    gig.

    But what do you think of other modern brands, like Tulin, Priam,
    Microscience, and Rodime?

    rantonrave, May 21, 2005

  2. messenjah

    Peter Guest

    Peter, May 21, 2005

  3. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    Is a hard vacuum completely devoid of O2? I didn't think it was possible
    to evacuate all the O2.

    Another reason for the high pressure gas is to prevent filament erosion.
    My 1000 watt RMS Crown bass amp has a soft start. It's just a relay and a
    big sandstone resistor.
    Yup.

    Meat Plow, May 21, 2005
  4. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    Print it out so you can jack off while you read it.

    Meat Plow, May 21, 2005
  5. messenjah

    Impmon Guest

    It is possible, just a matter of applying the technology correctly.

    Impmon, May 21, 2005
  6. One way is to suck out as much as possible, and then introduce a small
    amount of a highly reactive solid that will take care of the remaining
    gas. Cesium can be used for such purposes.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 21, 2005
  7. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    And you want us to take you seriously with a name like Bullwinkle. J.
    Moose?

    What's the J stand for? Or shoud I ask?

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank an American soldier.

    Bob, May 21, 2005
  8. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    You haven't been in Texas swamps. We even have Sidehill Gougers.

    Bob, May 21, 2005
  9. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    It's called a "getter". That's how they create an O2-free environment
    inside a light bulb.

    Bob, May 21, 2005
  10. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, they fill it with an inert gas instead.

    Rod Speed, May 22, 2005
  11. messenjah

    rantonrave Guest

    rantonrave, May 22, 2005
  12. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    They do both.

    The getter is used to get the last remnants of O2 out. It's cheaper
    than trying to purify the inert gas excessively.

    Bob, May 22, 2005
  13. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, not with normal incandescent bulbs.
    Utterly mangled all over again.

    Rod Speed, May 22, 2005
  14. messenjah

    rantonrave Guest

    rantonrave, May 23, 2005
  15. messenjah

    CBFalconer Guest

    A getter is used in vacuum tubes (valves in right-pondia). After
    pumping out and sealing there is a residue of atmosphere remaining,
    consisting largely of nitrogen and oxygen. By heating the getter
    those gases will form inert compounds which are deposited on the
    inside of the glass, improving the vacuum and leaving the silvery
    coating on the glass in the general area of the getter. A good
    vacuum is essential to tube functionality.

    --
    Some informative links:
    http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/

    CBFalconer, May 23, 2005
  16. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Don't know enough about them to have an opinion really. All I've ever
    had that I recall off the top of my head were Maxtor, Quantum, WD,
    and one Fuji that died very early on.

    Me, May 23, 2005
  17. messenjah

    rantonrave Guest

    Are you confusing Fuji with Fujitsu?

    rantonrave, May 23, 2005
  18. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    And other situations where a vacuum is used.

    Not with incandescent bulbs filled with an inert gas tho.

    Rod Speed, May 23, 2005
  19. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Could be. Didn't realize there was a difference until you pointed it
    out (thanks). Don't have the drive anymore so I can't look to see.

    Me, May 23, 2005
  20. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    Fuji is GE Fuji now and as far as I know they don't make hard drives. They
    might make specialty drive motors or some shit like that. However I've
    seen Fujitsu drives referenced as Fuji drives.

    Meat Plow, May 24, 2005