    by typing in ftp:\\69.167.209.xx., it doesn't work. It gives me an error
    saying that "windows cannot access this folder", "make sure you have
    permission", "the connection with the server was reset".

    David Mills, Jan 17, 2006

  2. David Mills

    Duane Arnold Guest

    192.168.1.100 is a LAN IP and any machine connected to the router (that's
    behind the router on the LAN 192.168.101/machine as an example can access
    the machine at the LAN IP 192.168.1.100/machine)

    68.167.209.xx is an IP that has been assigned by your ISP to your modem for
    lack of better words. So, all WAN/Internet IP(s) traffic addresses your
    network by that 68.167.209.xx. If you have a webserver on 192.168.1.100 and
    you wanted someone to access your Webserver over the Internet, they would
    use the 69.167.209.xx and you would use Port Forwarding on the router and
    port forward ports 20 and 21 to 192.168.1.100, which would forward FTP
    traffic to 192.168.1.100/machine from outside you LAN.

    You can also access the FTP server locally on that machine by entering
    ftp:\\localhost or ftp:\\127.0.0.1 they equate to the same thing 127.0.0.1
    *local* to the PC that has the Webserver running. And you can enter
    ftp:\\192.168.1.100 too.

    You should be using a static IP for the Webserver and not a DHCP IP on the
    router.

    Many users using IIS expose the Webserver to the public Internet and do not
    have the machine secured properly and wind up getting hacked to death.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 17, 2006

  3. David Mills

    David Mills Guest

    Duane, thanks for the info. I will take this and try to get it working.
    Question for you though. Getting/Having a static IP Address is something
    that you have to get from your ISP right?
    I have checked and I think that I have to pay a lot extra for the privilege
    to have a static IP. I can't just set something in my router can I?
    All I want to be able to do is start up IIS and my FTP server and let a
    friend pull some files over, then we he is finished, I would shut the FTP
    server down to prevent and leaks or hack attempts. This should be easy
    right? So even though I don't have a static IP, can I do the port
    forwarding thing thru the router?

    Thanks.

    David Mills, Jan 17, 2006
  4. David Mills

    Duane Arnold Guest

    No, a static IP on the router your machine can use too instead of a DHCP IP
    the machine is now being assigned. A DHCP IP on your router starts at
    192.168.1.100 for the DHCP Issue Count. If the count is 10, then DHCP IP(s)
    that can be assigned by the router to a machine start at 192.168.1.100
    through 192.168.1.110. Any other IP(s) not in that range are known as Static
    IP(s) where you must configure the NIC on the machine to use a Static IP and
    not Obtain the IP from the DHCP server on the router. So static IP(s) in
    the case above would be 192.168.1.111 and out or 192.168.1.2 through
    192.168.1.99. The *D* in DHCP means Dynamic. The reason you want to use a
    Static IP is in case the DHCP IP that the machine was using from the router
    changes to another IP. The port forwarding would no longer work because IIS
    will not be running on the machine the IP was pointing to by the router
    when doing Port Forwarding
    You can do that by giving the WAN\Internet IP to the user and have them use
    ftp:\\69.167.209.xx through their browser to connect to your FTP site where
    you would configured the router to Port Forward ports 20 and 21 to the LAN
    IP/Machine that has IIS running.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    You should keep the machine out of the DMZ and use Port Forwarding.

    You should be able to go to the router's Website Support Knowledge Base and
    search on "Port Forwarding* which should tell you how to setup the router
    and the computer's NIC. This looks to be a Linksys by the LAN IP you're
    talking about.
    Whatever your WAN IP is at the time, you give that to the other user you
    don't need a Static IP from the ISP

    I also suggest that you use a personal FW on the machine and get the
    WAN/Internet IP the user will be using on their end and set rules to only
    allow that IP to reach the machine.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 17, 2006
  5. The 192. IP is that of your local network. The 192 range is one of those
    reserved for local networks. The 69 IP is your actual IP on the Internet.
    What happens if you try the Internet IP from a different machine outside
    the network? And what are you trying to do--exchange files within the
    network, or permit access from outside?

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 17, 2006
  6. David Mills

    Duane Arnold Guest

    One other thing, you may have to use PASV mode on the browser on the other
    end and you may need to use PASV mode on the FTP Website too. Well, that's
    what I had to do a few years back to get family members to connect to my FTP
    site to upload and download files as I recall, which I was into back in
    2001.

    You an use Google to look-up PASV mode for browser and FTP Website.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jan 17, 2006
  7. David Mills

    Ulf Guest

    Has anyone mentioned no-ip.com and their dynamic update client in here?
    If not so check out http://www.no-ip.com. I run an IIS and FTP server
    on my machine and I use a free no-ip.com address with their DUC client
    and it works perfect for me...I start the service manually and stop it
    when I no longer has any need for it, I run it together with zonealarm
    professional v.6.x.x and Panda Platinum Internet Security 2006 and
    I´ve never had any successful intrusion, virus or trojan or anything
    malicious to my system

    Ulf, Jan 17, 2006
  8. You already have. From your post's headers:

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 17, 2006
  9. David Mills

    David Mills Guest

    Duane, thanks for all the help and info, I will research everything you have
    said here and try to get this working.

    David Mills, Jan 19, 2006
  10. David Mills

    David Mills Guest

    Thanks for the info, that is good to know.

    David Mills, Jan 19, 2006