    reader.

    Are there any web based readerw I can use or any Usenet access providers
    with web based access?

    John Dalberg, Nov 20, 2005

  2. John Dalberg

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    A link to this is on the *homepage* of Google, i.e. you don't even have to
    search for it!
    http://groups.google.co.uk

    Dave Lear, Nov 20, 2005

  3. John Dalberg

    Unk Guest

    Most servers allow additional ports.
    For example, http://www.teranews.com/serverlist.html allows 119 or 443.

    Unk, Nov 20, 2005
  4. John Dalberg

    Dave Lear Guest

    Hmm... offering port 443 for news access is a bit naughty seeing as 443 is
    intended for TCP traffic using http over SSL, i.e. https traffic. Most
    firewall administrators have to allow traffic on port 443 so that their
    users can access secure web pages such as banking details. So, transmitting
    news traffic on port 443 seems to be a deliberate attempt to circumvent
    firewall rules that would otherwise block access to newsgroups via port 119.

    Dave Lear, Nov 20, 2005
  5. John Dalberg

    AD Guest

    If you need to check up Usenet for work, then your IT guys should remove the
    block.
    If not, you could always try to do the work you are actually paid to do
    rather than using other people's resources and use your own time and
    equipment at home
    :)

    AD, Nov 20, 2005
  6. John Dalberg

    Bill Smith Guest

    Thank the lord My new job doesn't allow web access at all unless
    charged.

    We get to see the msn home page.
    Can't click on anything.

    No web arguments, just email.

    Bill Smith, Nov 20, 2005
  7. John Dalberg

    why? Guest

    No, OP could ask if port 119 to a single specific usenet server is
    allowed.
    Me

    why?, Nov 20, 2005
  8. John Dalberg

    Meat Plow Guest

    What about port 120? My NTP allows connections on that port and this may
    be an option for you.

    Meat Plow, Nov 20, 2005
  9. John Dalberg

    Mike Easter Guest

    What is your company's policy on the use of its computers and software
    and connectivity and employee worktime for usenet participation?

    What should be your and your employer's ethical responsibilities toward
    each other in this matter?

    Mike Easter, Nov 20, 2005
  10. That's an FTP port, innit?

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 20, 2005
  11. Mike Easter hitched up their overalls,
    Why is any of that your concern? He just asked a simple question. :-/

    Tattoo Vampire, Nov 20, 2005
  12. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    How many people in this world who has web access at work browse work
    related *ONLY* web sites? Usenet is no different. It's just another
    internet resource.
    Some groups are work related. I think it's *ok* if I go occationally and
    browse another non work related group.

    By your logic, people at work should stop chatting at company's expense and
    People work 8 hours a day. Do you know how much time is actually work
    related?

    John Dalberg, Nov 20, 2005
  13. John Dalberg hitched up their overalls,
    I sometimes spend 2 hours or more a day online as part of my job. I also use
    a newsreader on the job to access Adobe groups, and my boss has no problem
    with me subscribing to a few non-work related groups, so long as I don't
    abuse the privilege.

    Tattoo Vampire, Nov 20, 2005
  14. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    That will be very tough for me. In my interviews I ask if I have web
    access. If no, I'll decline. I am a developer and I need to get information
    all the time.

    John Dalberg, Nov 20, 2005
  15. John Dalberg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In John Dalberg spewed forth:
    Agreed. I research product info all the time at work. But if it's personal,
    I do that at home instead.

    On the other hand, less than half the employees at my office have Internet
    access. Why? Most of them have jobs which don't require it. Like the
    invoicing department: just not needed there.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2005
  16. John Dalberg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In John Dalberg spewed forth:
    Me. Shouldn't you? I'm not paid to do my own stuff at the office. Just like
    those idiots who call us up and want to take "surveys". I'm not paid to
    answer their questions. They get a fast goodbye. I'm paid to do company
    business.

    Besides that, I have half an hour or so worth of breaks - if I want to chat
    with a coworker, we do so in the lunch room during that break time.
    Shouldn't you?

    Stop stealing from your boss.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2005
  17. John Dalberg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Tattoo Vampire spewed forth:

    I believe he was pointing out the moral/ethical implications. Which are
    obviously pertinent to the question. If the company has declined to allow
    usenet ports to be open, that is a decision that needs to be discussed in
    the company. Getting around *any* company policy by alternate methods is
    unethical at best.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2005
  18. John Dalberg

    Mike Easter Guest

    Who is restricting the questions around here? Anyone who wants to ask a
    question can ask a question. Anyone who wants to comment on a question
    can comment on a question. Just like you did. Just like I did.

    My questions pertained to the ethical responsibilities of both the OP
    and the employer. There may also be some contractual obligations
    involved in those responsibilities by both.

    The OP enhanced the discussion with this:

    If there is something wrong with the employer's policies or the
    implementation of those policies or both, then there should be a proper
    and honest remedy to the problem, ideally enhanced by intelligent
    configuration of the firewall in question.

    If John's relationship with the employer is that he should have access
    to whatever he wants, then he shouldn't be restricted by some kind of
    inadequate firewall configuration.

    Mike Easter, Nov 21, 2005
  19. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    No I shouldn't because oru jobs are different and our business culture are
    different.
    You seem to work in a "blue collar" work environment. Punch in.. punch out,
    get breaks at specific times only. I don't work in such a rigid formal work
    work culture so don't expect everyone to be like you. In fact I wouldn't
    work in a company like yours.

    As for the lunch breaks, you expect all employees to have breaks at the
    same time. Where I work, everyone takes a break whenever they want.

    Now go back to work.

    John Dalberg, Nov 21, 2005
  20. John Dalberg

    John Dalberg Guest

    I asked for a web based reader. I didn't ask for how to circumvent a
    firewall. They blocked port 119 for security reasons, not because they
    don't want people to check Usenet. FYI, there are tons og bulletins baords,
    Google groups and Yahoo groups that offer public messages.

    You're starting to annoy me with your moral BS. I don't need to get a
    lecture from you. My request is for a web based reader. I didn't ask your
    opinion about what's moral and what's not. So I suggest you take a hike and
    go lecture someone else.

    John Dalberg, Nov 21, 2005