Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by messenjah, May 19, 2005.

  1. They seem to be making aluminum disks to be used in hard drives.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 24, 2005

  2. The Deskstar 75GXP and 60GXP were disasters, but (AFAIK) the recent
    models haven't had unusually high failure rates.

    Neill Massello, May 27, 2005

  3. messenjah

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    Enemy of anything inside PC box is heat. I have an early Deskstar(40GB)
    running in it's 6th year. Occasionally there comes bad batch. WD drives
    are OK drives. Better than Maxtor, IMO.
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, May 27, 2005
  4. messenjah

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Some people seem to still make bad experiences with them. Personally
    I will stay away from IBM/Hitachi until I see a belivable explanation
    from them what went wrong and why the problem is gine now.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 27, 2005
  5. messenjah

    kashe Guest

    Until intelligence is considered a weapon.

    kashe, May 28, 2005
  6. messenjah

    Zed Pobre Guest

    What problems have you had with Hitachi drives?

    Zed Pobre, May 30, 2005
  7. messenjah

    rbaker3 Guest

    Seagate has been good for me for the $

    rbaker3, May 30, 2005
  8. messenjah

    Arno Wagner Guest

    I used 3 "deathstars", two in my computer at home and one in
    my computer at work. All died with massive amounts of unreadable
    sectors. I never had any other disk failure at home and only the
    normal rate (maybe a bit higher than that) at work with other brands.
    But IBM/Hitachi "Deathstars" gave me 3 our of 3 failed.

    In addition I know of several more that died in the same fashion.

    Since you ask about Hitachi drives, I don't know what they had before
    they bought IBMs HDD division. If they had anything before I don't
    know anything about the quality of that. I also did not buy any
    IBM/Hitachi drives after the "deathstar" desaster, since that cost
    me enough nerves. And judh=ging form the commenst of some people
    here that are in teh data recovery business, Hitachi is still
    at the low end of the reliability spectrum. No surprise they
    try to compete on speed.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 31, 2005
  9. I've had a few Deskstar 75GXP and 120GXP drives die. The 75GXP drives
    suffered from progressive failure, except for one that had a bad IDE
    interface from the factory. A 120GXP warranty replacement died
    completely when my mouse fell off my desk, swung on its cord, and hit my
    computer. It's not even worth another warranty replacement. Rebuilding
    a system sucks.

    My photos are currently on a pair of Western Digital drives that have
    been working very well. They weren't bothered a bit by the mouse
    incident.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 31, 2005
  10. Being struck by a mouse should be well within the shock tolerance of a
    hard drive.
    My photos are on two raid-1 arrays in different countries, and on my
    laptop. Can't be too careful with things you can't recreate.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 31, 2005
  11. messenjah

    pjp Guest

    I've had nothing but good performance and durability out of all the Western
    Digital HD's I use (few < 5, 8, 15, 40 and 80 gigs on multiple pc's). A
    couple of the smaller ones are >= 10 years, 8 gig is >= 6, 15 = 5, all at
    24/7 uptime (pc's on 24/7) and other than the odd reformat for OS upgrades,
    primary/slave reasons etc., they've never even "hiccupped". Same period and
    have had both Maxtor and Hitachi's fail.

    pjp, Jun 1, 2005
  12. messenjah

    mno2go Guest

    I'm the same as pjp, I've not had any problems with WD drives, either.
    Their Raptor drive also works very well for me.

    mno2go, Jun 1, 2005
  13. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    I believe the enemy is heat. Those who have good luck with HDs manage
    to keep theirs cool.

    I asked WD tech support what they considered the safe operating
    temperature for their drives and they replied that 15 - 55C. I have a
    temp probe (SMART) on my WD SEs and they run no hotter than 40C when I
    defrag them.

    My case has places for 4 fans in the front and 2 of them are directly
    in front of the internal 3.5" bays. That way you can blow air from an
    80mm fan right over the disks.

    I also have a Kingwin KF-23 removable bay with 3 fans - 1 in the bay
    and 2 in the drawer. With the tray in the bay 24x7 the hottest I have
    seen the disk get is around 40C. Uusally it rides around 37C when
    Windows is idling.

    I also have the Enermax 352 RAID/Backup unit with its 60mm fan. The
    drives in there run about the same as in the other locations.

    There is no excuse for frying a HD anymore.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank an American soldier.

