Weak signal. Wireless router connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me6, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. me6

    me6 Guest

    Situation:

    My 18 yr old nephew is in Kansas City now...... living at his aunts
    house there.

    They bought a Linksys wireless router so he could use his desktop PC
    upstairs in his room.

    The router is downstairs

    His signal strength is weak..... maybe one "bar". And it drops out at
    times.

    Oh...... this is the B version of wireless and he is running Win XP
    pro

    Having said all that what can be done to increase signal strength?
    Obviously they will move the antennas around a bit but that may not
    help. And the router and PC cant really be moved much anyway due to
    their locations.

    Is B wireless just on the weak side and should they have gotten the G
    version?

    Any devices to let one move or extend the "antennas" on either the
    router end or PC end or both?

    Advice on what to tell them to do?

    Thanks in advance!

    me6, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Try adding an external antenna to one or both devices with enough gain
    to bring the signal up to usuable standards. A 12dbi or stronger panel
    antenna aimed in the direction of the other device would probably be
    enough, if not, add an antenna to both devices. You'll need a pigtail to
    go from the router to the antenna.

    http://www.fab-corp.com has a bunch of antennas. The Maxrad WISP antenna
    for about $39 is good. From what I saw, Linksys uses either a reverse
    TNC connector or an RP-SMA connector, depending on your model. The other
    end of the pigtail should be N male to connect to most antennas.

    You can also "roll-your-own" antenna if you like DIY stuff.
    http://www.freeantennas.com/

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 4, 2004

  3. me6

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    127.0.0.1, Aug 4, 2004
  4. me6

    Scribner Guest

    Try changing the channel.

    Scribner, Aug 4, 2004
  5. me6

    jsc Guest

    put the router on the main floor or closer to the area of the computer or
    maybe put a access point on the main floor.. still trying to figure out a
    similar problem.. but putting on the main floor instead of the basement gave
    me excellent signal anywhere in the house

    jsc, Aug 4, 2004