    Anyone have any ideas why I can't create a new project?

    Thanks,
    Steve

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Yes, you can't create a new project because you need a web server.

    If you're on XP Home, you're SOL, unless you want to use Cassini. On
    2000 or XP Professional, install IIS.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. I understand that I
    can't create a new project because I don't have a web
    server, but what does SQL (XP home user) have to do with
    it? Can you elaborate in detail on how I'm supposed to
    start a web application, or point me to a url? Thanks in
    advance!!

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Guest

    hello Guest

    Hi Steve,

    I'm not sure what you problem is, but you might want to take a look at
    aspnet_regiis.exe

    You might need to register ASP.NET on your IIS Web server by executing
    aspnet_regiis -i

    You can find aspnet_regiis.exe in
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 (yours might be in a slightly
    different folder).

    hello, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Guest

    David Guest

    IIS is not available on XP Home edition - If you've got XP Pro - Go to Add
    Remove Programs - Add Remove Windows Components - Select IIS. I would
    reccommend you install everything (I know you need the Front Page server
    extensions)
    If you still have problems try an re-install of VS.NET. You will know if
    IIS is set up properly as you should get a warning message if this isn't set
    up.
    Hope this helps,

    David W
    MCP

    David, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Guest

    Ramon Guest

    Using File Share is an alternative to the Front Page
    server extensions method for accessing the web server.

    Ramon, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Read more closely -- I didn't say "you're SQL", I said "you're SOL",
    meaning $hit-out-of-luck.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  8. I think he's missing his web server entirely.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks everyone.. i just resolved the problem by
    installing win xp pro..

    Guest, Nov 24, 2003
  10. I hope I'm not the only one that finds that sentence -- out of context
    -- to be hilarious.

    General Protection Fault, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    David,

    I tried the below mentioned instructions. It is asking me
    to insert a XP prof SP 2 CD to install IIS. Where can I
    find this CD (it is not available with my standard
    windows XP prof OS CD)? Do I have to download microsoft
    updates in order to do this? Thanks a lot for this
    information.

    -Arch B

    Guest, Dec 2, 2003
  12. Guest

    Paul Robson Guest

    Hi. I have XP Pro and IIS. All I did was go to Add/Remove Programs,
    select "Windows Components" and it should be there.

    You can't install it on top of XP Home without a huge hack.

    Paul Robson, Dec 2, 2003