Well done Jessops

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Piemanlager, May 4, 2005.

  1. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    Well, after just 5 months ownership and somewhere between 5-6000 shots I
    have killed my first Digital SLR, Rip Minolta 7d! There were 4500 shots on
    the counter but for the first few weeks of ownership i did not have it on
    continuous so I am estimating 5-600 shots went through my first 7d body. The
    body worked fine in a wedding I did on Saturday but when I went to use it on
    Sunday, all I got was a kind of "werererrring" noise. My best guess is it
    was something to do with the autofocus motor trying to engage, however all I
    had was this noise for about 6-8 seconds then off. No display, no nothing.
    Tried everything, but the camera was knackered.
    Giving I am a pro and was about to start work, this was a strange gutting
    feeling, I felt as If my arm had been cut off and I could not get myself to
    However, there is something of a totally unexpected happy ending. My wife
    popped the body back to Jessops with he receipt and they exchanged it. I
    really was expecting them to send it off to Minolta and the have to fight
    Minolta UK for the repairs to be done, as I had to with my Dynax 9 a few
    years back.

    So, One 7d is gone and another has to have the firmware update done as the
    replacement came with V1.0e and somewhat laughable went into instant
    over-exposure with the 5600 had!

    Piemanlager, May 4, 2005

  2. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    Dont want to be one of the Sheep!!!!

    Piemanlager, May 4, 2005

  3. Piemanlager

    Russell Guest

    Oh, come on! That was way too nice and polite.

    How can I argue with that?!?

    Russell, May 4, 2005
  4. Piemanlager

    Hannah Guest

    A pro are you? And using a 7d?
    How very brave of you.

    Afraid I wouldn't trust my livelihood to anything less than my Canons.

    Maybe you're just semi pro.
    H.

    Hannah, May 4, 2005
  5. Piemanlager

    Roy Guest

    Hi

    The real Professional bit in Hannah's post is not "Canon" it is the "s" on
    the end. Even a Semi Pro should have more than one Camera when going out to
    work.

    Roy G

    Roy, May 5, 2005
  6. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    brave no, I just like to be different from all the white Sheep, think of me
    as Black!

    I know many fellow off road motorcycle pros with failed cannons, and of
    course Nikons! There is not a camera out there that can stand up to a dust
    storm on its own.

    I might have given the game away by saying so if there was a need, you pass
    a silly comment.
    I had two back up film camera bodies.

    Piemanlager, May 5, 2005
  7. Piemanlager

    Hannah Guest

    No probs with being different. Pity you don't do justice to your so-called
    professionalism by using a proper camera.
    What has motorcycle professionalism got to do with professional photography
    or very large guns?
    Surely you can't be a full time fully pro photographer with just one
    consumer body?

    As Roy so very correctly says.

    Hannah.

    Hannah, May 5, 2005
  8. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    Enough of you Troll.

    Piemanlager, May 6, 2005
  9. Piemanlager

    Hannah Guest

    You don't understand what trolling is, evidently.

    Equally, you have no clue about professional photography, with your single
    low cost body.
    5-6000 photographs in 5 months hmm? You're a busy pro there, much in demand
    it seems.

    Wow, I bet you earn a fortune at your craft.
    H.

    Hannah, May 6, 2005
  10. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    troll again why dont you

    Piemanlager, May 6, 2005
  11. Piemanlager

    ASAAR Guest

    On of several my Nikon F bodies lasted for less than 5000 pictures
    before its shutter self destructed, and it was over a year old and
    well cared for when it happened. Do you think that 5000 pictures is
    the typical life of Minota 7d's, or might it simply be an outlier?
    Your insults aren't exactly nasty. "Bitchy" describes them better.

    Was this said because you're a Canon snob, or perhaps because
    something happened and home and you're no longer "damn well getting
    the respect you deserve"? Are the two backup bodies somehow not
    relegated to "consumer" status because they're film? Or maybe they
    don't count at all, whether pro level or consumer because they're
    not digital?

    Now, now. Something's got your ire up, and it may not even be
    that you're simply a Canon snob. Perhaps you're contemptuous of
    photographers that sully themselves by doing weddings, eh? Don't
    drop another expensive lens too soon. That wouldn't be the hallmark
    of a good professional photographer that's in it for the money.

    ASAAR, May 6, 2005
  12. Piemanlager

    Zenophobe Guest

    Interesting post. Great of Jessops to quickly exchange your broken
    camera for a new one. Your wife must have charmed them silly.

    I was checking out Jessops web site on a wild hair. Is your camera
    the Dynax 7D (Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D) with the built-in anti-shake?
    I was curious how this feature compares to Canon lenses with built-in
    image stabilization. With the Canon IS, two saved f stops are
    typically mentioned, but at dpreview.com they state three f stops are
    gained by the anti-shake on the 7D. Do you find similar findings with
    your experience? I suppose the anti-shake can be disabled via menu?
    Well, just color me curious. It looks like a very nice camera.

    That camera has a 2.5" LCD? I think I'd like that on my EOS 20D.

    Zenophobe, May 8, 2005
  13. Piemanlager

    Piemanlager Guest

    I guess she did, she even told them I was a professional wedding
    photographer which is the exact reason I did not want to take it back
    myself. I thaught as soon as they see its me, they would say proffessional
    use not covered under warrenty or some crap like that!
    I have never used cannons system, but the minolta system definatley works
    for hand held shooting. I have used it down to 1/15 sec with no problems.
    However, as the camera is tripod mounted most of the time, or being used for
    sports shots, the Anti shake feature is off most of the time via the on/off
    button whic is on the bac of the body. Minolts say that the AS feature does
    not work so wel with moving subjects (sports) and that when mounted on a
    tripod again the feature should be turned off!
    the LCD is superb, I would hate to have to use a smaller one.

    Simon

    Piemanlager, May 9, 2005