    there any way to know whether WEP security is adequate to
    prevent a hacker from reading and changing NTFS files?

    --David

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006

  2. J David Ellis

    Lem Guest

    See my response to your other thread -- D-Link DP-G301.

    Lem, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Can I conclude from your post in the other thread that using
    WPA instead of WEP is important and that I should not settle
    for WEP?

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006
  4. J David Ellis

    Lem Guest

    the generally-accepted wisdom is that WEP is relatively easy to crack.
    See, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/bykx8 I'm not convinced that a rural
    setting is less likely to be inhabited by computerized evildoers than an
    urban setting, but if you take other precautions, such as a good
    firewall and use of NTFS permissions, you should probably be OK with
    WEP. Use 128-bit WEP, a "good" password/passphrase (e.g., not your
    name, ssid, or English word) to generate the WEP key (if you have to
    manually enter the key--which you probably will if you mix
    vendors--don't use patterns in the sequence), and change your key
    regularly and often.

    Lem, Jan 20, 2006
  5. Thank you very much for the tutorial. The route to a secure
    wireless network is now clear -- until I begin installing
    it. :=)

    J David Ellis, Jan 20, 2006