    to install application files to a virtual directory on that server, so the
    users would be able to benefit from no-touch deployment.

    Could anyone clarify the recommended strategy?

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Feb 20, 2004

  2. Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

    Eric Guest

    Do you want users to actually execute your WinForms .exe from a web URL
    (which would be a Smart Client app), or do you just want to put an
    installation file on the network (an .msi)?

    Either way, a Web Setup project in NOT what you want. You are correct
    that a Web setup project is only used for deploying files to a web
    server, and it's not for use by end users. Web Setup projects are
    normally used only for ASP.NET (Web Forms) deployment, and for
    deployment of ASP.NET Web Services. Maybe you are asking how to deploy
    a web service?

    To install a Windows Forms app on an end-users computer, you want to
    create a windows Setup Project.

    Eric

    Eric, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Eric,

    Your comments just reinforce my own thoughts. But, to quote MSDN:

    -------------------------------
    "Deployment of a Web Setup Project"

    To deploy an application for download from a Web server, you create a Web
    Setup project and add the project output group for the application to the
    Web Setup project in the File System Editor. After building the installer,
    you copy it to the Web server computer, where it can then be downloaded via
    a Web browser.

    Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP], Feb 23, 2004
  4. Dmitriy Lapshin [C# / .NET MVP]

    Eric Guest

    I think we can consider this a typo.

    Eric, Feb 23, 2004