    5 that came back on me, I didn't even bother to return to Western Digital.
    What's the point?

    I'll never buy another Western Digital product......PERIOD!

    DH, Mar 6, 2004

  2. DH

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Might be power supply problems or lack of ventilation causing the drives to overheat.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Mar 6, 2004

  3. DH

    Norm Guest

    My $.02.

    I purchased a brand new WD 20G drive on Ebay.
    When I called WD with a technical problem they refused to help since the
    "date code" on the drive was over a year old.
    I said the drive is brand new, they said take it back to the store for a
    refund. Yeah right, back to Ebay.

    I'm not a big fan of WD either.

    Norm

    Norm, Mar 6, 2004
  4. DH

    M Guest

    Why do you think that Western Digital was ever the Gold standard? Amstrad
    alleged that Western Digital sold it 70,000 defective hard discs in 1991.
    Although Amstrad lost the case (see
    http://www.irell.com/about/pressroom_061200.html and scroll down) it still
    doesn't reflect that well on Western Digital unless of course you have
    absolute confidence in the legal system. which I don't!
    I have three IBM/Hitachi Deskstars, they are very quiet and have never
    caused any problems. A relative has a Western Digital pre-installed by the
    OEM and it sounds like a train! In fairness the drive hasn't caused any
    other problems.

    M, Mar 6, 2004
  5. DH

    doS Guest

    doS, Mar 6, 2004
  6. Seems some people think 'common' is the same as all of these:

    'best made'
    'most popular'
    'ideal'
    'best choice'
    'best value'
    'wisest buy'
    'only good choice'

    mixedmessages, Mar 6, 2004
  7. I'll never buy another MAXTOR! Have had better than 50% failure rate in
    last

    5 years. I just started using WD, Two bad already! AM very afraid of
    SEGATE

    because they run so damn Hot and Noisy! We all know the IBM disaster story.

    What would you suggest? I seriously don't know where to turn.

    Rich S. Bryn Mawr,
    Pa.

    GRAHAM BARNES, Mar 6, 2004
  8. Alexander Rogge, Mar 7, 2004