    factory line and arrived in your hands.

    I think we'll all be happier campers when solid-state
    eventually replaces the mechanical HDD.

    kony, May 19, 2005

  2. messenjah

    kony Guest

    Maybe, but it's also one of the better free-n-easy ways to
    get a video card to run cooler. Personally I don't run any
    boxes that don't have a front fan even if it's running so
    slow it only serves to ensure enough airflow past the
    drives.

    kony, May 19, 2005

  3. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    I've got an old Caviar drive in a Novell server that's 1.6 gigabytes and
    has got to be 8 years old and has been turning nonstop for that same time
    period. I've seen plenty of Seagate drives self destruct. Same goes for
    Maxtor although not that frequent. If you were a smart man Chuck, you'd
    set yourself up with a couple WD 160 SATA drives and a RAID 1 controller.
    That way you have a failover drive in case the main drive fails. But
    you're not smart so i guess the point is moot.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2005
  4. messenjah

    Meat Plow Guest

    We're putting WD SATA drives in all our new rack mount dual Xeon rack
    mount servers. Drives fail no matter what brand. Smart people buy a RAID
    controller and set up a mirror. Cuck isn't too swift though so that's why
    he's moaning.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2005
  5. messenjah

    ThePsyko Guest

    Chuck abuses his drives almost as bad as he abuses the auditory senses of
    those listening to his drunken ramblings he calls poetry.

    ThePsyko, May 19, 2005
  6. Probably real. Most hard drives have had temperature sensors for a few
    years. Any software that can access the SMART features of the drive can
    show you its temperature.

    John-Paul Stewart, May 19, 2005
  7. messenjah

    Me Guest

    Yeah, I really need to set up RAIDs in these servers. Right now I've
    got each server backing up it's important data files on other servers
    hard drives via LAN. If one dies I won't lose the data, but I'll have
    to set everything back up and reconfigure it all which is a PITA.

    Me, May 19, 2005
  8. messenjah

    Trick Dickle Guest

    alt.hackers.malicious closed for repairs?

    Trick Dickle, May 19, 2005
  9. messenjah

    Jason Bowen Guest

    I stopped buying them in the mid 90s because I had 3 out of 5 fail
    within a year of being bought. I've stuck with Seagate and Maxtor since
    and haven't had a failure.

    Jason Bowen, May 19, 2005
  10. messenjah

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have had one HD failure in 10 years. It was left on 24/7 for a couple
    of years, then turned off when I left town for a few days. Wouldn't
    spin up when I returned. A friend (IBM CE) told me that sometimes that
    happens on drives that are run for a long time, then turned off and
    allowed to cool. Since, I have left the computers on even when gone on
    vacation (I have UPS on both), and have had no trouble with the 3 drives
    attached to my desktop computers.

    Ron Hunter, May 19, 2005
  11. messenjah

    ThePsyko Guest

    Nah, just got bored slapping you and your ilk around.

    ThePsyko, May 19, 2005
  12. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    Yep, there it is in Everest report of SMART.

    Too bad Motherboard Monitor (MBM 5) can't detect it. Or can it?

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    A liberal is a person who is so open minded
    that their brains have fallen out.

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  13. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    I can beat that too. I just put to rest a 500 MHz K6-II system I built
    in August 1999. One of the drives was in there for 2 year and then I
    upgraded to one that was in there for 4 years.

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  14. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    Any guesses when that might happen?

    I am not a disk bloater - I can run just fine with 10 GB max, as long
    as I keep archive disks using a removable bay. That's how I put older
    disks to work.

    So, when can I get a 10 GB solid state storage device for $50?

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  15. My firewall is a 233 MHz Alpha machine with a 500M Quantum Fireball
    SCSI disk dating from the mid-90s. It's been doing 24/7 all along,
    and no sign of error yet.

    =?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 19, 2005
  16. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Its real, its what the SMART reports and that is done by WD.

    Rod Speed, May 19, 2005
  17. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    It can. Just a bit fiddly to setup with MBM. You have
    to enable the reporting of the hard drive temp and
    restart MBM before its available for selection.

    Rod Speed, May 19, 2005
  18. I have 2 120GB WD Caviar drives, seemingly identical but one reports
    temperature through the SMART page in Everest but the other (older) one does
    not.

    Bill Harrison

    Bill Harrison, May 19, 2005
  19. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mindless stuff.

    Rod Speed, May 19, 2005
  20. messenjah

    Rod Speed Guest

    WD was VERY late including the temperature in their SMART.

    You likely got those drives at about the time they
    eventually did that and one was before they did.

    Rod Speed, May 19, 2005