    I know, both a little old - shows how long I have been putting it off!
    To me, neither seem particularly intuitive to use.

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 5, 2005

  2. David Littlewood

    Pete Guest

    Sounds like your project is pretty straightforward. FrontPage 2000 can
    certainly do it, but it does have a number of confusing hurdles to overcome
    before you become proficient.

    If you'd like to try a 5-minute web gallery builder, there's JpegSizer. It
    will resize your images for both thumbnails and "full-size" images, at the
    same time as it generates the HTML pages for a web gallery. All you need to
    specify is the headings etc on the web pages.

    Free trial download at http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer/?s=ng

    Hope this helps...

    Pete

    Pete, Nov 6, 2005

  3. David Littlewood

    c Guest

    You may want to check out this site: http://www.nvu.com/

    The program is free and they have Windows/Mac/Linux versions. I used Nvu in
    Linux because it was the closest thing I could find to Dreamweaver MX. If
    you can find a trial version of Dreamweaver MX, you may want to also check
    it out. It is totally different than version 4, and in my opinion, much
    easier to use.

    Chris

    c, Nov 6, 2005

  4. To be honest, I think that learning a little HTML and CSS is likely to
    be much easier than learning Dreamweaver (I am told that producing good
    results in Dreamweaver sometimes requires you to dive into the HTML and
    CSS anyway, and I can think of reasons why this is likely to be the case
    with any web-authoring package.) And Frontpage is notorious for
    producing terrible markup.

    Mark Tranchant has produced one of the better introductory tutorials:
    http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-tutorial/

    As it happens I've just knocked up this very simple page for some
    colleagues: http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/atlisdag/ Feel free to copy
    the HTML if it's any use to you. I produced the JPG's using the batch
    processing facility in Irfanview.

    Stephen Poley, Nov 6, 2005
  5. How do you intend to get these things on the 'net? Do you have a server?
    Probably not, given the phrasing of your question. Do you plan to
    purchase some hosting from a services company? Or are you hoping to
    utilitise the N-megabytes of free web space your ISP gives you?

    It matters because the more automation you require, the more advanced
    hosting service you need. Managing a website with even a few dozen
    images requires some technological assistance - having to write another
    25 HTML pages by hand when you want to put another set of images up is a
    pain, and it's enough of a pain to prevent you doing it.

    As you correctly surmise, a tool like Dreamweaver or Frontpage will help
    a lot. You produce a template of your photo page, then create a new page
    from that template for each new photo - it's a drag and frop exercise.
    Unfortunately you need to learn the tool, and you're right, they're not
    as easy as you might think. I've been coding HTML for years and once
    took 2 solid weeks to try to learn Dreamweaver. I failed - it's a dog's
    breakfast of an application - but that was undoubtedly down to my short
    comings, since an awful lot of websites do get written with it. I had
    more success with Frontpage, even to the point of getting my
    computer-illiterate other half to produce her own website with it
    (http://www.scratters.com/tina/purepilates/). That's because it's more
    basic, the downside of which is that Frontpage websites look just that -
    Frontpage websites.

    Another option would be to use a custom written program to produce the
    website for you. This free one is hugely popular and could quite
    possibly be what you need:

    http://gallery.menalto.com/

    The issue there is that you need a particular setup on your webserver -
    PHP with safe_mode off. You also need a database for the latest version.

    Then again, I have friend who uses this:

    http://www.breezesys.com/index.htm

    Which produces simple, basic HTML pages. I've never seen it being used,
    but he seems happy enough with it (http://www.esses.co.uk/, the front
    page of his website is his own work).

    Which all brings me back to my original point. If it's your server, PHP
    and a DB are no problem - look into Gallery et al. If you're buying some
    hosting space it shouldn't be a problem as long as the hosting provider
    can match those requirements (and most will, I would have thought). If
    you're using your ISP's free web space, you'll probably have to deliver
    nothing but the HTML pages, which most likely means Frontpage or
    Dreamweaver. Frontpage 2000 will do what you want, and in my experience
    is the easier to use. But the Breezesys product would probably be easier
    still, and they have a trial to download, so maybe start there?

    Derek Fountain, Nov 6, 2005
  6. David Littlewood

    Charlie Self Guest

    I'm using Yahoo's Site Builder. How it will work when it is uploaded, I
    don't yet know--later today, tomorrow or the next day for that--but
    I've tried several ways to do it, including Frontpage, and have always
    quit. Now, it is just touch up work, make sure the grammar is correct,
    photos are where I want them, etc., and then run up the flag. I hope.

