what aspect ratio, or pixel size I have to maintain to fully display it on TV ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mario, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Mario

    Mario Guest

    Hello,

    Excuse me if I dont well explain my problem:

    I take a digital pic of size: 3072 x 2304 pixel, it says it is 108,3 x
    81,2 cm size.

    The original pic is fully displayed well on the TV set from a CD

    If I turn the pic around by 90 deg. or if I cut part of the original
    pic it isnt anymore fully shown on the TV screen but the area is much
    smaller.

    What should I do to fill uo the entire TV screen as much as possible ?

    What in the case of turning aroung the pic ?

    What in the case I cut part of the pic ?

    Please explain me, thanks

    Mario

    Mario, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Mario

    Rodrigo C. Guest

    in the case you cut, you only have to maintain the convencional TV or
    monitor aspect ratio, that is, 4:3
    for example, if you crop a picture to 2000 pixels wide, you need 2000/4*3 =
    1500 pixels high to fill the entire screen.

    in the case that you turn the pic by 90 deg, you will have 3:4 aspect ratio
    instead of 4:3, so you will have to do a mayor crop to fit in the screen and
    probably you will miss an important portion of the picture.

    Rodrigo C., Jan 4, 2005

  3. Mario

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Your TV has an aspect ratio of 4:3

    Your 3072 x 2340 image has an aspect ratio of 3:2

    I imagine the image fits, but there is a small amount of empty screen
    above and below the image. I also imagine that rotated imgages appear
    much smaller and have a lot of empty screen on each side.

    If you rotate the image, you'll have to crop some off the top and/or
    bottom for it to fit. If you keep width at 2340 pixels, then the
    hight will have to be cut from 3072 pixels to 1728 pixels.

    This will result in an image that's 2340 x 1728 . It now as a 4:3
    aspect ratio and will fit your TV screen. Of course this may not be
    the best solution because it involves a drastic crop which will
    no doubt cut off parts of the subject. Unfortunately I can't see any
    other way of doing it.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Mario

    Pete Guest

    Turn your TV on its side :)

    Pete, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Mario

    Nostrobino Guest

    No it doesn't. His image is 3072x2304 and that's 4:3, but that isn't his
    problem anyway. His problem is that he's rotated the image 90 degrees.

    What he apparently wants to do (fill the screen with the rotated image)
    can't be done without either severe cropping or drastically distorting the
    image.

    Apart from using the wrong first number (it's 2304, not 2340) you're right
    of course. To fill the 4:3 screen with his 3072x2304 image rotated 90
    degrees, he's going to have to crop it to 2304x1728. That means throwing
    away about 44% of the image, which I doubt he wants to do.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Mario

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Or take a hammer to it. My 1600x1200 pics do NOT display correctly on my tv
    and if my arithmetic is correct 1600x1200 is 4x3. I don't know why this is.
    Maybe it is my GE dvd player. I've posted this observation before but never
    got an answer. If I burn to cd using MyDVD as a slide show everything is ok.
    The problem by the way is vertical elongation which I can fix by re-sampling
    to 640x420. Has the op tried re-sampling.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jan 4, 2005
  7. LOL, this was the only correct answer to the 90° question. :)-)

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Mario

    Jim Townsend Guest

    You're absolutely right.. I stand corrected. I saw the 3072 and assumed it
    was an image from a 10D, 300D or the like.. (They're 3072x2048)

    Gotta start reading slower :)

    Jim Townsend, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Mario

    Nostrobino Guest

    Know what you mean, I do the same thing. (So many posts, so little time.)
    :)

    N.

    Nostrobino, Jan 4, 2005
  10. Jim

    Excuse me for going off topic but your posting has set me thinking. My TV
    does not have an aspect ratio of 4:3. Like an increasing number of TVs in
    the UK it is 16:9, or "widescreen", format.

    I wonder if any camera manufacturers have cottoned on to this trend and are
    contemplated adding a widescreen option to their TV output. Is widescreen
    TV purely a UK phenomenon or is it becoming common in other countries too?

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 5, 2005
  11. Keith,

    same in Germany and probably all over Europe.

    I actually don't like it.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Mario

    Owamanga Guest

    Yep, noticed that when I visited UK over Christmas, 5 out of 6 places
    I went had switched to widescreen TV. Buggers up the viewing
    experience because many channels are still transmitting in 4:3. Brits
    are now conditioning themselves to seeing wide people, skinny people,
    people that stretch as they get close to the edges of the screen and
    have gained the capability to read a half-cropped ticker tape on the
    news channels. They consider this normal, I find it highly annoying.
    The button to change aspect ratio is often hidden inside a flap on the
    remote too, meaning it's a secondary function.

    Here in the US, people favor big-screen or High-Def TV's instead of
    widescreen. I reckon about 90%+ are still 4:3 here, and at least 50%
    of those are big-screen.

    Owamanga, Jan 5, 2005
  13. Mario

    Ben Thomas Guest

    It's all the rage down-under.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Jan 5, 2005