    clean slate... i know nothing about networks
    but quite interested in MCSE... where should i start?

    what basics do i need?

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Guest

    Neil Guest

    Neil, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    basically starting from scratch!
    At the beginning perhaps?
    The industry does not want [more] people with the 'basics', the
    industry needs skilled, experienced professionals.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Guest

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    rubbish! there can never be enough burger flippers.

    now, can i supersize with the coupon or not?

    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/
    --
    "Hate perfectly describes my feelings. I loathe you. I detest you. I think
    CBIC, circa 2005

    Rowdy Yates, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Guest

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    well, sit down my son and I will tell you.

    you need to first get yourself one of these.
    http://tinyurl.com/clqvr

    then you got to get one of these
    http://tinyurl.com/9ag2g

    and then you got to talk to him about it.
    http://tinyurl.com/al8dy

    don't forget about my coupon.

    Rowdy Yates, MCNGP #39
    http://www.mcngp.com/

    Rowdy Yates, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    and then you got to talk to him about it.
    I'm waiting for his next comeback!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Dec 5, 2005
  7. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    Well here ya go!
    http://www.kitchenkapers.com/foreman-g5-exchangeable-grill.html
    I guess the whole lean mean grilling thing has pretty much played out.
    Bring on the waffles and bacon!

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone." - F.

    MitchS, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    I'm waiting for his next comeback!
    Mitch you big tease! I thought that was going to take me to, well, to
    something like Tyson Vs Foreman, lets get ready to rrrrrrumble, you
    has beens!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    It's all fun and games until someone loses an ear. The gift of the biggest
    dang waffle iron I've seen for consumer purchase would be a nuch better
    prize methinks.

    MitchS, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Guest

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Mitch you big tease! I thought that was going to take me to, well, to
    hee, hee

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    Kline Sphere, Dec 5, 2005
  11. Very true, the burger flippers make us look good.

    --
    Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

    Bill McPherson, Dec 5, 2005
  12. Guest

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, =?Utf-8?B?c2hpdmVr?= spewed across the
    ether:
    Learn about networks. How the heck can you be inerested in something you
    know nothing about?

    Jeez...

    JaR, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    You're not getting it. He knows nothing about networks, but he's INTERESTED
    in MCSE. There is a difference. Maybe he saw LRM in person or something.

    Frisbee®, Dec 5, 2005
  14. Guest

    kpg Guest

    I wondered about that myself.

    Maybe it's all those flashing lights he likes.

    ohhhh, pretty...

    <another vague kpg remembrance>

    Some author, I don't remember his name, Sci Fi, though, maybe
    Heinlien (if that's how it's spelled, I don't remember), said
    he was at a cocktail party (I think it was a cocktail party,
    maybe a book signing, I don't remember) and someone came up to
    him and said, "I always wanted to be a writer", to which his
    canned response was, "I always wanted to be a brain surgeon".
    the bewildered admirer would walk away confused. He explained,
    if that you want to write, then write.

    I don't remember how this has relevance on the poster's question.

    </another vague kpg remembrance>

    kp "it was a long weekend" g

    Action. Desire. Romance.
    www.MCNGP.com

    kpg, Dec 5, 2005
  15. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    I'm interested in underwater welding, and all I know about it is that it's
    welding and it's underwater.

    MitchS, Dec 5, 2005
  16. Guest

    JaR Guest

    In microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MitchS spewed across the ether:
    Well then, grab a torch and jump in some water. How tough can it be?

    JaR, Dec 5, 2005
  17. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    I tried, but I can't get the damd striker to spark. Maybe I should light it
    before I go under...

    MitchS, Dec 5, 2005
  18. Welcome.

    You need a Microsoft Training Kit for Windows Server 2003 (exams 70-290 to
    70-294), which is $130 on Amazon and the 70-270 book (Microsoft mcse/mcsa
    training kit on XP) which is another $40 or so on Amazon. Just search for
    "MCSE training kit" and you'll find them all on the same page.

    With shipping I think that'll be roughly $200 for everything. You will later
    need to purchase some practice tests. Microsoft recommends MeasureUp and
    Self Test I believe.

    This kit will come with trialware software to get you started.

    You will need either one computer that has enough power (1Ghz or better) and
    memory (1GB, 2GB preferred, and I have 3GB) in it to run multiple virtual
    computers, or 3 computers capable of running Windows XP.

    The Dos:

    1. Read the books thoroughly.
    2. Take the time to setup the lab and actually do the lab exercises.
    3. Become a Windows XP expert - should take you a couple of months of
    intense study. Take the 70-270 test. You are now an MCP, congratulations.
    4. Go to http://directory.microsoft.com/mprd and find your local Microsoft
    partners. Call them and see if any are interested in working with you. This
    source should be far more fruitful than competing for published opernings.
    Don't expect to get paid until you are at least MCSA. Right now, we would be
    quite interested in working with more MCPs due to stricter requirements from
    Microsoft.
    5. Attain your MCSA, and later MCSE. By the time you are an MCP, you'll know
    how to do that. The exact path is described in every book in excruciating
    detail.
    6. Watch Microsoft on-demand webcasts at
    http://support.microsoft.com/webcasts
    7. Pay attention to content on http://www.microsoft.com/mcp

    The Don'ts:

    1. Braindumps (real Microsoft questions published in violation of NDA) can
    be tempting, but do not succumb to that temptation. Test materials from
    Testking, Actualtests, Allcertsit, and a few other sources that advertise
    via spam are illegal, not to metion full of errors.
    2. Don't presume that Microsoft tests are easy and you can pass them without
    any effort. That is plainly not true. The days of the relatively easy NT4
    MCSE are long gone now.
    3. Don't be afraid of the simulations. I find them easier than tests because
    all the clues are on my screen. If you do the exercises, you'll find sims
    more helpful and full of answers for your text-only questions that you are
    not sure of.
    4. Don't waste your time and money with Comptia certs (A+, Net+ etc).

    Getting MCSE will take a while. It may take you about 6 months to get to the
    MCSA level after you are an XP MCP. Most jobs that you will be looking at
    won't require MCSE anyway. Getting MCDST might be a good idea, and as of
    time of this writing you can get some free training from Microsoft on that
    cert.

    There you have it. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time reading for the rest
    of your life as the technology changes far too rapidly. I, for example,
    spend a couple of hours a week just reading latest KB updates.

    If you are looking at our industry as easy money, you will be disappointed.
    We have to maintain a continuous competitive edge and that means churning
    through a ton of information, quite literally if it were expressed in terms
    of books.

    Good luck!

    Leonid S. Knyshov, Dec 5, 2005
  19. Networks? As in the 0015 variety?

    Brett Jarcevic, Dec 6, 2005
  20. Guest

    Neil Guest

    and how can I know so much about you when I'm not interested...

    Neil, Dec 6, 2005