    Total Unique User Agents 264

    It is fairly obvious which I don't use, but which of these *do* I use.
    I'm guessing 'visits', but since it's called a hit counter, I did wonder.

    Jim S, Sep 22, 2009

  2. Why would you want to do that? Nobody is interested in a hit count
    except you .. and you've already shown you know how to find them in your
    web logs.

    I think most web authors (other than probably rank amateurs) would agree
    that a hit counter is superfluous.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2009

  3. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    Indulge me. :eek:)
    Once I learn how to do it, I will add one to another site where the owners
    want a counter to show them visitor numbers.

    Jim S, Sep 22, 2009
  4. Jim S

    why? Guest

    :) You don't need counters on the page, neither do the other guys.
    You can access the logs, some are more basic than others. Those servers
    (such as IIS,Apache which you didn't name) where you get full info like
    date/time, status codes, referers, url, domains, etc. Then you push the
    logs through tools like Analog, http://www.analog.cx/

    Well you have a few issues,

    - getting values from the log example you showed to display on the page,
    some scripting required. It's NTL/exBY/VM you are on? So you need a
    script on your webserver to ftp, read, parse and display some
    unnecessary value on a page.

    - getting anything useful from a 1 + 1 + 1 .... hit counter.

    Look at a 3rd party counter if you really have to (sadly) have one.
    These are usually a line or 2 of code you paste into your page code with
    some sort of page id.

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 19,900,000 for
    free webpage counter
    .. (0.27 seconds)

    As to which value is important, that's the debate about counters. What
    are you counting?

    Again you could www.google.com and a bit of reading....
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,640,000 for
    web log total hits
    .. (0.25 seconds)

    You had all the keywords used in the above search in your post :)

    Description of the 'numbers'
    http://www.freetoasthost.org/docs/stats.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_analytics

    Then
    Results 1 - 10 of about 5,370,000 for
    weblog statistics
    .. (0.30 seconds)

    Me

    why?, Sep 22, 2009
  5. I have a counter on one of my pages. It displays the result of this:

    $icounter = number_format(rand(1000000, 5000000));

    and uses CSS to give the numbers a colorful display, in spans.

    It's about as useful as a real hit counter. Do note that if I am looking
    at your page, and hit Refresh numerous times, your count climbs.

    If this client of yours can't be talked out of it, at least use CSS to
    mark it as { display: none; } and tell them to read the source to see
    the numbers.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 22, 2009
  6. Jim S

    Jim S Guest

    I can do that, but from what you say, there is no way that I can get a true
    count of visitors to mine or anybody's homepage.
    Ah well.
    I might just put it on my client's site and not disillusion them by telling
    them any details.

    Jim S, Sep 22, 2009