    Anti Archangel #41 The difference between John Kerry and Ted Kennedy is
    Stalking Filth #69.5 that Ted Kennedy has at least one confirmed kill.
    --

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 19, 2005

  2. I don't know what OS you are running but couldn't you set up an ASR
    disk with the system state data saved also? If you do that you'd have
    every thing backed up including your configuration data.
    I think.......
    Oooops......
    I'm sorry....
    I'm not supposed to post on topic shit....
    Damn these fukkin certs !!!!!!!!!!
    9 damn years in here and I am becoming a fukkin geek!!!!!!
    9 damn years being a simple crustacean ......
    You see what you have done to me?
    Damn you people , damn you people all to hell!!!!!!!
    :-(
    Yomamma bin Crawdaddin www.cotse.com
    Brotherhood (Vice Chairman)

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 19, 2005

  3. messenjah

    Baho Utot Guest

    In your dreams

    Baho Utot, May 19, 2005
  4. messenjah

    LQQK Guest

    In your dreams also regarding gun confiscation.

    LQQK, May 19, 2005
  5. messenjah

    Impmon Guest

    Unless the drive was shipped in only anti static bag, the box it comes
    in should protect from shipping and handling between the factories and
    the store shelves.
    Me too. Memory cards (CF and SD for example) are available in up to
    1GB range and I know larger cards are available somewhere. But right
    now it's far too expensive, small, and slow to handle today's
    workload. Try a 200GB video editing on the multiple RAID-0 combined
    cards (probably $1,500 total), the write delay alone would cause the
    user to grow white hair before it gets done revising just one frame.

    Impmon, May 19, 2005
  6. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, some fool can drop it when packing and unpacking.
    And its far from clear if those actually fail at a lower rate too.

    Rod Speed, May 19, 2005
  7. Maybe because the run so hot, and they didn't want anyone to find out.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 19, 2005
  8. messenjah

    birdman Guest

    May you never hear the click or hard drive death, regardless of brand,
    The only guarantee is that you will not have backed up your data and will
    misinterpret what happened as motherboard/power supply/whatever failure
    instead of what it actually represents.

    birdman, May 20, 2005
  9. messenjah

    Me Guest

    LOL. So true.

    Me, May 20, 2005
  10. messenjah

    CBFalconer Guest

    Bye now. PLONK

    CBFalconer, May 20, 2005
  11. messenjah

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    HD seek times are the biggest bottleneck in most computing. Most people
    don't seem to realize that a 1 GHz celeron computer with three separate
    hard disks, properly load-balanced, will outperform a 4GHz CPU system
    with a single drive in most typical applications. Solid state storage
    with fast random access times will kill much of the drag.

    JPS, May 20, 2005
  12. messenjah

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    People who think that real issues are about liberals vs conservatives,
    or visa versa, full of anecdotes about how stupid the other side is are
    generally morons who cling to polarity in a state of mental insecurity.

    JPS, May 20, 2005
  13. messenjah

    JPS Guest

    In message <4U2je.9007$>,
    Same with incandescent light bulbs. If they run too long, they have a
    high risk of burning after a cooldown and power return. One explanation
    is that they suck in oxygen for the first time during cooldown.

    JPS, May 20, 2005
  14. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Where ya goin'? :)

    Me, May 20, 2005
  15. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    He's getting pissed on lots of plonk, silly.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  16. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mindless crap.

    What actually happens is that you inevitably get some bleed
    of the filament metal and the thin part is what fails at turnon
    due to the higher current due to the cold filament.

    Rod Speed, May 20, 2005
  17. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Yep. The filament actually slowly vaporizes from the heat and
    eventually the thin spot fails on powerup. You run into the same
    problem with x-ray tubes. The filaments rarely actually get the chance
    to fail in them before they become useless though. The vaporized metal
    from the filament contaminates the vacuum to the point that the tube
    usually starts arcing on high kV shots long before the filament
    actually fails.

    Me, May 20, 2005
  18. messenjah

    kony Guest

    It is Samsung, IIRC, already with a drive in the works that
    has a very large (static? flash?) cache such that the drive
    spins down and only occasionally spins up to dump the
    solid-state contents to the magnetic platters. Supposedly
    Microsoft is now optimizing Windows to better optimize it
    for this type of storage, but mostly want to leave the
    details up to the individual drive manufacturers (which
    makes sense, but may also simply be a way of passing the
    buck so to speak).

    http://www.electronicsweekly.com/ar...liArticleTypeID=1&liChannelID=108&src=rssfeed

    kony, May 20, 2005
  19. messenjah

    kony Guest

    A nice theory, but inevitably high shock that doesn't
    immediately damage a drive might still be a contributory
    factor towards early demise. It is a cost-constrained
    packaging meant for typical shipping stress.

    Dell et al have 4GB CF for under $240 if you can hunt down
    promo codes and rebate deals, here's an example but one has
    to find their own Dell/etc discounts to apply,
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0448320

    Problem is, too many CF are still PIO acess only and they
    chould consider setting these up as arrays for greater
    throughput, probably would when it came time to expect their
    use as a HDD rather than removable storage for portable
    devices.

    kony, May 20, 2005
  20. messenjah

    kony Guest

    I would tend to disagree, it seems quite clear that with
    proper care (relevant to both types of storage), that memory
    cards are far more reliable and long-lived... within their
    limits of write cycles of course.

    kony, May 20, 2005