What Cable Do I Need to Transfer Files from Old to New Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Coat Chick, Mar 17, 2007.

  1. Coat Chick

    Coat Chick Guest

    I am replacing my Gateway PII running W98 with a new Dell.
    What cable do I need to transfer files/settings from my old
    computer to my new one? Is it one of the cables that I already
    have connecting my computer setup together? TIA.
    Coat Chick, Mar 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. Coat Chick

    WhzzKdd Guest

    What do you HAVE connecting the computer setup together?

    Typically, I'd run the FAST Wizard in XP. On the Dell, click Start, All
    Programs, Accessories, System Tools, File and Settings Transfer Wizard.

    It will give you plenty of options for connecting and transferring data.
    Here's a web article:
    WhzzKdd, Mar 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Coat Chick

    SJP Guest

    "Is it one of the cables that I already have connecting my computer setup
    together? TIA."

    No idea as you don't tell us how you have you computers setup together.
    SJP, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Coat Chick

    Coat Chick Guest

    Sorry. I just have the cables connecting the CPU to 1) the monitor, 2) the
    keyboard, and 3) the printer. I guess I need to buy a special cable to
    connect the old CPU to the new one?
    Coat Chick, Mar 17, 2007
  5. Coat Chick

    Maximum Dog4 Guest

    It's called a Null or Cross Over cable, use Google look it up.
    Maximum Dog4, Mar 17, 2007
  6. Coat Chick

    Coat Chick Guest

    The two computers aren't connected yet. By "setup" I meant is my one-cpu
    CPU, monitor, keyboard, printer.

    Just connecting the old and new computers directly to transfer
    I checked the article and more. It looks like I need either a null mode
    cable or ethernet crossover cable. Both the old and the new computer have
    ethernet, so I guess I can use an ethernet crossover cable.
    If null mode serial cable, is it DE9 male to male (or DB25)?

    Sorry for the ignorance.
    Coat Chick, Mar 17, 2007
  7. Coat Chick

    Mike Easter Guest

    There is a common misuse of the acronym CPU -- which CPU actually means
    'central processing unit' or microprocessor. This is a chip in the
    motherboard/mobo where it is supported by supporting chips and ram. The
    CPU is /not/ the tower or cabinet housing the powersupply/PS,
    diskdrives, mobo, etc. There is not a handy abbreviation for that
    tower/case; but the CPU one should not be applied to it.
    The new computer is going to make available a wizard for file and
    settings transfer. How the wizard is used depends on what kind of
    connectivity two computers have. You will need to be sufficiently
    familiar with the connections on the back of the old computer and the
    new computer to find something which is common to both.

    Some computers can be connected via their ethernet ports, some via their
    serial ports. Generally when people are unfamiliar with what kind of
    connectivity ports the old and new computers have, they seem to have
    trouble at the store where people want to sell them a cable.
    Mike Easter, Mar 17, 2007
  8. Coat Chick

    WhzzKdd Guest

    The ethernet (CAT5) crossover cable will be substantially faster. Go for
    that. Then before you can actually transfer files/settings, you want to run
    the "Home Network Setup Wizard". It could be done manually, but the wizard
    usually works satisfactorily without having to learn basic networking.

    To run the Home Network Setup Wizard (in XP): open My Computer, on the left
    side click on My Network Places, then again on the left side, click on Setup
    a home or small office network. It usually uses a floppy disk to set up the
    other PC - so if your new PC doesn't have a floppy drive, you can use a
    Windows XP Setup CD - when the CD loads, there is a menu option for Perform
    Additional Tasks - click that, then the wizard is availble from the next
    WhzzKdd, Mar 17, 2007
  9. Coat Chick

    Coat Chick Guest

    Thank you very much. And thanks to all who responded.
    Coat Chick, Mar 17, 2007
  10. Coat Chick

    Lookout Guest

    Move the HD from the old PC into the new PC. File transfer is easy
    Lookout, Mar 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.