    revealed what unit that is. Since many of you live in the UK, I am asking
    on this "Help" NG.

    TIA

    Bill Schowengerdt, Oct 4, 2003

  2. Bill Schowengerdt

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt said:
    The council are those who are in charge of the town hall and rob you blind with
    local taxes.
    Council tax (renamed from poll tax, renamed from something else to make it sound
    like something kinder) is what you pay for being allowed to continue breathing
    after the age of 18.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003

  3. Bill Schowengerdt

    °Mike° Guest

    A "Council" is the seat of 'local' government, as distinct from
    central (Whitehall) government. They levy 'Council taxes'
    to finance local issues; housing, environment, education,
    etc.

    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Bill Schowengerdt

    Emrys Davies Guest

    It is a Council Tax Bill based on the value of your home, which is
    placed in a Property Band.

    For instance in 2003 a married couple who live in Solihull in the West
    Midlands, whose home is in Property Band D, would have to pay £996.98.

    Like everything in life there are exceptions.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Bill Schowengerdt

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt
    continued:
    It's yet another way for beaurocracy to peel another layer of my skin
    away.
    Well it feels that way, my wallet is very tender ;-)

    slumpy, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Bill Schowengerdt

    Gordon Guest

    Try living in Wolverhampton, or any metropolitan borough councils. £1100 per
    year, just for the pleasure
    G.

    Gordon, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Bill Schowengerdt

    Brian H¹© Guest

    And they reckon prostitution is a crime.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003
  8. Bill Schowengerdt

    Emrys Davies Guest

    Yes, but you have got faggots, mushy peas and Banks's bitter!!

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Oct 4, 2003
  9. Bill Schowengerdt

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Er.. before people get the wrong end of the stick, faggots are meatballs.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 5, 2003
  10. Ummm... "wrong end of the stick"? Poor choice of words, in this case, I
    would think :p

    Sentient Fluid, Oct 5, 2003
  11. Perhaps they mistook you for an onion...?

    Sentient Fluid, Oct 5, 2003
  12. Bill Schowengerdt

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹©, Oct 5, 2003
  13. Quite cheap then, here in Hampshire I pay £1600/year
    for not a lot
    ..jrm

    [email protected], Oct 5, 2003
  14. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Brian H¹© <> typed
    || Bill Schowengerdt said:
    ||| Hi,
    ||| I heard Tony Blair referring to high Council taxes. It is clear to
    ||| me
    ||| that the Council is some unit of government, but I my searching has
    ||| not revealed what unit that is. Since many of you live in the UK, I
    ||| am asking
    ||| on this "Help" NG.
    ||| TIA
    || The council are those who are in charge of the town hall and rob you
    || blind with local taxes.
    || Council tax (renamed from poll tax, renamed from something else to
    || make it sound like something kinder) is what you pay for being
    || allowed to continue breathing after the age of 18.

    Helpful again, as usual

    Robert de Brus, Oct 5, 2003
  15. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Brian H¹© <> typed
    || Gordon said:
    ||| Try living in Wolverhampton, or any metropolitan borough councils.
    ||| £1100 per year, just for the pleasure
    ||| G.
    || And they reckon prostitution is a crime.

    Huh? Who's soliciting?

    You're not making sense, as usual.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 5, 2003
  16. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Brian H¹© <> typed
    || Emrys Davies said:
    ||| Yes, but you have got faggots, mushy peas and Banks's bitter!!
    || Er.. before people get the wrong end of the stick, faggots are
    || meatballs.

    Actually faggots are bundles of sticks

    Robert de Brus, Oct 5, 2003
  17. Bill Schowengerdt

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Robert de Brus said:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Absolutely, did you have anything helpful to say to the OP, or are you just out
    trolling while the babysitter is drunk unconscious in the living room?

    Brian H¹©, Oct 5, 2003
  18. Rent Value > Rateable Value > Poll Tax > Council Tax
    in that order, over the past 70 yrs or more
    Ripped off from the time you wake up 'til the time
    you go to bed

    T B_Liar (alias Blair)

    This is Rip Off UK, Oct 5, 2003
  19. Isn't England the place where they have a tax on every window in your
    house?

    Pauline Johnson, Oct 5, 2003
  20. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Brian H¹© <> typed
    || Robert de Brus said:
    ||| In ||| Brian H¹© <> typed
    || ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    || ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ TRUTH ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ||| Helpful again, as usual
    || Absolutely, did you have anything helpful to say to the OP, or are
    || you just out trolling while the babysitter is drunk unconscious in
    || the living room?

    Well, bwian, I don't live in the UK, so I can't comment on the OP's
    question.

    However, I do suggest that there is no truth to:

    "... is what you pay for being allowed to continue breathing after the age
    of 18."

    So you weren't actually telling the truth at all, were you.

    Robert de Brus, Oct 5, 2003