Western Digital hard drives are garbage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by messenjah, May 19, 2005.

  1. messenjah

    kony Guest

    In most common tasks & OS GUI, I agree. For the most
    demanding uses a power-user might subject a system too,
    often not.

    Doesn't even have to be 3 HDD, I have a box here that is
    reserved for legacy uses running Win98 & DOS, in Win98 it
    outright screams at common tasks compared to a brand new
    "average" box... but only until something is very CPU bound,
    and of course in such tasks the memory and perhaps more
    further causes a difference.

    It's all in what a person does with their system. I do agree
    that the most common uses of a PC benefit most from fast
    storage, BUT I actually have a test system I've set up Win98
    on to run from a CF card (except the swapfile- ramdrive
    based), and it isn't as fast the first time around loading
    anything but it could partially be because of the PIO mode
    the CF is using. Next time I will be sure to get both IDE
    adapter and CF card that are DMA capable.

    kony, May 20, 2005

  2. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Easy to claim. Reality with consumer products is another matter entirely.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005

  3. messenjah

    kony Guest

    What parts of a flash based solution do you consider unique
    to it that are more subject to fail than the unique parts on
    a mechanical magnetic solution? There will always be
    unforseeable failures but when the most problematic parts
    are eliminated it does tend to make for more reliable
    devices.

    I've had 3 HDDs fail in the last 18 months (out of many, the
    rate doesn't seem relatively bad), but zero flash card
    failures. One system runs from flash card, MP3 and camera
    do, and I regularly use thumbdrives, etc. I can't speak for
    everyone but do feel flash is far more reliable and all the
    industry studies seem to bear that out as well.

    kony, May 20, 2005
  4. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Completely irrelevant to the actual failure
    in the hands of consumers actually seen.
    Completely irrelevant to the actual failure
    in the hands of consumers actually seen.
    The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'
    How you feel is also completely irrelevant.
    Easy to claim. Reality with consumer products is another matter entirely.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  5. The same can probably be said about you.
    :)
    Yomamma bin Crawdaddin www.cotse.com
    Brotherhood (Vice Chairman)
    Anti Archangel #41 The difference between John Kerry and Ted Kennedy is
    Stalking Filth #69.5 that Ted Kennedy has at least one confirmed kill.

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 20, 2005
  7. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Thing is, filaments can't "suck oxygen". There isn't any in the
    envelope. It's either a vacuum or a specific gas at a specific
    pressure (halogen, xenon, etc...)

    Me, May 20, 2005
  8. Give him a break,
    He plonked me before he even got to know me....
    I would imagine the only vacuum he is familiar with is
    what is between his ears.
    :)

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 20, 2005
  9. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    That's right. Nobody is ever going to disarm Texans.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    If you can read this, thank a teacher.
    If you are reading it in English, thank an American soldier.

    Bob, May 20, 2005
  10. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Nor Georgians.

    Me, May 20, 2005
  11. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    I couldn't sleep at night if the equipment I'm in charge of didn't have
    failover storage. The only one not in that catagory is my Novell 3.12
    print server. But I have another drive mirrored and ready to plop in when
    the old 1.6 gig WD finally bites the dust if it ever does.

    Meat Plow, May 20, 2005
  12. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    I don't think you can suck all the oxygen out of the capsule. One
    of the reasons that inert gasses under pressure must be used when the
    filament is so hot. And most light bulb failure is due to current
    inrush when first switched on causing the filament to twitch then
    fracture at it's weakest point. There are lots of high dollar, high
    current pro audio power amps that have a soft start circuit that allows
    the devices to power up slowly. This adds life to the circuitry. And many
    electronic devices are rated or spec'd by on-off cycles. Mil-spec devices
    have the highest ratings for said cycles.

    Meat Plow, May 20, 2005
  13. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    I know a Georgian living here in Houston. He has more guns than most
    Texans.

    I figure when Texas secedes, Georgia will immediately follow - if they
    don't beat us to it.

    Bob, May 20, 2005
  14. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Are they not pulling a hard vacuum on standard incandescent bulbs? I
    have to wonder why not if they aren't. I don't know why they couldn't
    if they actually tried... they get the O2 low enough that it's
    irrelevant in other forms of evacuated devices (x-ray tubes for
    example... they HAVE to be a hard vacuum or they'll arc).

    Very true, but if they're pulling a hard vacuum on them the reason
    that there *is* a thin point is metal evaporation, not oxidation. At
    least that's certainly the case with medical x-ray tubes.

    Oh sure... I just bought 2 1500/3000 watt power inverters last week
    with soft start. Certainly a good idea.
    Yep. :)

    Me, May 20, 2005
  15. messenjah

    Me Guest

    If I had to move, Texas is the only other state I'd really want to
    live in.

    Me, May 20, 2005
  16. messenjah

    David Guest

    wrote:
    <snip>

    One explanation
    Hmmm just how could this be. Light bulbs are filled with inert gases. So
    please explain how it gets this oxygen inside the INERT gas filled bulb?
    Unless there has been physical damage to the glass bulb this can not happen

    David, May 20, 2005
  17. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  18. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'
    Just another pathetic little drug crazed fantasy.

    Taint gunna happen, you watch.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  19. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, havent done for a long time now with normal bulbs.
    Inert gas is better, reduces the rate of evaporation of the filament.

    Thats the primary failure mode with incandescent bulbs.
    They can, but its not as good an approach as inert
    gas and is harder to do too, for no useful purpose.
    Correct, but an inert gas is better if it will work with that filling.

    And halogens deliberately use a non inert gas which
    redeposits the evaporated metal back on the filament.
    That approach has its own disadvantages tho, the
    bulb needs to run MUCH hotter to get that effect.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  20. messenjah

    Solbarth Guest

    you honestly think that he could figure out HOW to plonk you? damn, when
    did you become so trusting.

    Solbarth, May 20, 2005