    But then you have a BenQ 19" LCD monitor that is 250 brightness, 400:1
    contrast, 16ms going for $1500. And it doesn't even appear to have a
    zero bright pixel warrenty. So why does this cost more?

    Bobs, Jan 23, 2005

  2. Don't ask why things cost more or less than other things--the fact that
    such price differences exist is the reason why you should shop around
    before buying. Once you find a good one that fits your needs at a
    reasonable price, go for it.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2005

  3. Bobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Very true.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 23, 2005
  4. Bobs

    dersu Guest

    Have you asked if you can "audition" a screen you like the look of at home
    on your system?

    Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on specs. I would go for one I liked
    the look of in the shop and which fitted the price bracket I was prepared to
    pay. Bearing in mind that whichever screen you buy will likely be obsolete
    in a couple of years an you will be wanting something more up to date. It is
    not, after all, like buying hifi speakers which can be a lifetime
    investment.

    D.

    dersu, Jan 23, 2005
  5. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    If you're looking for a new monitor you should ask yourself what you
    intend to do with it. If you intend to do graphical work, audio work or
    anything which requires good response times, good resolutions or acurate
    colour, then you want a CRT and not a LCD monitor.

    If you're only wanting it to surf the WWW or to type a letter, then a LCD
    display will suit your purposes.

    Personally, I think that LCD technology is not yet good enough.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 23, 2005
  6. Bobs

    Tim Guest

    The excellent site Tom's Hardware Guide has a pretty comprehensive
    analysis of the latest 19" LCD's for gaming, including a lot of
    quantitative measurements of colour rendering accuracy, etc

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050110/index.html

    Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Bobs

    anon k Guest

    Just out of curiosity... what aspects of audio work need swift video
    response? You mean stuff like instantaneous spectral analysis?

    I find LCD monitors much better for graphics work but I suppose that it
    depends a bit on what kinds of graphics you're working with. My images
    are all static (maps and diagrams) and a flat image is very important.
    Not having the whining or humming CRT is a bonus too, if your ears are
    sensitive to it.

    anon k, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    A LCD monitor cannot display the full range of colour. For that you need a
    CRT monitor.

    You cannot expect to work on a LCD monitor and have your colours turn out
    as you want them to be.

    Divine

    --
    "Installing and running Unix hardly counts as one of the more difficult
    intellectual tasks. It's hard, sure, if you're used to something different,

    Guest, Jan 24, 2005
  9. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    A CRT monitor is capable of higher screen resolutions than a LCD monitor.
    You can simply fit more stuff onto a CRT monitor at the same time.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 24, 2005
  10. Bobs

    Axle Guest

    I'd rather have a 30 inch 2560 x 1600 Apple Cinema Display to work on
    than any CRT.

    http://www.apple.com/displays/#

    Axle, Jan 24, 2005
  11. Bobs

    John B Guest

    divine>
    Crap.

    John B, Jan 24, 2005
  12. Bobs

    anon k Guest

    Actually, no monitor is capable of displaying every colour, and neither
    can any printing process. That's why we switch calibration standards to
    match the project, and colour-correct at each of capture, editing, and
    output.

    The only advantage that's apparent to me was mentioned in another post,
    that LCD monitors aren't very big. But no monitor is as big as a
    graphics tablet anyway. I suppose that what you get depends a bit on
    whether you have the desk space for the long, long CRT tube needed for a
    flat, low-distortion screen. Given that limitation, my own preference
    is to have two LCD monitors side by side, one for the workpiece, one for
    the controls, data and programming.

    If you are outfitting a large studio with lots of monitors, LCDs also
    contribute much, much less to the air-conditioning load.

    anon k, Jan 24, 2005
  13. thats because they are bigger silly :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 24, 2005
  14. Yes it CAN..

    Utter Bollocks Sony has a 26" TV that has more colours tthan a CRT..

    Brian Withers, Jan 24, 2005
  15. Bobs

    AD. Guest

    Wow, you mean it has red, green AND blue? Amazing!

    :)

    AD., Jan 25, 2005
  16. Bobs

    JohnO Guest

    You know it's gonna be a laugh when Woger and Divine start arguing 'facts'
    :-D

    JohnO, Jan 25, 2005
  17. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    LOL - yeah well... size is everything. ;o)

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  18. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    I've shoved my flat-screen 19" trinitron monitor onto the corner of the
    desk, with it's bum hanging off the edge.

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  19. Bobs

    Guest Guest

    Is..
    that..
    you,..
    Woger?..

    Divine

    Guest, Jan 25, 2005
  20. it is him, and he is right, you can get them.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 25, 2005