Weird text substitution

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Beaver, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver Guest

    In the calendar section of my personal organizer program (Sidekick), a weird
    thing has started happening whenever I type something into the calendar.
    Whatever the first letter I type, the following text appears: $ÿýrp . The
    text types correctly for all subsequent letters. If I delete the "$ÿýrp"
    and retype the letter, "$ÿýrp" appears again in its spot. But if I put the
    cursor on the SECOND letter of the word and backspace over "$ÿýrp," and then
    type in the correct first letter of the sentence, the correct letter
    appears.

    Thus if I typed the following in my calendar: Lunch with Bob

    here's what would appear: $ÿýrpunch with Bob.

    The only way to correct it is to put the cursor on the "u" and backspace
    over the weird stuff and then type "L."

    Any idea what this is? I can't reinstall the program as it was downloaded
    and the company is defunct.

    Jim Beaver

    Jim Beaver, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Jim Beaver

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jim Beaver said:
    If you e-mail me with a real e-mail address I will send you a copy of Sidekick 2
    which I got free with PCAdvisor magazine, the zip file is only 1.2MB.

    brian (at) absey-vine.co.uk

    Brian H¹©, Feb 12, 2004

  3. We may be the last two guys in the known universe to use Sidekick, Jim. :)

    Okay, I don't actually *use* it, anymore, but I do still have some data
    there that I haven't migrated elsewere. (I was still using it as late
    as...lemme see...2000, and maybe a bit in 2001 just to finish out one
    series of things that I'd had going in one of the calendars.)

    I think it's still around, Jim. GoogleGroup alt.comp.freeware for keyword
    sidekick. I'm no longer there, but I only left a few months ago. Every time
    someone came up with a need, someone found a copy. As for defunct, I think
    someone bought Starfish; but I think they made at least one pretty late release
    of it officially freeware (as versus just abandonware).

    Lemme know what you find.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Jim Beaver

    DC Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    [...]
    It's here, guys.

    http://siderealb0x.250free.com/

    DC, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Tnx, DC. I'll stick a link on blinkynet, this time.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Jim Beaver

    DC Guest

    You betcha. }:O)