What certifications are better: MCAD+MCSD or the three MCTS ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by tomjbr.32022025, Jun 15, 2006.

  1. As far as I can understand, the three MCTS's certifications seems to be
    overlapping with MCAD+MCSD, at least in the sense that both of them can
    lead to MCPD's.

    Will the certifications MCAD and MCSD soon become available for .NET
    2.0 & Visual Studio 2005 ???

    I am about to choose certification path, and am wondering which one of
    these two alternatives would be a better choice ???

    Alternative 1:
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: Web Developer
    MCPD: Windows Developer
    MCPD: Enterprise Applications Developer
    (
    I would achieve the above 6 certifications with the following 7 exams:
    Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Application
    Development Foundation
    Exam 70-528: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Web-Based Client
    Development
    Exam 70-526: TS - Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 - Windows-based Client
    Development
    Exam 70-529: TS - Microsoft .NET Framework Distributed Application
    Development
    Exam 70-547: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications by Using
    the Microsoft .NET Framework (tillgängligt sommaren 2006)
    Exam 70-548: PRO: Designing and Developing Windows Applications by
    Using the Microsoft .NET Framework (tillgängligt sommaren 2006)
    Exam 70-549: PRO - Designing and Developing Enterprise Applications
    by Using the Microsoft .NET Framework (tillgängligt sommaren 2006)
    )

    Alternative 2:
    MCAD
    MCSD
    MCPD: Web Developer
    MCPD: Windows Developer
    MCPD: Enterprise Applications Developer
    (
    I would achieve the above 5 certifications with the following 9 exams:
    70-315: Developing and Implementing Web Applications with MS Visual C#
    ..NET and MS Visual Studio .NET
    70-320: Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with MS
    Visual C# and the MS .NET Framework
    70-316: Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with MS
    Visual C# .NET and MS Visual Studio .NET
    70-300: Analyzing Requirements and Defining .NET Solution Architectures
    (obligatorisk)
    70-230: Designing and Implementing Solutions with MS BizTalk Server
    2000, Enterprise Edition (t.ex.)
    70-551: UPGRADE: MCAD skills to MCPD: Web Developer by Using the
    Microsoft .NET Framework (tillgängligt sommaren 2006)
    70-552: UPGRADE: MCAD Skills to MCPD: Windows Developer by Using the
    Microsoft .NET Framework (tillgängligt sommaren 2006)
    70-553: UPGRADE: MCSD Microsoft .NET Skills to MCPD: Enterprise
    Application Developer by Using the Microsoft .NET Framework
    70-554: UPGRADE: MCSD Microsoft .NET Skills to MCPD: Enterprise
    Application Developer by Using the Microsoft .NET Framework: Part 2
    )

    / Tomas

    tomjbr.32022025, Jun 15, 2006

  2. Hi Thomas,

    As far as I understand it, MCTS and MCPD are the new MCAD and MCSD. So if
    you are starting your certification, I'd go with the newest one, and head
    for MCTS right away.

    Greetings
    Wessel

    Wessel Troost, Jun 15, 2006
  4. tomjbr.32022025

    Guest Guest

    It really depends on which version of framework you are using at work. If you
    are using 1.1 then MCAD and MCSD.NET seem more suitable. If you are using
    v2.0 then go for MCTS and MCPD.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2006
  6. tomjbr.32022025

    Cerebrus Guest

    Wessel is right.

    Cerebrus, Jun 16, 2006
  7. tomjbr.32022025

    Cerebrus Guest

    Wessel is right.

    Cerebrus, Jun 16, 2006
  8. Not exactly. The MCTS is the new MCP. MCPD Win and MCPD Web are the new
    MCAD and the MCPD EAD is the new MCSD.

    This should be obvious because of the number of exams required for each and
    the upgrade paths provided by Microsoft.

    Death from Above

    Death from Above, Jun 16, 2006
  10. tomjbr.32022025

    Guest Guest

    I want to make a break into the IT industry and I am thinking of doing MCAD
    and then MCSD.

    If what you say is correct what would then be the more wise investment in
    terms of time and money seeing as I will be new to the IT industry: to do
    MCAD/MCSD or the MCTS and or MCPD?

    Is there an increase in companies as to there implimentation of .Net 2.0 or
    are most sticking to the previous version. I reckon this might be an
    indication as to which of the certicifations to go for?

    Any thoughts?
    Francois

    Guest, Jun 19, 2006
  12. tomjbr.32022025

    Guest Guest

    It usually takes quite some time to learn all the theory and to prepare
    yourself for all the exams. So by the time you've finished your certification
    track VS 2003 and MCAD/MCSD are likely to be almost obsolete.

    VS 2005 is the latest version. People will use it more and more. So when you
    start out with new stuff, always take the most recent software and
    certification.

    Additionally, the new certifications make more sense, jobwise. Instead of
    knowing everything, you specialize yourself.

    Guest, Jun 30, 2006