    I assume I can take those RGB numbers and somehow crank them into
    Photoshop to affect a color correction.

    Thanks

    Al Dykes, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Al Dykes

    Tom Guest

    Sorry, I don't understand. Why not open in Photoshop and find out the RGB
    values with the colour picker tool?

    Tom, Sep 26, 2005

  3. Al Dykes

    Bill DeWitt Guest

    Tom mentioned in passing :
    I am afraid he is attempting to find an intrinsic color that the dome
    actually has.

    The color of any object is dependent to varying extents on the color of
    the light available. A change of the shape of a cloud in the sky can change
    the RGB value of a real world object. Only in the world of computer
    animation can you say with certainty what the RGB value of an object is.
    Even those paint samplers can only tell you how much of the light -they- use
    is reflected or absorbed.

    I would change it until it looks right.

    Bill DeWitt, Sep 26, 2005
  4. Al Dykes

    bmoag Guest

    What color is a chickenhawk?

    bmoag, Sep 26, 2005
  5. Al Dykes

    alex Guest

    Sorry excuse the bad attempt at humour, but assuming the White House is
    indeed White, then 255,255,255

    Couldn't resist ;o)

    alex, Sep 26, 2005
  6. Al Dykes

    Mark² Guest

    Chicken Hawk Brown.

    Mark², Sep 27, 2005
  7. Wrong. They're all yellow through and through. ("I had better things to do")

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Sep 27, 2005
  8. Al Dykes

    Sheldon Guest

    This is the correct answer. The White House is marble, which has a lot of
    variations in it. Off-white, depending on the lighting, is a good place to
    start. If you make the White House truly white everything around it will be
    off.

    Sheldon, Sep 27, 2005
  9. Al Dykes

    Mark² Guest

    They're only yellow until they fight with a chicken in the mud.
    :)

    Mark², Sep 27, 2005
  10. The White House is stone...but not marble to my memory. Its a sort of
    sandstone I think. What I do know is that it was burned during the war of
    1812 and to cover the smoke damage it was painted white and so got its nick
    name. Since its not the stone you are seeing but the paint the sort of stone
    doesn't matter all that much.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 27, 2005
  11. Al Dykes

    Jukka Aho Guest

    Wikipedia claims the smoke damage theory is an urban legend (apparently,
    the building was already painted white before it burned.) See

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_house>

    Jukka Aho, Sep 27, 2005
  12. Sorry excuse the bad attempt at humour, but assuming the White House is
    There is at least tens of whites if not hundreds. Check any paint specifier
    :)
    Me too ;-)

    Regards,

    K.Polak

    Krystian Polak, Sep 27, 2005
  13. Well....how do we know that the urban legend legend is not just an urban
    legend? Wikipeadia is interesting...but hardly authoritative.

    More authoritative is http://www.whitehousehistory.org/02/subs/02_b.html by
    the White House Historical Association...or at least that seems to be their
    claim. These people don't make any absolute claims but they do lend some
    support to the idea that the building was called the White House...or maybe
    just the white house...as far back as 1798.

    I have never toured the White House. There was an episode of The West Wing
    where the burning of the house is mentioned along with a mention that signs
    of the damage still exists. Can anyone verify this? Something they have seen
    themselves?

    So...some questions. Was the building ever actually painted Grey? Could the
    name go all the way back to the masons whitewashing the stone to protect it?
    Could a thin wash actually protect the stone? Do we know of this being done
    anywhere else? If the white wash was to be painted over in grey would people
    call it by a color that was so temporary? Hence the question of whether it
    was ever grey. What does any of this have to do with the color balance of a
    shot of the White House?

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 27, 2005
  14. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    Back to my OP;

    I asked if someone had the calibrated RGB values for a famous
    landmark, the WH or the Capital dome. I guess I also need
    the reflectivity value.

    I have a bunch of pics from the march and I want to try to improve the
    color correction by using the shots with these landmarks as "grey
    cards".

    Is this completely off-base? I'm new to photoshop and attempts at
    decent photography.

    http://www.6gen.com/photography/WDC/index.html

    Al Dykes, Sep 27, 2005

  15. * The White House is 168 feet (51.2 meters) long

    * The White House is 85 feet 6 inches (26.1 meters) wide without
    porticoes; 152 feet wide with porticoes.

    * The overall height of the White House (to the top of the roof)
    is 70 feet on the south and 60 feet 4 inches on the north; the façade
    (grade of lawn to parapet) is 60 feet on the south (lawn at 54 feet
    above sea level) and 50 feet 4 inches on the north.
    * It takes 300 gallons of white paint to cover the exterior of
    just the residence portion of the White House (center), excluding the
    West and East Wings.

    Scott in Florida, Sep 27, 2005
  16. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    As someone who repsects academic credentials relevant to any
    discussion I've recently become a fan of Wikipedia as long as it's
    read critically.

    It can respond much more quickly to current events than anything but
    the newspapers. This can help damp down the rumor and conspiracy
    factory that is the Internet.

    At it's best it openly acknowlegdes shortcommings and in the
    discussions tab allows controversy. This is new and important. The
    standard media has nothing like this. I can look up something
    happening in the world that I'm unfamiliar with and get the basics and
    then see if there are two, or more, sides to the story.

    It's a great place to look for links to possibly more authorative
    sources.

    Al Dykes, Sep 27, 2005
  17. At it's best it openly acknowlegdes shortcommings and in the
    I like it too...and I contribute to the process. But, as there are few
    subjects where the absolute truth can be known should we trust any source
    for anything? As regards the OP so the building is white....what shade of
    white? Actually it doesn't matter. What you want is not accuracy, but a
    perception of accuracy. You want it to appear in the photo as it appeared to
    you when you shot it. You cannot have that. The dynamic range of the real
    world is larger than we can capture. So the best you can do is capture the
    feeling that you had when there and that is subjective. Pick a neutral point
    and see if it works. If it looks the way you want and nothing else is too
    far off then what more can you expect.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 27, 2005
  18. It looks like the White House is painted White....

    But which one: Off white, Dutch white, Zinc white, Milk white, Buttery
    white, Paris white, House white, Arctic white.........Cloud white, Antique
    white? ;-)

    Regards,

    K.Polak

    Krystian Polak, Sep 28, 2005