    Fills in Guestbook or
    Fills in Mailform.

    Thanks.

    Wee Jimmy, Jan 20, 2005

  2. I think you are asking if a website can get your IP address when you visit
    it. YES! This information is kept in a log. I am speaking on behalf of
    apache. Using apache I can also log what files you view. Your IP, etc...

    -- Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Wee Jimmy

    IPGrunt Guest

    All of the above.

    When you "visit" a website, your computer sets up a 2-way connection between
    itself and the server. To do this, it must have your IP address. HTTP
    protocol works on requests and responses. Your address is sent with every
    request to the server (for a page). The server's IP is returned with each
    response (that contains the page material you requested).

    -- ipgrunt

    IPGrunt, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Wee Jimmy

    Moe Trin Guest

    Did you connect to the site? Did you get a web page displayed? Guess
    how that was done.

    You made a connection to the site. Connections are two-way
    You requested a web page
    They sent it to...

    You can use a proxy, or anonymizer to hide your IP from the site. That
    way, the site only knows the address of the proxy/anonymizer. Of course,
    the proxy/anonymizer site knows your address, which is how you got to see
    the web page anyway. Every computer/router/what-ever between you and the
    website can see your address, and the address of the site you connected to.
    Whether they give a flying f*ck about that is another question.
    and if you're using that as your web tool, you've likely also given
    everyone all of the information on your computer, because it's set by
    default to 'work' without asking permissions.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Jan 20, 2005