Well A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you ALL

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 31, 2004.

  1. From All your Posts it is..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Dec 31, 2004

  2. Aspiringpsychopath

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    LOL, the first post I read in the New Year, and I find my self agreeing
    with you.

    Good one, and Happy New Year to you Roger

    Chris Mayhew, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    Because at quarter past midnight on new years eve your personal desktop
    computer was running a $1M/hr eCommerce site? Or perhaps performing a
    central role in tsunami relief?

    And this is the same computer that has all quality components - no
    Crap(tm)? All good Intel stuff and none of the AMD toss? Maintained by
    your good self, I take it?

    Aha.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 1, 2005

  6. Yes but you forgot to mention Crap software and Drivers..

    I was using a Beta 3D Driver and my CPU is New, so far have replaced the
    Video driver to see how that goes and praying that the CPU is not the problem.

    Computer before has been stable for some months..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005

  7. Yes but you forgot to mention Crap software and Drivers..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005
  8. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    I've heard legends of CPU's that have tiny cracks in such that they only
    open up when it gets hot. Have you tried running Prime 95 or some
    similar CPU only torture test on it for a few hours?
    Yeah, quite. Be a real shit to get another one. "Please replace my CPU,
    Windows keeps crashing". Hmmmm.

    Did you change the FSB for the new processor? Changed memory speeds?
    Perhaps the RAM is having a sense of humour failure - more than one stick?

    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 1, 2005

  10. No, no change at all, stock speeds and running 2 x 512 Dual Channel.

    I need a CPU test program that runs from a boot disk, does Prime 95 do that..?

    No drivers to get in the way etc..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005

  11. No, no change at all, stock speeds and running 2 x 512 Dual Channel.

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005

  12. No, no change at all, stock speeds and running 2 x 512 Dual Channel.

    I need a CPU test program that runs from a boot disk, does Prime 95 do that..?

    No drivers to get in the way etc..

    CPU is not getting to hot from what I can see with the reporting software that
    I have tried, but a crack or bonding can happen at any temp..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005
  14. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    Not as far as I know - you could attempt to find some old school
    mandelbrot code (google for fractint) then put it on a freedos disk I
    suppose. But Prime95 doesn't excercise the drivers at all - it just
    wedges numbers through the processor.

    Are you getting bluescreens? Does it say which module it crashed in?

    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 1, 2005

  16. Black Screen, HD Led hard on, had to crash out..

    Last night I ended up stuffing up some files on my XP CD due to crashing out,
    even the Volume label was damaged..?

    Fixed those with a DOS boot Floppy and Scandisk, gee lots of errors bad Fat
    tables etc, ended up with 86 extra Directories an a stack of recovered files.

    I then did a XP repair, that was a quick one that only lasted a few Mins, the
    PC then booted OK, if it still happens I will do a Clean Install of XP.

    The after looking at the Extra Directories/File deleted the lot.

    Room was a bit hot 27c from memory, but the CPU was not showing hot, it even
    locked up again today when I was out and the room was a lot cooler, same
    symptoms as before, but no file damage this time..

    I have now replaced the Video driver to a Nvidia WHQL one.

    5v & 12V PSU lines have been tested with a DVM., have not checked the 3v,
    but Fanspeed list it as OK.

    I did find a old Y2000 Quicktech diagnostic DOS program that has a CPU burn
    in test, I might leave it running tonight, but it might not stress the CPU..

    I Used a SMART program and Fanspeed, they do not show any real HD problems.

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005
  18. Aspiringpsychopath

    David Preece Guest

    Holy shit.
    Not wishing to crow but you simply wouldn't get this with NTFS. It's
    designed, from the ground up, to have the power pulled on it. Where
    power pulled means "instructions just stop arriving at the disk",
    regardles of whether or not it was caused by a pulled power cable or the
    CPU losing the plot suddenly.
    That shouldn't have been a problem, even for a Prescott. Using the stock
    cooler? Besides, the BIOS will shut the machine down in a (semi)
    controlled fashion if it gets too hot.
    Good idea, although I'd be surprised if it was even possible for a
    driver to completely blackscreen something - and even more surprised if
    it was an nVidia driver that did it.

    The next most obvious thing to do is roll back to the old processor, I
    suspect you have a duff one. If you do rebuild XP think seriously about
    using NTFS, it *is* a lot safer.

    Dave

    David Preece, Jan 1, 2005

  20. Well sold the old CPU to a friend, Use FAT due to it being a Dual boot system
    with Win98se

    Ran the FULL version of HOT CPU last night for some hours Diagnostic mode, no
    problems cpu got to 56c.

    CPU is a new Boxed Northwood 3.2g, preferred this due to the heat problems
    in the room and the problem with Prescott, like more heat and more power with
    very little improvements.

    Yes stock Fan/Heatsink, idle temp around 36c-40c..

    I was getting a lot of no responding things days before this all happend and
    found 2 viruses but I don't think they were working..

    CPU Temp was OK at that time..

    Aspiringpsychopath, Jan 1, 2005