What are people doing about ALL these problems?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jul 1, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    For most of us, requesting help in this NG has become a type of lifeline
    not found in any of the Microsoft websites; so we have to rely on the
    collective experience of people who have found the solution to that
    inexplicable little bugger crashing our computers.

    Windows, IE, and Outlook - for all their consumer popularity, and years of
    development, remain the source of everyone's frustrations.

    Slowly-but-surely, people are waking up:

    Governments worldwide, meanwhile, are falling hard for Linux. Munich,
    Germany and Bergen, Norway, recently announced huge Windows and Unix
    migrations to Linux.
    http://tinyurl.com/2wl2m

    TechNews, Jul 1, 2004

  2. TechNews

    Unknown Guest

    Roughly 60,000,000 PC's in the US and you are saying 'everyone is frustrated'?
    Get real and unemotional. State facts not garbage.

    Unknown, Jul 1, 2004

  3. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    It is implied that 'everyone' means 'everyone with windows' problems';
    that's the context of this NG. Unless of a masoquist nature, persons
    posting their problems here could not be non-frustrated.

    Furthermore, the article I posted shows an objective and unemotional bit on
    current events.

    Are people finally fed up with overpriced, unreliable, and insecure
    software? Yep.

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  4. TechNews

    why? Guest

    So not only are you continuing to post news for some strange reason, you
    are now trying to define the context of the newsgroup. See all the 'non
    windows' related posts.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 2, 2004
  5. No, that is not implied. That's something you are inferring; i.e.,
    that's something you've decided to make up on your own.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 2, 2004
  6. TechNews

    Paul - xxx Guest

    TechNews typed:
    You wouldn't know what 'this newsgroup' is about if it hit you with a two by
    four ... but I sincerely wish someone would try, just to see if it helped
    you.
    Couldn't that be said for the exuberant expansion of the number of Linux
    based helpdesks springing up as newcomers to Linux, and possibly computing
    in general, also get problems.

    Your blinkered and evangelical viewpoint suggests, to me, that you have a
    vested interest .. somewhere along the line .. ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jul 2, 2004
  7. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Your emotional response isn't helping your point.
    Can you provide the basis of your assumption that there are growing numbers
    of Linux based helpdesks?
    I do not have a commercial interest in promoting OSS, as you seem to imply.
    However, over 10 years of fixing MS software problems have made me bias to
    alternatives.

    If you were to take an informal count of the types of problems found in
    this NG... How many would you say are based on:

    Hardware?
    Software?
    Users?

    And of the problems based on software, how many are attributed to a poorly
    designed operating system/browser/PIM?

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  8. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Users posting in this NG are self-evident.

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  9. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    "News" in a "News Group" should not surprise you. Nothing strange about it:

    The 24hoursupport.helpdesk is a newsgroup that, intentionally or otherwise,
    was set up as a forum to provide support and act as a helpdesk to users
    seeking resolution to their (mostly windows) problems.

    Why should it be contrary to this NG to post news and current events
    related to windows and alternatives?

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  10. TechNews

    why? Guest

    ^^^^^^^^^^^ prove it (mostly windows) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    You are still doing it. There is nothing about a topic in the group
    name.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 2, 2004
  11. TechNews

    JayCee Guest

    And your repeated blathering about how much Windows sucks, while it's
    evidently putting food on your table (see below) doesn't help yours.
    Seems to be keeping you in business, so why complain? Kinda like biting the
    hand that feeds you, no?
    LOTS! -- The problem(s) with any OS is almost always directly user-related.
    MOST people use Windows, therefore most problems you see here will be
    Windows-related. You wanna prove something else is better? Show me some
    unbiased statistics as they relate to user-satisfaction/OS
    I dunno. How about you tell us?

    JayCee, Jul 2, 2004
  12. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Why would you make such an assumption? I do not make a living with windows.
    And even if I did, I would still point out what a poorly made OS it is,
    compared with Mac or Linux.
    Again, making assumptions. Windows is not my business.
    Very little
    Most post
    Sure! Check this out:

    http://srom.zgp.org/
    O.K.
    Most of the problems that one reads about in this NG are directly related
    to the fact that MS sells, or shoves down vendor's throats, poorly designed
    operating systems/browser/PIM.

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  13. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Quite right, there is nothing related to windows as a topic in the group
    name. But the rest holds true:

    The 24hour*support*.*helpdesk* is a newsgroup that, intentionally or
    otherwise, was set up as a forum to provide *support* and act as a
    *helpdesk* to users seeking a resolution to their problems.

    Now, let's add this: Closer inspeciton of the group headers will lead one
    to the conclution that most messages uploaded to the news server relate to
    MS software problems. Here, I don't have to *prove* what is obvious to
    anyone browsing the headers.

    TechNews, Jul 2, 2004
  14. TechNews

    Paul - xxx Guest

    TechNews typed:
    And your repeated 'shoving down peoples throats' which you later berate MS
    for, is helping who, exactly ?
    I did this about a year ago as I _am_ interested in Linux, entered "linux"
    in the newsgroups list (MS Outlook Express) and used page down to quickly
    count each page of ten groups, numbers may be out, but the relationship is
    valid. A year ago there were 1000 Linux groups, right now there are about
    3300 .. 10 page downs against 33 ... All may not be helpdesks, some may be
    erroneous, but there is still a three-fold increase in a year.
    Dunno, I never looked that closely.

    All I'm saying is that you banging the drum about Linux and slamming a
    company you don't like isn't doing anyone any good, in fact I'd guess you're
    pissing people off from moving to 'other' OS's purely because you're so
    evangelical. I also don't believe you're doing this in the best interests
    of either a 'helpdesk' or of those people you're trying to change. I think
    you're just trolling and making a fuss, just 'cos you're a twat.

    nuff said.

    Paul - xxx, Jul 3, 2004
  15. TechNews

    Scraggy Guest

    And your repeated 'shoving down peoples throats' which you later
    All in favour say "Aye"

    Aye FFS :)

    Scraggy, Jul 3, 2004