Westerners and Easterners see the world differently (New Scientist)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. Westerners and Easterners see the world differently
    22:00 22 August 2005
    NewScientist.com news service
    Zeeya Merali

    Chinese and American people see the world differently –
    literally. While Americans focus on the central objects of
    photographs, Chinese individuals pay more attention to the image
    as a whole, according to psychologists at the University of
    Michigan, in Ann Arbor, US.

    Full story at http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7882

    Similar article at
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/science/AP-Different-Views.html
    , but requires free registration.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Hans-Georg Michna

    DHB Guest

    Certainly there are cultural differences between various
    groups of people in general & yes, “Understanding that there is a real
    difference in the way people think should form the basis of respect.”.

    The operative word here is "should", however too often it's
    our differences that many use as a basis for miss-understanding,
    distrust or even discrimination.

    I have respect for other ethnic, cultural heritage & beliefs
    but here in the US I always fill out the US census information about
    ethnicity by checking "other" & righting-in "human" as to "race".

    Like any information, it can be used & or miss-used, so I
    provide accurate information but no more than needed in this area were
    it "might" be miss-used.

    Having said that, this is why extended oversea's travel or
    visits to other counties can be so beneficial. The cultural "norms"
    are often different & taking the time to understand them better in
    context can help one's overall "understanding" & is the beginning of
    both wisdom & tolerance.

    Relative to photography, I am certain their are some major
    differences between cultures & ethnic groups in of what & how they
    compose a picture. Most Americans in general traveling overseas tend
    to focus on landmark objects/subjects to see & photograph & relatively
    few talk much with the native people & take their picture in context
    to their culture/environment. The landmarks do tell you something
    about the people but not nearly as much as the people themselves can
    if one has the time to talk to them. Speaking "their" language often
    helps too.

    Even browsing pbase.com by country, one can see some basic
    compositional differences. Please understand that I am not putting
    anybody or group down, just noting that we all tend to "see" &
    "understand" the world a bit differently & this understanding
    certainly effects how & where we aim or cameras.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Aug 29, 2005