    Bob, Jun 1, 2005
  14. messenjah

    Timbertea Guest

    The 75GXP series IBM drives used a glass platter instead of the
    traditional aluminum with coating, they tried a new material, and over
    time it developed stress fractures that were simply not apparent in
    early testing. It also had some radical head designs, and there was a
    slightly higher rate of failure due to this, a trade off for increased
    speed. Rather an issue an immediate recall as many of them would make
    it past their "useful" life (translation: warranty period), IBM chose to
    do nothing, and it created a PR disaster for them. On top of that, when
    you sent one in, you didn't always get one of the same size back, and
    sometimes you got another 75GXP which had the same potential as the one
    you sent in. Eventually they did issue a recall, but not soon enough to
    make anyone happy. The 75GXPs came in a lot of different sizes, and was
    a very popular drive in the corporate setting for desktops.

    The technology in them was only used on that particular drive model and
    is not used in any of the Hitachis period, never was, that problem was
    well before IBM sold the division to Hitachi. You wont get this type of
    failure, they don't use the same technology and materials now.

    ----

    The whole reason they tried the glass platters in the first place was to
    fix a problem with distortion of shape in aluminum platters. If you
    have an electric mixer at home, put some pancake batter in it and spin
    it quickly in either direction by hand without the beaters in it. Notice
    what happens? The batter that was level gets pushed to the sides of the
    container, and the center is now lower than the sides as the material
    has been pushed to the edges. The same thing happens on a smaller scale
    to aluminum when its spinning at a much faster speed, it literally
    becomes out of shape in places and it wasn't a problem you could just
    add more mass to the platter to fix - more mass just meant it happened
    even faster and was a lot more energy to spin up - less mass was more
    desireable, but that warped quickly at higher speeds and made the
    coatings they were using less reliable. At the time all makers were
    having problems with this distortion (and they still are). Glass seemed
    like a good idea at the time, it didn't compress like the aluminum did,
    so they figured it wouldn't spread out, and in their testing it didn't.
    But what they didn't figure on was that the forces were enough over time
    to make some areas of it brittle, the same centrifigal force was still
    in play, but the energy didn't have a handy outlet as it was working
    against the bonds in the glass constantly. Accelerated wear teting
    failed to catch it, and the rest is history.

    It seemed like the perfect material, easy to work with, able to make it
    thinner, no compression, no expansion, desirable thermal properties,
    ability to bake magnetic coatings into the glass for cheaper manufacture.

    IBM isn't alone in having a line of drives that went bad before their
    time. I can remember multiple Seagates that were exceptionally
    craptastic in the 80's and 90's (and did even less than IBM to resolve
    the problem I might add, worse at a time when HD's cost far more than
    they do today). Maxtor had it's high failure period. Western Digital had
    a couple bad models as well.

    Timbertea, Jun 1, 2005
  15. messenjah

    kony Guest

    Nonsense. Drives kept far cooler than your removable bays
    can manage and ran from very high-end power still fail.
    Heat or power "can" easily damage drives but are most
    definitely not the only causes.

    In that regard, WD drives are a little worse than many as
    their flipped-circuit-board design protects parts from
    physical installation (scraping) damage better but also
    reduce the airflow further to the PCB mounted parts.
    Regardless, they do usually stay cool enough with moderate
    airflow.

    kony, Jun 1, 2005
  16. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Doesnt explain why the drive gone bad could
    normally be returned from the dead using the diag.

    Only to fail again later, and usually again being revivable using the diag.

    It also had some radical head designs, and there was a

    Rod Speed, Jun 1, 2005
  17. Could you get this thing back on topic????

    I'm not seeing anything here about hampsters, duct tape, beer, overweight
    dancers or poodles!

    C'mon, folks, get with it!

    --
    kai - - www.perfectreign.com

    kai:/> format a:
    Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is screwed.
    To format a floppy, use "fdformat /dev/fd0"
    and then "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0".

    Perfect Reign, Jun 1, 2005
  18. messenjah

    Beef Guest

    Oops! Are they really all that bad?

    My hdc is a Fuji 6.4GB (MPF3102AT, from around 2002, I think).

    I had a few intermittent problems with mine not being seen at boot time, a
    couple of years ago. I put it down to a feeble PSU and maybe flaky
    mainboard (BP6). It's ben faultless since I changed for a higher-rated PSU
    and an Asus A7N8X-E.

    Who? Not seen them yet...

    Beef

    Beef, Jun 1, 2005