  1. Bobs

    Bret Guest

    Wow an original post from Lennier, all his own work too.

    Bret, Jan 27, 2005

  2. if it works, I dont care.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 27, 2005

  3. not very imaginative though.
    I've seen better spam.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 27, 2005
  4. Bobs

    Bret Guest

    Yes :)

    Bret, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Bobs

    Adder Guest

    the 90% who are not geeks will not care what gui they have

    i have had a couple of Pcs running Linux, but it was just too hard to
    admin and I didnt see what waa ll the rage about being able to choose
    from different guis

    Adder, Jan 27, 2005
  6. Bobs

    froggy Guest

    Only geeks should be allowed on computers ( there should be a law
    against non-geeks on computers )

    I just updated the KDE on my slackware machine..
    but I'm told blackbox is betterer
    and gnome was okish
    but.. to be honest.. as long as me porn runs clear as a bell.....

    froggy, Jan 27, 2005
  7. Bobs

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Bobs

    Tarla Guest

    It's the effort that counts.
    --
    Tarla
    ****

    my son, Eric.

    Tarla, Jan 28, 2005
  9. Bobs

    Axle Guest

    I can't hep you with your limited social contacts, sorry.
    Thats nice

    When will linux be good enough ?

    <guffaw>

    Pull the other one, its got bells on it

    Axle, Jan 28, 2005
  10. Bobs

    froggy Guest

    wouldnt weta digital be the ones to ask?
    after all.. arent their render farms running linux ( I could be wrong )
    I know they used some proprietory software from Pixar digital.. and I'm
    pretty sure Pixar is running Linux also (since 2003)

    so the answer is.... linux is _more_ than ready.. if you have the money

    froggy, Jan 28, 2005
  11. Bobs

    Axle Guest

    Thats rendering, not editing, the pixar component is renderman which is
    free, they also use Maya and Shake.
    You would probably find some macs at Pixar, the boss has connections,
    but yes they have heaps of linux, they used to employ Bruce Perens and
    they transitioned from using SGI IRIX so thats pretty natural.
    But of course linux can edit with cinelerra.
    Most production editors are skilled up on Avid DV Xpress which is
    available for Macs and Windows, and Adobe Premiere Pro which is now only
    avaiable for Windows. Final Cut Pro is the only editor exclusive to
    Apple. Sony have just released a pro version of Sonic Foundry's Vegas
    for Windows which is getting great reviews, but its interface doesn't
    suit the Avid jockeys.
    Input isn't through capture cards at all, just transferred with SDI.
    None of which has anything to do with Windows MCE which is built to use
    tuner cards like the Hauppauge range which work superbly in both Windows
    and linux.

    Axle, Jan 28, 2005