  1. Bobs

    Chris Hope Guest

    Yes, this is woger's latest incarnation.

    Chris Hope, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Bobs

    Bret Guest

    Picking on the town drunk now.
    Trying to get "in" with the "cool kids" on the block dude.

    Bret, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Bobs

    froggy Guest

    theres cool kids on usenet????
    damn Im in the wrong place.. i was trying to meet/chat with geeks!

    froggy, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Bobs

    Bret Guest

    LOL

    Bret, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    But at what price?

    Divine

    --
    "Installing and running Unix hardly counts as one of the more difficult
    intellectual tasks. It's hard, sure, if you're used to something different,

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    Speaking of "geeks" Bill Gates was on BBC World tonight raving on about
    his vision for the future.

    I really cannot see what Micro$oft Windows has to do with working a
    VCR or telephone.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  7. Bobs

    JohnO Guest

    Why not? (Assuming by VCR you really mean PVR as opposed to something with a
    tape in it!) There's been Windoze PVR and Telephony software out there for
    ages. The popularity of both is skyrocketing - just look at Skype for an
    example. Same story is also true for Linux.

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2005
  8. dunno, doesnt matter, that wasn't being discussed, only that they were
    availible, do you try to change the goal posts in every post you make?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Bobs

    Axle Guest

    You are a blind fool then.

    Axle, Jan 25, 2005
  10. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    Just because something is "available" doesn't mean it is sensible to buy
    it.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    I anticipate that in about a year, or maybe two, or at the absolute most
    three years, I will not need any Micro$oft software whatsoever in my home.

    And I fail to see why one needs an OS with only one GUI bolted and then
    welded to it when one can have an OS with several optional GUIs to choose
    from, or none of them.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 26, 2005
  12. again Lennier... that wasn't what was being discussed.

    You said "A LCD monitor cannot display the full range of colour. For
    that you need a CRT monitor." which is completely false.

    Brian Withers AKA Roger, said "Yes it CAN.."

    At this point you seem to have lost grasp of the conversation, and moved
    to goal posts to make sure that you were right(in some way).

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005
  13. that doesnt sound very efficient... why would someone need more than one
    GUI?
    why don't they make them all compatible so that only one is needed?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005
  14. Bobs

    axel Guest

    So what ?
    There will still be plenty of people in homes and businesses using Microsoft
    Media centres and Microsoft VOIP.
    In a year I will probably be using a Mac, a windows laptop and a debian
    server.
    I'm sick of these big beige boxes, Any desktop client should be the size of
    that Mac Mini with built in wifi

    You fail to see because you have affected an anti-Microsoft prejudice as a
    hobby.
    Its blinded you to the shortcomings of Linux
    I can't make windows look as bad as gtk applications on xandros 3, Thats
    supposed to be a desktop distro. X11 looks like its never going to catch
    up, doomed to remain an unfinished building block. I'm trying to use cut
    and paste right now in knode, not working from right click. This shit never
    happens with Windows, you can't always be blaming the hardware
    manufacturers.
    Apple have the best operating system and interface for desktops right now,
    but they still can't put out a mouse with a scroll wheel.
    A bunch of essential applications are still exclusively available on Windows
    and will be for the forseeable future.
    No one who uses these applications sees the operating system as a separate
    obstacle to their use.

    axel, Jan 26, 2005
  15. Bobs

    Adder Guest

    His name is David

    Adder, Jan 26, 2005
  16. Bobs

    Adder Guest

    this compatibility issue has been something of a linux focus at some
    levels in recent years

    this kind of statement proves that linux is an OS for geeks
    yet they depend on the mass consumer market for sales

    Adder, Jan 26, 2005
  17. I know... I just don't like to associate him with me... most Dave/ids
    are fine, some "let the side down".

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 26, 2005
  18. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    Choice, Swddi. Choice.

    Do you want a choice, or no choice?

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 27, 2005
  19. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    Well, for those who have huge pots of dosh to burn and nothing else to do
    with it, then they can waste their money on a 30 inch LCD monitor that
    may or may not be as reliable or as useful as a CRT monitor.

    Until then the realistic, affordable, reliable options for serious A/V
    editing work remain only CRT monitors with known useful
    colour/refresh/resolution characteristics.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 27, 2005
  20. Bobs

    Guest Guest