    Haven't really looked to see what out there in the digital lineup in a
    couple years now, last time i did the old 6 megapixals were the upper
    end.

    Forte Agent, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Forte Agent

    Al Monte Guest

    Perhaps you could start by doing some research on your own.

    Al Monte, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Forte Agent

    tomm42 Guest

    Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony (in alphabetical order) all make good DSLRs.
    Which ever feels better to you is the one you should get. At the
    current state of affairs most people won't see a difference between 6mp
    and 10mp. Buying the newest model will prevent you from having mp envy.
    Be sure to get a long lens.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 16, 2006
  4. Forte Agent

    Bill Funk Guest

    There is no "best".
    There is only "best for you."

    Bill Funk, Oct 16, 2006
  5. Forte Agent

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    Start here:

    www.dpreview.com

    And then buy a Canon 5D with a 24-105 f4 L zoom.

    Kinon O'cann, Oct 16, 2006
  6. Forte Agent

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Oct 16, 2006
  7. Forte Agent

    Bill Funk Guest

    No, that's the best compromise.
    :)

    Bill Funk, Oct 17, 2006
  8. Forte Agent

    Forte Agent Guest

    Thats the intent in the end, but the reason for the post is to hear
    stories from those out there, who've been using the various cameras.
    Specs are great, but they often fail to omit thier pitfalls & negative
    features. So been casting a line & hearing some 1st hand experiances &
    recommendations, one can make a better search with specific targets in
    mind.

    One can only assume you must be a juvinal net user (one who's only
    been out here a few years, vs those of us out here who been on 20+
    years). The purpose of the newsgroups has always been to seek advice
    from thos who know.

    Forte Agent, Oct 17, 2006
  9. Forte Agent

    Bill Funk Guest

    If you've really been around Usenet as long as you claim, then you
    kjow the question you asked can't be answered.
    If your intent is to do your own investigating, but wanted to hear
    from us what our experiences are, then you need to give us the same
    criteria you would use in your own investigations.
    What type of camera are you looking for? What type of photography do
    you want to do? What's your budget?
    otherwise, a recomendation of, say, a new HAssy and a, S3IS are both
    well within your request boundaries, but each might be completely
    unsatisfactory for what you want.
    So, instead of telling us how knowledgable you are, show it and ask
    the right question.
    Help us help you.

    Bill Funk, Oct 17, 2006
  10. Forte Agent

    Frank ess Guest

    I know a number of 20-year-plus Net users who have had the same year's
    experience 20 times.

    What Bill suggests is true: anyone who voices a need must meet the
    need-fulfillers (at least) halfway. Technical groups are notoriously
    product-oriented: solutions are valued and processes disregarded where
    possible. Trouble is, there is _always_ process to be dealt with; my
    preference is to get enough data for a meaningful response, give it a
    shot with what I've got, and hope my offer overlaps enough with
    others' that the supplicant's needs are met.

    Of course I hesitate to put forth effort on behalf of someone who is
    not really a solution-finder, but a massager of process and a demander
    that others bear the weight of work equally easy for all.

    'Course I'm still a juvinal (sic) (hahahahaha) at this getting along
    with even those who offend or disappoint me business.

    Frank ess, Oct 17, 2006
  11. Forte Agent

    Forte Agent Guest

    OK, I reckon I should have been a little more specific.

    1st: Here's my sitution, it's a little strange to start with. In the
    early 1950's my father started a photo business geared primarily to
    shooting weddings on location, vs, in studio. In it's heyday in the
    70's he had an 11 man crew, 3 of which worked fulltime here. After
    collage & a short stint selling cars, one of his fulltime employees
    moved out of state & I came to work for him in 79. Not really wanting
    to do what he did & being facinated with video tech, I started my own
    video side business in 84. I continued to work in the studio gratis in
    exchange for running my business out of the same space. My photo
    tasks were primary assembly, office sales, the bookwork & any
    retouching needed as I was the best at this. He died in 88, his last
    full time employee & the photo manager retired in 99. I've continued
    to run the photo side for my mother who has alzhiemers now. Myself
    despite growing up arround this have probably shot less than 20
    weddings, with the still cameras the last in 99 & only 2 of them since
    1984.

    I was left with 7 Mayaya 645s, 9 metz flash units & 3 free lace
    photographers who I use to shoot the photos. My video business has
    been the dominate business for the last few years, about 25-30 events
    a year. But by itself, thanks to a poor market location, is not strong
    enough to stand alone. Thus the 15 or so still weddings I do, allow me
    to survive. I do all the photo fx needed.

    Alas the years are taking a toll on the legacy equipment, I'm down to
    2 Mamiyas with no problems & 4 Metz's

    So I need to look into something to serve as a decent backup, to
    assist the current equipment. I have no clue whats out there, what
    accesories one needs (lenses, memory, etc), if my Metz's will work
    as flash units for any of the digital cameras out there. I like to
    stay under 2k for everything needed.

    Ask me about video, about computers, about digital fx, photo
    restoration I can be of help. As far as still cameras go I'm not even
    in the loop. All I know for sure is, I'm in my mid 50's now & don't
    want to start a new career at walmart or the corner gas station
    because I ran out of working cameras.

    Forte Agent, Oct 18, 2006
  12. Forte Agent

    Frank ess Guest

    If I were going to start in digital for weddings, I think I'd go for
    mid-to-high-end Nikon stuff. Their flash system is better, I think,
    even according to many Canon exponents.

    There are several on these forums who do wedding work and will be able
    to advise generally and specifically what you should look for; I'd
    reckon "under 2k" is not realistic for a main toolset, but as a backup
    you may be able to do it.

    Frank ess, Oct 18, 2006
  13. Forte Agent

    Bill Funk Guest

    Thanks!
    Unfortunately, I know nothing about wedding photography.
    However, I do think that $2K isn't going to get you much.
    dpreview.com is a good place to start looking.
    Stick around here for a while, and get involved in threads that are
    about wedding photography. I think you'll find that, no matter what
    brand you decide on (I'd recommend either Canon or Nikon), that $2K
    figure won't get much more than one (mediocre) DSLR and a lens or two.
    Good Luck!

    Bill Funk, Oct 18, 2006
  14. Forte Agent

    Stewy Guest