    This is about the simplest site design set up program I've seen, and,
    so far, the only only one I've seen that works when you're off-line, a
    bit help when you're using a dial up modem that gets booted off with
    every incoming phone call.

    Charlie Self, Nov 6, 2005
  7. David Littlewood

    simon Guest

    I used Net Objects Fusion 7, which came free on a magazine coverdisc, to
    create my site. [ www.srsteel.co.uk ]
    it is entirely 'drag and drop' orientated and needs no 'coding' knowledge at
    all...
    I produced my first website, with no prior experience within about 20
    minutes.

    If you're lucky and scour the computer magazines you may find a copy of NOF7
    being given away.
    A free trial of Net Objects Fusion 8, the latest version, can be downloaded
    here....
    http://www.netobjects.com/products/html/download.html

    Simon.

    simon, Nov 6, 2005
  8. David Littlewood

    Peter Aerts Guest

    Peter Aerts, Nov 6, 2005
  9. David Littlewood

    kctan Guest

    Dreamweaver 4 is good enough but with some knowledge of html will help in
    many occasions when you need to fine tune a page.
    http://web.singnet.com.sg/~kcpps

    kctan, Nov 6, 2005
  10. David Littlewood

    Jerry Shaw Guest

    David,

    I've been using JAlbum (http://jalbum.net/). It does what I want it to do, and
    handles the (literally) thousands of pictures I have on my site, generating
    the thumbnails, creating the linking pages and reducing the pictures down to
    the size I want.

    I create a simple top-page, then link it to the top-level JAlbum picture pages
    for each of my categories.

    Jerry

    Jerry Shaw, Nov 6, 2005
  11. FWIW, there are extensions for Dreamweaver that will make gallery pages for
    you. I used to use these. However these days I am using JAlbum,
    http://jalbum.net and then apply my sites templates to the gallery pages. I
    don't go as far as applying to every photo page.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 6, 2005
  12. David Littlewood

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    What makes you want to create your own site rather than use pbase,
    flickr, etc.? Is it cost or being able to customize the look and feel?

    Bruce Lewis, Nov 7, 2005
  13. Thanks, Pete. I'm currently investigating NetObjects Fusion 7 and
    JAlbum, as recommended by other responders, but I'll certainly keep that
    one in reserve.

    Regards,

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 7, 2005
  14. Thanks for that, Chris. I'm trying NetObjects Fusion and JAlbum right
    now, but if they don't suit I may go buy an upgrade to MX, or try NVU.

    Regards,

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 7, 2005
  15. Thanks Stephen. I had indeed suspected that Dreamweaver required the odd
    excursion into HTML, and I'm trying to avoid that, just too many calls
    on my time! I'm currently investigating NetObjects Fusion 7 and JAlbum,
    as recommended by other responders, but I'll certainly keep those
    tutorials in mind if I have to go back to HTML.

    Regards,

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 7, 2005
  16. My broadband ISP provider includes 20Mb of web space in the package, so
    I figured I may as well use it. I really have no intention of running my
    own web server - sounds hard work!
    Yes, I thought the templates looked "very early 1990's Powerpoint" sort
    of thing.
    Thanks for these thoughts. Pete. I'm currently investigating NetObjects
    Fusion 7 and JAlbum, as recommended by other responders, but I'll
    certainly keep this advice archived in case I need it.

    Regards,

    David

    David Littlewood, Nov 7, 2005
  17. David Littlewood

    Al Dykes Guest

    Google "jalbum" and you'll find jalbum.net and a ton of third party
    skins. It's *very* easy to get starte with.

    Al Dykes, Nov 8, 2005
  18. David,

    I found that I don't like the Frontpage photo gallery too much,
    so I used a very simple approach. I let the free program
    IrfanView generate the web pages.

    You can check the results at http://www.michna.com/photos/ . If
    that's good enough for you, you can copy the two templates
    thumbnails.html and frame.html from that web folder and reuse
    them. You can, of course, modify them or use the original
    templates that come with IrfanView.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Nov 9, 2005
  19. David Littlewood

    Don Wiss Guest

    Using a web hosting firm is the same effort as using your ISP. Just for $5
    a month you can have a URL that is yours forever.

    Don Wiss, Nov 9, 2005
  20. David Littlewood

    Bill Funk Guest

    Well, for under $10/year, anyway.
    www.godaddy.com
    The $5/mo would be for someplace to put the domain to work for you.
    And, at www.1and1.com, you can have a place on the web for under
    $3.00/mo.

    While I use Godaddy, I'm not a client of 1and1.com.

    Bill Funk, Nov 9, 2005