    The Canon D300 Digital Rebel SLR or the Nikon D70 SLR. I'm considering one
    of the two cameras to replace my Epson digital 3100D.

    Thanks, Rainy Iannucci

    Rainy, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Rainy

    Straycat Guest

    Depends if you want to use canon or nikor lenses

    Straycat, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Rainy

    Bruce Guest

    Yes exactly, its the lenses that matter the most.

    Although the Nikon D70 has better specs, but until a reviewer actually gets
    one in his hands we can only speculate on the build quality.

    Bruce, Feb 2, 2004
  4. If that is true, the only choice is Sigma (available for any DSLR). Sigma's
    latest EX suff is consistently outperforming Canon L glass, is better built,
    and generally costs about 1/3rd the price. EX's are still pricey though,
    but not the multi-thousand dollar mind-numbing ripoffs that Nikkor and Canon
    force down your throat--or so they thought, before Sigma took over as the
    world's largest lens maker.
    It can't possibly be worse than the 300D. The cheapest P&S you can buy is
    much stronger than the flimsy Canon.

    George Preddy, Feb 2, 2004

  5. Are you kidding? That has to be a joke.

    Robert Meyers, Feb 2, 2004
  6. No, I'm not kidding. The cheapest P&S I found was $89 with a metal body.
    The 300D is cheap plastic without a metal subframe. The buttons are
    vintage Fisher Price. You can twist it with little effort and it flexes and
    pops (careful, you might buy it). The 10D is creaky when flexed too, but at
    least it has a metal frame.

    Another aspect of build quality is operating speed...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page11.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp

    Open a separate browser window and compare side by side with this...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd9/page10.asp

    The Canon's are every bit prosumer cameras in terms of operating speed. The
    10D adds an ok body. Do yourself a favor and get a pro DSLR through and
    through, it's worth the huge savings.

    George Preddy, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Rainy

    Rainy Guest

    I'm looking for honest opinions, if you have a personal vendetta against
    Canon you should take it up with them!

    Rainy, Feb 2, 2004
  8. I have a problem with both Canon and Nikon lenses lack of value. They've
    been ripping off people for eons, charging thousands of dollars for easily
    attainable performance. I am glad they've been knocked off by higher
    quality, better built Sigmas, selling for 1/3rd the price. Hold them side
    by side for a real shocker. It's no wonder Sigma is the biggest lens maker
    in the world today.

    George Preddy, Feb 2, 2004
  9. Rainy

    Colm Guest

    If I were you I'd hold off a little to see how the new Nikon changes things.
    If the real world results are good it will be well worth a look. Let others
    do the beta testing for you.
    I would expect Canon prices to drop a little in response to it's release as
    well, so now isn't really the right time to buy if you can help it.
    As has been pointed out, the lenses are the important part of the system, so
    give some thought to what you need in that area and factor it into your
    decision.

    Colm, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Rainy

    Lionel Guest

    Bruce, please ignore the Preddy-Troll. Unfortunately, he's a little
    unbalanced & tends to give very poor advice. Most of the other people
    are worth listening to.

    Lionel, Feb 2, 2004
  11. Rainy

    Lionel Guest

    Preddy's a nutcase who hates every camera maker but Sigma. As a couple
    of people have already said, both the Nikon & Canon models you're
    looking at are excellent.

    If you already have either Canon or Nikon lenses, go with the same
    brand. If you're starting from scratch, I'd be tempted to go with the
    D70, (despite the fact that I use a 10D myself) because Canon nobbled a
    lot of the power that the 300D should've inherited from the 10 when they
    designed the 300D, & preliminary reports on the D70 show that it's much
    more flexible as a result. Do bear in mind though that nobody has yet
    published an in-depth review on the D70, so it might be a good idea to
    hold on to your cash until the experts get a chance to compare them
    head-to-head.

    HTH, etc.

    Lionel, Feb 2, 2004
  12. But Sigma has yet to invent IS. I love my 28-135mm IS USM from Canon.
    1/6s - 1/8s shutter at full zoom, 1/2 second shutter handhold at wide.

    And not all Sigma lenses are much cheaper than equivalent Canon.
    I guess you don't have one ? The Polycarbonat material is very strong,
    and it is just the skin on a stiff solid metal frame anyway. Flimsy
    is a wrong word to use.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Feb 2, 2004
  13. You probably had you hands on a dummy, like the one my dealer had in the
    Window.

    Mine has a metal skeleton, making it very stiff, and it doesn't give
    even when yanking up/down on a lens. The only noise is from the
    CF compartment door.

    BTW: The plastic is polycarbonat, used for bulletbroof windows,
    and molded in a way that makes it pretty strong. The army is even
    looking at producing a plastic tank, as good plastic is stronger
    and ligther than steel.
    I have started with the 300D as my 5th digicam. And I think
    it is a good start. And I can start collecting lenses.

    The Sigma SD9 / SD10 has one construction error, they do not use
    Canon type lenses.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Feb 2, 2004
  14. What is their walkaround IS lens ? Like the Canon 28-135mm IS USM ?
    Do they have something like a nice 70-200L IS ?

    Povl H. Pedersen, Feb 2, 2004
  15. Rainy

    Lionel Guest

    Even more likely he had his hands on his penis.

    Lionel, Feb 2, 2004
  16. Rainy

    stan Guest

    The D70 isn't available yet, is it?

    stan, Feb 2, 2004
  17. In gerenal though they seem to lack quality, and especially sharpness. I
    would suggest to the original poster, that in essence, this posters
    reasoning is partially right, even if I find his ideas quite off. The glass
    is what counts.

    I would suggest you review the following sites:

    www.photodo.com (how sharp do you want your lenses, and yes, sigma is
    listed).

    www.photographyreview.com (peer review of lenses and equipment; I would urge
    you to ignore the body review and review the lenses, they are where your
    money will go)

    www.photozone.de (a broken down review of lenses is on this site)

    I for one would chose Canon any day of the week over Nikon. You just get
    more for what you pay for. Nikon glass is noticibly more expensive, and
    notably not sharper or faster. And... it is not all USM based, so you have
    many more noisy/slow focusing lenses.

    On the other hand, if I bought a camera today, I would hit my head against a
    wall repeatidly for not waiting two weeks for PMA. It is Valentines weekend
    (and as such, no can go). I would not however wait for the next one, just
    not worth it.

    If $1000 isyour price point, then I would plan on buying a Rebel... but it
    is not my faviorite camera by a long shot. Another idea you may want to
    look at would be buying a used Pro Film (EOS 3 ~$400-600) camera and a
    Minolta 5400 scanner... 41 Mega Pixels, and speed.

    Good luck though!

    Robert Meyers, Feb 2, 2004
  18. Tough choice. I suppose I'd go with Canon due to their better selection of
    high quality amateur lenses. One area where Canon outshines Nikon is in the
    lens selection and the lens mount. Canon has a long history of high quality
    amateur lenses.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 2, 2004
  19. The original poster has neither at this time, so he can start fresh. I might
    wait to see what Canon's response is to the D70. Otherwise, either choice
    will be fine. The advantage of Canon is that they have a better selection of
    amateur and professional lenses.

    At least there is finally an alternative to the 10D and Digital Rebel. Don't
    want Canon getting too cocky after virtually cornering the entire market for
    prosumer and amateur digital SLRs!

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 2, 2004
  20. Rainy

    Tony Spadaro Guest