    There was a lot of hype about the realism of "widescreen" at the time.
    People reacted to it like it was Imax.

    Bob D.

    Bob D., Oct 1, 2004

  2. Bob D.

    luminos Guest

    luminos, Oct 1, 2004

  3. Bob D.

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    www.widescreen.org

    Photographic composition is an art, and has nothing whatsoever to do
    with filling your TV set.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Bob D.

    Rich Clark Guest

    You proceed from the false assumption that "keeping the screen filled" is
    important.

    Movie screens in theaters, in case you hadn't noticed, adjust to match the
    aspect ratio of the movie being shown. The entire industry recognizes and
    accommodates the fact that filmmakers choose the aspect ratio based on
    what's best for the movie.

    That's not going to change because a few ignorant yahoos don't like black
    bars on their screens, or feel somehow ripped off when a movie doesn't light
    up every pixel of their plasma display. Movies aren't TV shows.
    Yeah, it was a Cinerama movie. Aspect ratio 2.77:1. Three projectors on a
    three-section screen. Apparently according to you it should have been made
    with one camera at 1.77:1 so it would fill your screen when it came out on
    video.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Bob D.

    Richard C. Guest

    =======================
    There are/have been many different ratios: (all are :1)
    1.20, 1.33, 1.37, 1.66, 1.85, 2.0, 2.20, 2.38, 2.49 and others.
    =========================
    ====================
    Not sure what you mean by that.
    Do you consider 1.33:1 to be skinny or 2.76:1 to be skinny?
    ======================
    =============================
    Why? Diversity in aspect is a wonderful thing.
    Some of my favorites are the ones that change aspect DURING the film:
    Pillow Book, Brainstorm (which is done incorrectly on the DVD - I have the
    DPL LD), and others.
    ===============================
    =========================
    Why? What is so special about your screen that it needs filling?
    ===========================

    Richard C., Oct 1, 2004
  6. 1.85 and 2.38 to 1 are the most common for comtemporary films.

    Jiggs The Clown, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Bob D.

    Mark W Guest

    A common Aspect Ratio is 'widescreen'. Another one is 'THX' or to give it
    the full name, 'THX-1138' as it was in fact invented by Steven Spielberg,
    the famous director of 'Star Wars'

    Mark W, Oct 1, 2004

  8. You must work for the Bush administration.

    Jiggs The Clown, Oct 1, 2004
  9. Bob D.

    Richard C. Guest

    How many drugs do you do?

    THX has nothing to do with aspect ratios.

    Richard C., Oct 1, 2004
  10. Bob D.

    luminos Guest

    Ummmmm...Steven Spielberg, huh? LOL

    luminos, Oct 2, 2004
  11. Bob D.

    Bob D. Guest

    Well, I guess back bars are here to stay. It looks like 16x9 (1.85:1) is the
    new standard for HDTV hardware. Perhaps that's a good compromise.

    Widescreen is great, but you must admit you're throwing a lot of screen away
    with the upper ratios on a standard 4x3 TV.

    Bob D.

    Bob D., Oct 2, 2004
  12. Bob D.

    Biz Guest

    No Bob, you're throwing away alot of movie by watching the fullscreen or P&S
    version. If you dont want bars, buy a projector and a screen.....

    Biz, Oct 2, 2004
  13. Bob D.

    luminos Guest

    Of course, the projector screen will not be filled either. Call them white
    bars (if viewed in standard light).

    luminos, Oct 2, 2004
  14. Bob D.

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    It will be if you use variable masking to adjust for the aspect ratio of
    each movie.

    Joshua Zyber, Oct 2, 2004
  15. Bob D.

    Steve K. Guest

    Steve K., Oct 2, 2004
  16. Bob D.

    jayembee Guest

    I'd rather throw 40% of the screen away than 40% of the
    picture. It's the picture I'm watching, not the screen.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 2, 2004
  17. Bob D.

    Richard C. Guest