    Also, is there a good site that explains the various mobo/CPU/RAM
    types/families - i.e. Socket whatever, etc.? Trying to sort it all out.

    Thanks.

    Doc, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Doc

    Robert Baer Guest

    Virtually any brand-name computer has proprietary hardware and/or
    software (if so, usually embedded on the hard drive).
    Virtually any no-brander has no proprietary stuff.

    Robert Baer, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Doc

    paulmd Guest

    Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Emachines Etowers (newer emachines use
    standard mATX), have a propreitary power supply.

    Micron, Alienware, Tiny i think use, a standard atx.

    Most small shops use a standard atx.

    paulmd, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Doc

    Ralph Mowery Guest

    You almost have to go with the home built computer to insure this. Maybe
    one built by a local computer shop or one of the ones put together by a mail
    order company.
    Dell, Gateway,Compaq, and E machines usually have their own special parts.

    Ralph Mowery, Jun 8, 2006
  5. Doc

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Take unbranded hardware. All others have a tendency to design their
    own stuff or have it designed for them.
    Difficult. You need to spend a lot of time on this. And it is
    s movinf target.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jun 8, 2006
  6. Doc

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Compaq is probably the worst example to have gone for ! Del have oddball psu
    connectors and I'd give HP a miss too.

    Any 'generic' pc is fine though. If you're into it, homebuilt is grest.
    Umm..... I knew one.
    http://www.pcmech.com/cpuindex.htm

    Not the one I was thinking of but looks ok.

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Jun 8, 2006
  7. Doc

    Bob Eager Guest

    Used to have..

    Bob Eager, Jun 8, 2006
  8. Doc

    JDL Guest

    Just get the fastest cpu in your price range/budget. Don't be afraid to
    go AMD for your CPU. They're a better value. I've been using AMD's for
    10 years and never had a problem (started with a Cyrix). Just get a
    non-brand name PC. Something like this one would be good for you.
    Cheap. Easy to upgrade. Good graphics card. Just need to put more RAM
    in it for video editing.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-64-2800-160GB-HARDDRIVE-BOISTAR-BOARD-9600-
    ATI_W0QQitemZ8825269400QQcategoryZ51146QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    JDL, Jun 8, 2006
  9. Beg to differ. I tried to upgrade a Compaq Evo at work (new Motherboard,
    CPU, RAM). Although the case was standard and took the ATX board without
    any problems the PSU was just weird.

    Firstly it had a power connector that must have been unique to Compaq - I
    checked all the known PSU pinout arrangements and this was a totally new
    one.

    So I decided to buy a replacement PSU. Found that the size and the position
    of the mounting holes for the Compaq unit were non-standard. I ended up
    having to cut some of the case chassis away and mount the PSU on 2 screws
    out of 4.

    Compaq may have changed their act now but I can say with confidence that it
    wasn't always the case.

    Cheers,

    Nigel

    Nigel Heather, Jun 8, 2006
  10. Doc

    Bob Eager Guest

    I was referring to Dell...sorry.

    Bob Eager, Jun 8, 2006
  11. Doc

    Pooh Bear Guest

    But would you risk it ?

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Jun 8, 2006
  12. Doc

    Bob Eager Guest

    Easy enough to check...

    Bob Eager, Jun 8, 2006
  13. Doc

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Assuming you knew about it.

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Jun 8, 2006
  14. Doc

    Jerry G. Guest

    From what we have seen, all the brand names use their own propriotory
    parts.

    Your best bet is to build up your own computer from scratch using
    generic cards, mother board, case, power supply, drives, and etc. This
    way, you can add almost whatever you want, as long as it is both
    hardware and software compatable to the system you put together.

    When building your own system yourself, take care that YOU are the
    technical support for your own system.

    You will save a few dollars on the construction of the system, but you
    are on your own.

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jun 8, 2006
  15. Doc

    DaveW Guest

    The major brands of computers ALL use prioprietary parts that they can buy
    for cheaper than stock manufacturers parts. That's the main reason people
    bother to build home grown computers.

    DaveW, Jun 9, 2006
  16. Doc

    Pooh Bear Guest

    They actually rarely use proprietary *parts* such as semiconductors since these
    are available on the open market. What they may do for reasons known only to
    themesleves is to package them in non-compatible ways.

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  17. Doc

    paulmd Guest

    Errrr. Reread the post, you're not differing.

    paulmd, Jun 9, 2006
  18. Doc

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Errrr... when posting a comment half way through only *please* trim the remainder
    !

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Jun 9, 2006
  19. Doc

    kony Guest

    There are always exceptions when it comes to OEM systems,
    but quite a few (the majority now?) of Compaq, HP, Dell and
    Gateway do use standard PSU. The case wiring harness is
    still too often integrated though, a bit of a pain if they
    don't provide easy access to the pinout if/when needed
    later.

    kony, Jun 9, 2006
  20. Doc

    kony Guest

    Go to local stores and check them for yourself.
    Check the back panel, the I/O plate to ensure it is the
    standard rectangular shape, not holes stamped out of the
    metal casing.

    Check the interior for the PSU form-factor and the power
    connector pins, 20 or 24 pins and the wire coloring. take a
    printout of the ATX connector standards with you if
    necessary.

    Also note whether the system comes with or had omitted
    things like the bays for (potential) drive positions that
    are empty. For example on a Dell without a floppy drive in
    it, you may have the front case plate but no rack inside,
    making it a lot more difficult than it should be to add a
    floppy or other floppy-sided device (like an internal card
    reader, audio I/O or whatever).

    kony, Jun 9, 2006