to having Intel and AMD. Read that last night but I forget who the chip maker is.

    As for the cost, yes, I have also heard the rumor of them selling the PS3 at a loss and again that's just a rumor, but if it's true it'd be nice, so long as the blasted thing isn't crippled upon arrival with this protection crap.

    The Modfather, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Gez

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    This is not a rummor, They have stated that they will sell the PS3 at a loss. However they never said how much of a loss. 10%, 5%, 1%, 80%... no one knows.

    Gez, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    why dont they just compact the ibm gene into one box and shove it in a xbox 360. then we will have a supercomputer console that will cost millions :)

    Gez, thats a rumor, if a company did that they would be more stupid then mircosoft selling for a 500% profit.. silly boy!!

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Uhh, but... er...

    The Modfather, Dec 14, 2005
  6. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    why am i wrong. seriously why would a company kill themselves? it seems so stupid

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    No, what you said about Microsoft, like, they DO THAT, ya know?

    The Modfather, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    well its true, cost them less to produce it... :| alot less then what they sell it for :| specially the enterprise stuff. lik VS.net and stuff :p

    unholy, Dec 14, 2005
  9. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Exactly, so it's in opposition to your statement. Which is why I said, er... uh...

    The Modfather, Dec 15, 2005
  10. Gez

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    OK I am serious, there is an article on CNN.com that says that the guys in charge over at sony have said that they will sell the PS3 at a loss.

    Now you asked for a reason. Sony plans on launching their new Blue-ray (High Def. DvD) format, agenst HD-DvD. Now if Sony can get millions of people to buy a cheep console that supports 'their' Blue-ray technology, they are going to buy Blue-ray DvDs.

    And if you didnt know, the PS2 was sold at a loss to the company as well. They started making a profit on it late last year.

    Gez, Dec 15, 2005
  11. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    loss development wise, not cost wise, which really isn't a loss. just takes longer to pay off the development :D

    unholy, Dec 16, 2005
  12. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    What do you call the difference between a loss cost wise and a loss development wise? Please define your terms or how you're using them here. It isn't clear to me what you mean.

    If they're going for $200 I might get one, if that crippleware idea is just a false rumor. If not, it isn't worth $2 let alone $200.

    The Modfather, Dec 16, 2005
  13. Gez

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have no idea what Unholy is talking about there, but i think he agreed with me and didn't realize it... Mabey with his tiny brain he can't understand yet how the market place works. The units sold will be placed under manufacturing price (EX. lets say a PS3 unit costs roughly $500 to make, and sony has [hypitheticly] decided to sell the PS3 at a 10% loss. Then the PS3 unit would cost $450).
    Lets look at how this can work:
    <Cost/Gain> (per unit)

    System 500/450 (10% loss)
    Games 5/55 (1100% gain) [but remember they also use about 75% of that to pay the people who make the games]

    Ok now that i finished my lesson for unholy, lets move on. Mod, I will agree with you that the PS3s idea for their software protection is a bit over the edge. Although even if it does have it, i still plan on buying the PS3. Ive bought every game for the PS2 that i own, and only ever a few times rented or barrowed a game from a friend. So in the long run it wont hurt me that much, but i still think it will hurt Sonys sales, if they do use it.

    And i can tell you why people think that piracy is such a big problem. Someone goes out and finds out how many copies of their game/movie/software have been pirated, then they take that number and multiply it by the shelf cost of the item, resulting in the 'so called' amount of money lost to the company. BUT what they fail to realize is that only a small percent of that would have actualy ever gone out and bought that 'thing', they only downloaded it because it was avalible to them.

    Gez, Dec 16, 2005
  14. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    No I agreed with you on purpose :p

    What i am trying to say they aren't actually making a physcially loss, but a development loss by predicting the amount of PS3's sold. This so they can even out how much each person pays ontop of the production costs for development costs(aka research development for the cell, sdk's, and so forth).

    heres how its expressed maths wise :D

    Cost to Produce = C
    Development Costs = D
    Sales = S

    Price = C + (D / S)

    say they sell several thousand. It also costed them 15 million to develop and to make it costs them $250

    C = $250
    D = $15,000,000
    S = 7,000

    P = 250 + (15000000 / 7000)
    P = $2392.85

    each person would pay $2392.85 for a console, just to cover there costs.

    to advance this formula they want to get a profit :D

    C = $250
    D = $15,000,000
    S = 1,000,000
    G (Gain) = $1,500,000

    P = C + ((D + G) / S)
    P = 250 + ((15,000,000 + 1,500,000) / 1,000,000
    P = $266.5

    and what if they make predict more then 1 million sales? say 5 million sales.

    P = 250 + ((15,000,000 + 1,500,000) / 5,000,000
    P = $253.3

    Sorted out what i am trying to explain? they're actually not making a loss. They could even make a large profit from more customers :D

    Really its a Sales trick :D

    Last edited: Dec 17, 2005
    unholy, Dec 16, 2005
  15. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    My god it's hard to follow you guys with your poor English. Lets get an English lession under our belts here, and do try to remember these things as they WILL help you in the future.

    1. Hypothetically
    2. Borrowed
    3. "it cost them" or "it costs them" not "it costed them".
    4. "Making a physical loss" not "making a physically loss".
    5. it's = it is, not its.
    6. "to cover their costs" not "to cover there costs". their=posessive, there=location.
    7. Not used here but I want to point these common errors out.

    You (that's you, or the person you're talking to).
    Your (posessive, that's your car).
    You're (conjunction, you are illiterate, you're illiterate).

    There (Location, is that your car over there?) not (is that you're car over their).
    Their (Posessive, that's their car, not mine).
    They're (Conjuction, They're not selling their car).

    Its (Posessive, That's its original paintjob).
    It's (Conjuntion, It's running fine).

    Use these new tools wisely, they will help you in your daily activities.

    The Modfather, Dec 17, 2005
  16. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    I shall have edited the previous post of mine, by the time this post has not been posted. :D

    unholy, Dec 17, 2005
  17. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Um, er, yeah, okay. See, that's why you don't write for the big sites, it's that grasp of the language of yours. :)

    The Modfather, Dec 18, 2005
  18. Gez

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    hey not my fault i cant write very well.

    unholy, Dec 19, 2005
  19. Gez

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Let me see...

    Is it the fault of the Australian educational system?

    No, can't be that, other Australians can write in an understandable manner, can't they?

    Is it the fault of your parents for not giving you proper guidance and dicipline?

    Could be but that's a common and cheap cop-out.

    Is it the fault of the schoolyard bully who keeps stealing your eyeglasses so you can't see the lesson on the blackboard?

    Probably not, after all, you're not a "bogan", right?

    Is it the fault of the smudged and unreadable textbooks?

    I doubt it, you could get it replaced if that was the case.

    Well then, I'm curious, whose fault is it then?

    The Modfather, Dec 19, 2005
  20. Gez

    XhArD

    Joined: