Weird problem CPU 100%

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Tony

Tony Guest

A customer brought in her PC the other day and she told me it was making a noise like it was going
    to blast off. I started XP and it seemed fine til I went on Internet Explorer. Her home page
    (Yahoo.com) was fine but then she told me to try to go to ebay.com. I did try and I heard the cpu
    fan getting louder and louder. I checked the task manager and iexplore was pinned at 100%. I killed
    that process and tried to run AIM and that was using 100%. All resident programs are not affected.
    All programs that deal with using the internet are.

I ran a Winsock reset utility but it had no effect. I ran spybot, adaware (all with the latest
    updates), trend micro online scan, and they found things and removed them but the problem persists.

In Safe Mode, all is fine. I went back into Normal mode, ran msconfig and removed everything out of
    the startup list that should not be there. Problem is still there. I ran HiJackThis and removed all
    offensive files and problem is still there. I am about to wipe it all. I am 2-3 hours into this and
    I am stumped for the first time regarding this type of problem.

Anyone have any ideas before I wipe it clean???

Tony

Tony, Sep 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Tony

Tony Guest

Nevermind. Problem solved after tons of searching. I uninstalled Norton Antivirus 2002 and
    everything was great. I re-installed 2003 and it is all fine now.

Tony

Tony, Sep 13, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question