Weblinks that kick around to somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dean McDane, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. Dean McDane

    Dean McDane Guest

    Why do certain people like newsletters take a Microsoft weblink and make it
    into their own weblink that kicks you over to the Microsoft weblink. Golly!
    Just trying to explain it seems complicated so even more curious why they
    even do that to it at all whatsoever for any reason?

    Here is an example --

    http://www.wxpnews.com/QEKD15/070626-Vista-SP1

    and it will take you to

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/uhoh_no_vista_sp1_this_year.html

    but if you click on the bottom one, it does not take you back to the top
    one.

    Why do they do it? Is it easy for anybody to do? Is there software to do it
    or is it a hidden feature in Windows? What if you do it and it takes you to
    a virus? I think my dad watches us with something secret in the computer. Is
    there any way to prove to your parents that was not what you clicked on in
    the first place? Or is there anyway to stop it?

    Does anyone work in this area or have any ideas about it? Thank you.

    Dean McDane, Jun 25, 2007

  2. Your first link (page) has nothing more than forwarding to the other
    site.
    That's because you haven't been to the top one yet. Even if you had, you
    should notice in the drop-down of your Back button that the top link is
    not shown, nor available. This is because you were redirected before any
    HTML was sent to your browser (from the top one).
    Because the author of the top page is inconsiderate?
    Yes, for anyone who composes web pages.
    Nothing to do with Windows. It is done on the web server. It will do
    exactly the same on a Linux box or a Mac. Or your phone.
    Then hopefully, your up-to-date anti-virus software will intercede, and
    hopefully, you are using a modern, secure browser that will not
    automatically download something you don't want.

    I see you are using Outlook Express. Are you also using Internet
    Explorer? See:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html
    If you are not an adult, and/or still living at home using his computer,
    he has every right to monitor your activities. Probably with a 'parental
    control' application, or even a keylogger which tracks every stroke you
    make.
    Not really.
    No, if you insecure applications.
    About the web pages? Yes, I write web sites. However, I would not do
    what the first link does, without telling my visitors "this link goes to
    a page on another web site. Click here."

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 25, 2007

  3. Dean McDane

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Speaking of phones, what do you think of that new one coming out from
    Apple - the iPhone? The ads on TV look pretty darn cool!

    WhzzKdd, Jun 25, 2007
  4. What do I think? Not much. I don't even have a *conventional* cell
    phone. :)

    That said, I can't imagine sitting and watching movies, tv, and reading
    email on such a small (expensive) device.

    But that's me...

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 25, 2007
  5. Dean McDane

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Me too - no mobile phone. But I think it's a step up from the multi-function
    phones I've seen at work. If I wanted a phone, it should do it ALL: run some
    basic apps, play MP3s, a little web surfing (online banking when I travel)
    and email. What I DON'T need would be a cheap camera in my phone.

    But like you say - it's expensive, and there's the monthly access fees for
    mobile Internet service too. So I'm holding out a little longer <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jun 26, 2007
  6. I personally would never own an iphone....if someone gave one to me id
    put it somewhere and never use it...i dont have an ipod or itunes or
    ianything.....people are taking as many things that they can come up
    with and putting them in the same little box and for what...just so
    they dont have to actually interact with society that much more...its
    sad really
    I say go read a book or something and leave your mp3/video/internet/
    camera/phone to someone else so they can have an accident at 75 miles
    an hour on the freeway not wearing seatbelts in an suv that gets 12
    mpg......

    JT

    justin.tierney, Jun 26, 2007
  7. Dean McDane

    Pennywise Guest

    I figured if I was going to carry something it might as well be
    functional; I got the Nokia 3650 (nothing special) but I've a
    calendar, all the S60 games I could ever hope to play, and a video
    camera for those times you take the kids cliff jumping and all you
    have is a phone,

    I'd love to have an Iphone, but it's out of my range at this moment.

    Pennywise, Jun 26, 2007
  8. Dean McDane

    gangle Guest

    Capitalization and punctuation, with an especially
    urgent need for apostrophes. Jesus H. Christ.

    gangle, Jun 26, 2007