  1. bert

    bert Guest

    I was going to buy the canon A80, but I just found out that does not take it

    bert, May 10, 2004

  2. take it

    That seems an unusual way to choose a camera! Perhaps the A80 will take a
    4GB drive, but only be ablt use it as a FAT-16 2GB device?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 10, 2004

  3. That can be a criteria if you already have 4Gb drive at hand, or if you want
    the best capacity/price ratio.

    The ability to take CF Type II is quite a high-end feature. The cheapest
    camera I found that would accept a Microdrive was the Canon S50. The G
    series and S1 also take them.

    Try www.dcresource.com, you can find cameras based on that sort of feature.

    Nicholas Bales, May 10, 2004
  4. bert

    Don Guest

    Any camera that takes a Type II CF card should take a 4GB microdrive. If it
    formats the card as FAT32 it will see the entire card. If it formats as
    FAT16 (or just FAT) it will only see 2GB of it. I tried (but did not buy) a
    4GB microdrive in my Canon G2, thinking of augmenting my 1GB microdrive, but
    it wasn't worth the cost to just double the capacity. It saw it as a 2GB.

    Don

    Don, May 10, 2004
  5. bert

    O'Reilly Guest

    Yikes, what is that? A gazillion pictures? On my 10D the picture counter
    max's out at 999. According to some immediately available information a 512
    mb card will hold 204 pictures from a 5mp camera. So I don't know - about
    2000+- pictures on an A80 - about 50 rolls of 36x 35mm?

    How many batteries will that take?

    O'Reilly, May 11, 2004
  6. well, with my D70 set to RAW, the 4GB is about 800 pictures and it if
    the battery is fully charged to start with, you can finish that 4GB off
    with that 1 battery :)

    Yves Deweerdt, May 11, 2004
  7. bert

    phil Guest

    I have just bought a microdrive for £130. It is a 4Gb hitachi, it will
    work as a 2Gb unit in my canon S50, very cheap for 2Gb. FAT 16 will
    not support over 2Gb on non computing devices, check the camera makers
    specs and be careful of sellers claims that big drives will work in
    your camera, beware "CF ERROR"! The posts pointing out mechanical
    issues have a point, I bought my drive for taking indoor pics as RAW
    files. Microdrives do not like altitude and high G-forces so you pays
    your money if you intend to do mountain photography. Whether the
    manufacturers will offer firmware upgrades to handle FAT32 or not
    there are bargains out there for 4gb drives (which may or may not
    operate as 2Gb drives in most good compacts and SLRs). In solid-state
    memory 512Mb seems to be the most pics per £ at present and If your
    use warrants the extra read/write speed the ULTRA2 product is getting
    cheaper by the month.

    phil, May 24, 2004
  8. bert

    phil Guest

    On the advice of a friend I re-formatted the drive on my desktop
    computer and put it back In the camera, it now shows as 4Gb, I have
    just finished shooting a time lapse from a tripod mount and I am
    Impressed by the quality for a compact viewed on a 19" monitor. I shot
    1,600 images at 2.5Mb and viewed them at 10 frames per second. As for
    the photography side I relish the thought that I do not need to be too
    sparing In Initial selection when outdoors, spare battery allowing.

    phil, May 30, 2004