    messenjah Guest

    I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
    complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate.

    messenjah, May 19, 2005

  2. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    You need to quit abusing them.

    --

    Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html

    A liberal is a person who is so open minded
    that their brains have fallen out.

    Bob, May 19, 2005

  3. Maxtor isn't bad and WDs are fine. But Seagate is pure crap.

    Randall Ainsworth, May 19, 2005
  4. messenjah

    Impmon Guest

    Unfortunately mileages do vary a lot among users. Unless there's a
    known issue with a certain models, usually the hard drives do well. A
    failure is either caused by a defect or by improper cooling or voltage
    or from static electricity. Voltage we can handle, we just need to
    get good power supply and we can avoid static discharge with proper
    handling. Cooling is maintained with proper ventilation and fans.
    Defective drives usually go bad before the warranty expires.

    I haven't had any WD go bad since the old 200 MB started doing a bad
    opera show and I have 4 of them right now. I have had a bad luck with
    Maxtor before with 3 of them going bad before warranty expired. Never
    had other brand going bad before (IBM, Seagate, Quantum, Connor,
    Micropolis, etc and I know some are no longer around)

    Impmon, May 19, 2005
  5. messenjah

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I have to say, I've heard for years that "WD" is the best, and that
    Maxtor is crap, but I have used Maxtors to WDs in a ratio of about 2:1,
    and I have seen 2 WDs fail, and no Maxtors.

    JPS, May 19, 2005
  6. Damn! You mean the Caviar I've had in my machine for the past two years is
    gonna go bad in less than a year???

    I need Superman to fly really fast backwards so we can go back in time and
    I'll take the drive out and replace it with a Barracuda or something prior
    to the time it should've gone bad.

    Perfect Reign, May 19, 2005
  7. messenjah

    Me Guest

    I've run nothing but WD Special Edition 8meg cache drives since they
    came out. I've had at least 8 of them spinning 24/7 for well over a
    year (probably 2) and have yet to see even one of them so much as
    hiccup. What on earth are you doing to those things?

    Clues:
    1.Don't wad cables up and shove them over the drives. That acts as
    insulation and causes them to overheat which KILLS them.
    2. Most cases have a place for a case fan that blows through the drive
    bays FOR A REASON. Run a case fan blowing over those drives to cool
    them.

    Me, May 19, 2005
  8. last month I had a Seagate 120gig SATA fail and two weeks later a
    Seagate 80gig IDE fail. Both were on a plastic rack with a fan blowing
    over them. The other Seagate 80 & Maxtor 40 gigs are still up and
    running in the same frame. Surge supressor in DB board, powerstrip is
    also surge suppressed and PC power is supplied by a Landman 1250A UPS.
    I've replace the 2 failed drives with 120gig SATA IBM Deskstars ( one
    was under guarantee )

    Was working as usual and for no reason at all I was unable to access the
    drives. No bumps, jolts etc. ...... just sitting here quietly doing my
    CAD drawings and saving as I go along and suddenly the drives no longer
    show up. Machines also run 24/7 unless we're away for the weekend.

    Strangely, the Maxtor is the smallest and oldest HDD and still going
    strong. One 120 gig is my work drive and the remainder are backup units.

    Any comments on the IBM Deskstars ?? So I know what to expect ;-)

    Bernard

    Bernard Rother, May 19, 2005
  9. messenjah

    Old Bugger Guest

    I have 6 WD drives 2x80 2x120 and 2x200 gig) here up to 3 years old. All are working just fine. So is my
    200 gig Seagate and even my 6 year old 20 gig Quantum is fine.

    Come to think of it, I have only had 1 drive fail over the past 10 years. It was a Fujitsu 40 gig unit. In
    that time I have owned somewhere around 25 hard drives.

    Old Bugger, May 19, 2005
  10. I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are
    Six is a lot, but anecdotes as a rule are useless. For an attempt at a
    rational view of the subject, see the Reliability Survey at
    http://www.storagereview.com/.

    Andrew Schulman, May 19, 2005
  11. I've had a Seagate External removable SCSI for ten years.
    Have had t WD's go bad this year alone.
    I'd have to disagree with you.
    It also could be that WD changed a manufacturing process
    and are having some problems.
    I know plenty of people who are having problems this year
    with WD drives.
    :)
    Yomamma bin Crawdaddin www.cotse.com
    Brotherhood (Vice Chairman)
    Anti Archangel #41 The difference between John Kerry and Ted Kennedy is
    Stalking Filth #69.5 that Ted Kennedy has at least one confirmed kill.

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 19, 2005
  12. Another thing is that a lot of people do not replace the blanks over
    the card busses when they remove cards. This has a profound effect on
    air movement through the case, thus contributing to overheating.
    :)

    Yomamma Bin Crawdaddin, May 19, 2005
  13. messenjah

    FrozenNorth Guest

    Hey, you, get back off topic.
    ;-)

    FrozenNorth, May 19, 2005
  14. messenjah

    Me Guest

    The last drive I replaced was a failed Deskstar. Perhaps a fluke as
    I've seen few of them working or failed.

    Me, May 19, 2005
  15. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    Speaking of cooling, Everest gives a Sensor report on the temperature
    of my WD HD.

    Is that real or bogus?

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  16. messenjah

    Me Guest

    I've very rarely seen a drive of my own fail myself.
    Oh, and God couldn't keep a Fuji drive up and running for long. From
    what I've read in the reviews Fuji drives are the worst on the market,
    bar none.

    Me, May 19, 2005
  17. messenjah

    Bob Guest

    I can easily beat that. I had a Caviar run 4 years 24x7 and the SMART
    table had so few errors that the drive looked like new.
    You're lucky if a Seagate even spins up. I had the 20 MB ST-120 which
    I had to literally beat on to get it to spin up. Shugart should have
    stayed bankrupt.

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  18. messenjah

    chrisv Guest

    Maxtors are worse, in my experience.

    chrisv, May 19, 2005
  19. messenjah

    Billy Guest

    I think they all have their share of bad lots.
    I was diagnosing three Gateway Profile 5 models that would not boot/kept
    auto restarting. I suspected the drives and ran the Maxtor diagnostics,
    2 reported drive failing, the third claimed repaired (twice in a row).
    Checked the other 23 and we have 8 more failures; all Maxtor 40GB
    drives.

    Billy, May 19, 2005
  20. I've got a Compaq 500MHz machine under my desk here at work that has been
    in (almost) continual operation since early '00. It's running with two WD
    1GB drives.
    Well, in all fairness, my second drive IS a Seagate. It is my dual-boot
    with SuSE 9.2 - maybe that's why it is still working. :p

    Personally, I see "white label" and I ignore.
    --
    kai - - www.perfectreign.com

    kai:/> format a:
    Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is screwed.
    To format a floppy, use "fdformat /dev/fd0"
    and then "mkfs.minix /dev/fd0".

    Perfect Reign, May 19, 2005