    the 128mgb?) and, I doubt this is the place to store my pics permanently,
    anyway. OK...I'll quit rambling and wait for some helpful advice! thanks a
    bunch, Cindy :)

    Duncanlover, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Your camera probably came with a cable and some software. You hook the
    cable to the camera and your computer (through a USB port) and download
    the pictures to your computer.

    You can also buy a card reader at Best Buys and other electronic stores
    that you hook to your computer. You take the card out of the camera and
    put it in the reader. Then you use Windows Explorer (Assuming you use
    Windows) and copy the files to your hard drive.

    If you have a CD burner it's a good idea to copy those files from your
    hard drive to a CDR in case your hard drive crashes or something else
    happens. It's always a good idea to have a backup.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Duncanlover

    Savidge4 Guest

    Hello Everyone,
    Its great you are having a good time with your camera! Since you shared with
    us that you are sharing the photos on webshots its clear you already know how
    to access the images on your camera through your computer. I would suggest
    creating a folder somewhere on your hard drive and then transfering the pics on
    your card to that folder. You can then as said in a previoius post transfer the
    images to a CD for a more "permenant" storage solution. then once you know
    the pics are on your hard drive, you can format the card on your camera (this
    will delete the pics from your card) and can start all over again.

    One thing I would like to mention here. If you are getting 600 pics on a 128
    mb card you are using a real small file size. that is great for sharing photos
    on the web, but that will not be good if you ever want to print them.

    The photodeluxe software is a nice entry level imaging program. It has easy 2
    step red eye removal and allows you to resize photos amunst other things. It
    will be worth your time to play with this software.

    As time goes on, you will want more from your images (printing sharing
    manipulating etc) and you will start using imaging software more and more!

    Hope that helps! and keep up the fun!

    Savidge4, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Duncanlover

    Cyrus Chvala Guest

    I have been storing photos on my computer for about 7 years and I have
    7 gig which is over 3 thousand photos. Ihave learned a few things.
    ----------------- Don't just dump your photos into one folder. You
    will never be able to find some photo that you might be looking for.
    You need a structure for you photos. The structure like the best is
    using time. Like: make a folder called 2003. Inside that make a
    folder called July. Now put all the photos that you take in July in
    that folder. Now if there is some special event like a party and you
    make a folder in the month folder named for the party like [Labor
    Day]. If you are transfering the photo from the camera to the
    computer you have to put them somewhere so you might as well make a
    few folder before you move the photos.
    P.S. There are a lot of photo organizing programs out there. I use
    ACDSee and it has a nifty calander part that lets you look at all of
    the photos on the computer based on when they were taken. Digital
    Cameras record the time the picture was taken and saves it with the
    file. Even if you edit the photo or rename it there is still
    information inside the file that remembers when the origanal was
    taken.

    Cyrus Chvala, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Duncanlover

    Lucas Tam Guest

    CD-RW, DVD-RW, or a big hard disk.

    Lucas Tam, Jul 25, 2003
  6. Duncanlover

    Todd Walker Guest

    You need to get out and take some pictures Cyrus. ;-) I have had digital
    cameras for 3 1/2 years now and I have about 70 archive CDs -- that's
    45.5 gigs. Of course, a fraction of those are actually keepers but CDRs
    are so cheap, rather than weeding out the losers, I just archive them
    all...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Jul 25, 2003
  7. Duncanlover

    Cyrus Chvala Guest

    I wasn't trying to compete with you. Obviously your hard drive is
    bigger than mine. My point is that you need to structure the data. By
    the way, in 10 years when you have 600 gig of crap and maybe 100 good
    photos you will never find them.

    Cyrus Chvala, Jul 25, 2003
  8. Duncanlover

    Todd Walker Guest

    My post was made tongue in cheek, hence the smiley after the first
    sentence. I have no problem finding my pictures since I have them
    cataloged with Thumbs+. A great program BTW...

    --

    Todd Walker, Jul 25, 2003
  9. Duncanlover

    Patrick L. Guest

    Get a CD burner and store them on CDs. That is what I do.

    Patrick.

    Patrick L., Jul 26, 2003